Best version of Ubuntu for old laptop

I want to install Ubuntu on an old Medion laptop. The latest versions install but don't boot, just a black screen.
Been told it's something to do with the via chrome 9 graphics chip.
So what is the best version to try to install ?

Comments

• Norbert5Norbert5 Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    I want to install Ubuntu on an old Medion laptop. The latest versions install but don't boot, just a black screen.
    Been told it's something to do with the via chrome 9 graphics chip.
    So what is the best version to try to install ?
    I'm still using Mint 9 so its Ubuntu 10.04 and some later versions will work but mint 9 had long term support which ended in April 13 .

I installed mint 9 two days ago and also downloaded over 500 updates but I don't think there will be any new updates
    but I was getting new updates in July .
  • Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Norbert5 wrote: »
    I'm still using Mint 9 so its Ubuntu 10.04 and some later versions will work but mint 9 had long term support which ended in April 13 .

I installed mint 9 two days ago and also downloaded over 500 updates but I don't think there will be any new updates
    but I was getting new updates in July .

I got Ubuntu 10.10 (I think) to work but it says it's no longer supported with updates and say I can upgrade to 11.04.
    Not sure to risk it now I have it up and running..
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got Ubuntu 10.10 (I think) to work but it says it's no longer supported with updates and say I can upgrade to 11.04.
    Not sure to risk it now I have it up and running..

Whys youre prefrence Ubuntu?
    Is it just for the resale value, eg Ubuntu is well known?
    Forum Member
    1saintly wrote: »
    Whys youre prefrence Ubuntu?
    Is it just for the resale value, eg Ubuntu is well known?

I just wanted to get an old laptop up and running.
    Windows was screwed on it, I had no recovery disc, the recovery partition had been deleted, and I didn't want to pay for a new Windows disc as the laptop is quite old. Medion from Woolies bought well before it closed..

I only want it as a backup if the lappy I use all the time goes down. Plus my brothers kids can use it when they visit..
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    If you have a certificate of authenticity with a windows serial number the installation isos are not that hard to find. and it'll be a lot faster than you remember.

probably add a bit more ram for a couple of quid off ebay.
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    If you have a certificate of authenticity with a windows serial number the installation isos are not that hard to find. and it'll be a lot faster than you remember.

probably add a bit more ram for a couple of quid off ebay.
    Lost the serial number a long time ago, unless there is a sticker on the laptop.
    I installed more RAM a few weeks before it went tits up,
    Forum Member
    Lost the serial number a long time ago, unless there is a sticker on the laptop.
    I installed more RAM a few weeks before it went tits up,

there should be a sticker on the laptop.
    Forum Member
    there should be a sticker on the laptop.

There is a Microsoft sticker under the laptop but one set is a product key plus another set of numbers e.g. 12345-000-000-000. Nothing saying serial No. If I find the serial No how do I get the iso?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    There is a Microsoft sticker under the laptop but one set is a product key plus another set of numbers e.g. 12345-000-000-000. Nothing saying serial No. If I find the serial No how do I get the iso?

Product key is what you want
    It should be in the format XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

What MS os is the sticker saying?
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Product key is what you want
    It should be in the format XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

What MS os is the sticker saying?

Got the product key, just need the serial No.. Think it was Vista.
    Forum Member
    There are via linux drivers for the via chrome 9 graphics chip, check the via site, created by the linux portal group

http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp
    Forum Member
    Got the product key, just need the serial No.. Think it was Vista.

no product key is all you need.

write out everything that it says on the CoA apart from the product key itself.
  • henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    LXLE based on Lubuntu is great for old laptops and netbooks and performs quicker and runs smoother than for example Windows 7 http://www.lxle.net/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Have you tried Xubuntu its a less pretty version of the main version http://xubuntu.org
    Forum Member
    Just a thought you could always try installing the MS Windows 8.1 preview.
    Not sure what your spec is though, but worth a try for fun.

If it can run vista, it probably will be ok for W8.

Minimum spec for W8 is:
    Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    Free hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

What memory and processor is the laptop?
    Forum Member
    no product key is all you need.

write out everything that it says on the CoA apart from the product key itself.

Cheers I'll get do that later, better get off by backside and do some work for now..
    Forum Member
    Just a thought you could always try installing the MS Windows 8.1 preview.
    Not sure what your spec is though, but worth a try for fun.

If it can run vista, it probably will be ok for W8.

Minimum spec for W8 is:
    Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
    RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
    Free hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

What memory and processor is the laptop?
    Can't remember all that stuff now.. How do I find system info in ubuntu 10.10
    Forum Member
    Can't remember all that stuff now.. How do I find system info in ubuntu 10.10

If sysinfo is installed, use
    Applications--->System Tools--->Sysinfo

Or use

Ctrl – Alt – T on your keyboard to open Terminal.
    Enter on the terminal cmd line
    sudo lshw -html >> system_info.html
    then to view it in a browser, enter in the terminal
    firefox system_info.html
    Forum Member
    Applications--->System Tools--->Sysinfo

Under Applications I don't have sysinfo, only calculator, character map, disc usage, manage print jobs, search for files, take a screen shot, terminal, text editor and tomboy notes..

I've tried downloading sysinfo form ubuntu software centre but it asks me to insert ubuntu disc the I get failed to fetch or something..
    Forum Member
    Try the terminal method I mentioned then
    Forum Member
    Try the terminal method I mentioned then

Tried that, just says not installed and when I try to install it it fails as does any other software I try to download or if it does download it fails to install
    Forum Member
    oh, sounds more like you have a root account problem or 10.10 is too old to connect for sw updates

Have another look in the installed apps for anything like system info or system, must be something there for ubuntu 10, a long time back so not sure what was installed for that version, the latest ubuntu has sysinfo or equivalent already installed

What is the exact model of the medion laptop, must be a spec online somewhere that gives you some idea
    Forum Member
    oh, sounds more like you have a root account problem or 10.10 is too old to connect for sw updates

Have another look in the installed apps for anything like system info or system, must be something there for ubuntu 10, a long time back so not sure what was installed for that version, the latest ubuntu has sysinfo or equivalent already installed

What is the exact model of the medion laptop, must be a spec online somewhere that gives you some idea

Model I think is MIM 2310.
    Looks like I will have to upgrade to 11.04 or 11.10 versions the latest 12.xx or 13.xx install but won't boot..
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried Xubuntu its a less pretty version of the main version http://xubuntu.org

I've found Lubuntu is much better on older, lower specced kit. Ubuntu & Xubuntu were just a wee bit bloated last time I tried them out.