Dead Rising 3 is targeting 30fps; having to get MS to help

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Capcom seems to be struggling with Dead Rising 3. Digital Foundry said the game dipped to 15 fps with the E3 demo, and in a bizarre statement they've come out saying they are "targeting 30 fps" which is quite concerning.

To add to that they talk about how they've had to get people from MS to help out.
"We're targeting 30 frames a second," Leigh added, "and because we're based in Vancouver, and Seattle is where Microsoft is based, we're only three hours up the road so we constantly have tech people driving back and forth and they're helping us to make this a very smooth running game at launch."

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/dead_rising_3/news/capcom_working_with_microsoft_to_improve_dead_rising_3_performance_in_time_for_launch.html

Let us remind ourselves of the stunning visuals this game has.

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_dead_rising_3-22836-2735_0004.jpg

Comments

• Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My only question is, hardware limitations or incompetent developers?
  • redhatmattredhatmatt Posts: 5,197
    Forum Member

Or Devs unfamiliar with the hardware.
  • He4rtHe4rt Posts: 5,379
    Forum Member
    This is one of my most anticipated titles. The work they're doing with Kinect and Smart Glass sounds like a lot of fun.

Hopefully they get things sorted for the final release.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    redhatmatt wrote: »
    Or Devs unfamiliar with the hardware.

Yeah hopefully. Either way I'm looking forward to it.
  • kendogukkendoguk Posts: 13,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why would it be hardware? Forza 5 runs at 60fps all the other games seem to be doing fine, it's clearly the team who are struggling
  • muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »
    Why would it be hardware? Forza 5 runs at 60fps all the other games seem to be doing fine, it's clearly the team who are struggling

Driving games have always been relatively easy to get good frame rates. The polygons tend to be static in shape and require no regular deformation (other than flags and the odd tree). In addition Forza uses baked lighting which improves FPS a huge amount at the expense of realism. FPS's on the other hand have deforming models for the characters. In a game like dead rising there are hundreds of individual NPCs all moving independently and all needing advanced calculations to render the image.

It's really not that surprising that 30 FPS is difficult to achieve. Having said that, they do need to get 30 otherwise the game is going to be pretty bad.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kendoguk wrote: »

The hard ware is a mid to high pc so don't see why that should be the issue?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xbox One is not mid-to-high. It is mid.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopoff wrote: »
    Xbox One is not mid-to-high. It is mid.

Mid?

Oh dear :o
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To add to that they talk about how they've had to get people from MS to help out.

Its good the hear a developer is asking for help early on because they are having problems developing for the hardware.

Bethesda take note !!!!!!
  • Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let us remind ourselves of the stunning visuals this game has.

http://images.gamersyde.com/image_dead_rising_3-22836-2735_0004.jpg

I see your still flogging that one image. The gameplay trailers make the game look good.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    I see your still flogging that one image. The gameplay trailers make the game look good.

I don't think any Dead Rising games can be considered to have brilliant graphics.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

2 questions though.

What hardware were those gameplay trailers actually running on?

How come their recent trailer was a CGI one, when those are usually reserved for a game's early days?
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A facebook friend just put the boot into Sony in a status, and i didn't take it as a personal insult.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The gameplay looks fun and for me gameplay is always more important that graphics so that picture doesn't do anything to put me off the game. And yeah, you cant really prove anything with one picture.