Introduction from a self confessed 3D printer evangelist

Just a quick hello from your newest member, and thanks for having me here.

While I enjoy gadgetry of all kinds, I am really here to find out more about how other members are using the new technology of 3D printing.

In attempt to offer full disclosure, I recently finished a newly launched ebook on the subject entitled “3D Printing: The Next Technology Gold Rush – Future Factories and How to Capitalize on Distributed Manufacturing.” Thanks to President Obama's recent mention of the subject in his SOTU address, my sales have sky-rocketed, and now I want to connect with other individuals who are starting to turn a profit with their 3D Printers.

For this reason I am now especially interested in talking to grass roots 3D printer users. I will be happy to share my own experience in terms of experiments and look forward to learning what other members think of this amazing technology, and how you are utilising it today.

So, while I read through the message archive, is there anybody else here currently using a 3D printer?

Chris

Comments

• SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Until it becomes more mainstream/affordable/needed, I don't see any desire to have one.

As an appliance engineer I do sometimes wish I could just redesign some of the components to a better standard etc. But even then I can't see it being practical.

Nice plug for the book btw ;)
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Is there anyone who owns one who hasn't tried to model their junk?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    As an appliance engineer I do sometimes wish I could just redesign some of the components to a better standard etc. But even then I can't see it being practical.

This is definitely one of the most exciting aspects of the tech for me too.

Have you seen the new Mesh Up software?
    How about the work of Bathsheba?
    Nice plug for the book btw ;)

Sorry about that, but I wanted to be upfront rather than be accused of trolling at a later stage.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Hmmm... post number two and it's an advert for a book that's been written by the OP. That sounds a little spammy to me.

I do however, think that 3d printing will come down in price and while probably we won't have them in our houses we'll be able to go to FAB shops to print our stuff and take it home.
    Forum Member
    Pretinama wrote: »
    Hmmm... post number two and it's an advert for a book that's been written by the OP. That sounds a little spammy to me.

Sorry about that, I am quite new to this and am still trying to find the balance between spam and generating genuine discussion.

I thought that spamming was just a hit and run tactic, and that every time I answered a reply went on to prove that I was a real person and not a spam bot. Is that not how it works?
    Pretinama wrote: »
    I do however, think that 3d printing will come down in price and while probably we won't have them in our houses we'll be able to go to FAB shops to print our stuff and take it home.

I am with you 100% on that but I am surprised just how fast prices are falling. Look at the price of this Makerbot on Taobao for example (No connection)

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1.4004-68209796.5.W7s3mi&id=17242311771

It is a nice price but I think I am still going to hold out for a Delta.
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am amazed at how long it has taken these devices to catch the public's attention. I work in the technical press and was writing about this technology in the late 90s. Sandia Laboratories even had one working with metal.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP may as well just have posted a link and got it over with.

By the way thats against forum rules, so dont.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/announcement.php?f=249
    Forum Member
    fletchem wrote: »
    I am amazed at how long it has taken these devices to catch the public's attention. I work in the technical press and was writing about this technology in the late 90s. Sandia Laboratories even had one working with metal.

So why do you think it has taken 10 years or more to become a hot topic?
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris, I think the utility vs. cost is the main barrier to consumer 3d printing, added to the fact that the very cheap printers do not produce quality output.

It's like 9 pin matrix print vs laser print when comparing home and commercial 3d printing.

FYI I keep a shop front over on Shapeways. Even there, people's expectations (a 3d rendering of a product) always exceeds that of the output from even the best printing tech. One reason why I never try to sell items without photos of the actual 3d print.

Mainstream coverage (Wired) tends to fall into the futurism of 3d printing houses, cars etc although body parts are currently possible.

The Shapeways site is a good indicator (IMHO) of what's possible in the 3d print world, and the costs associated with it.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    chrisdw wrote: »
    So why do you think it has taken 10 years or more to become a hot topic?

I'd say because at the moment the reality does not meet the expectations. I think for most people there is no need for one based on what can be created at the moment.
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I'd say because at the moment the reality does not meet the expectations. I think for most people there is no need for one based on what can be created at the moment.

This is the main reason that I decided to write a book on the subject. I found so many people were using them already and wanted to show others that they could indeed be very useful.

In the meantime, this story might be the big change that the tech really needs.

http://www.stuff.tv/news/life-etc/news-nugget/makerbot-reveals-3d-scanner-for-easy-home-3d-printing
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nokia has what they call 3dk for their Lumias with removable back shells so one can create their own. It's a nice idea, but still quite "exotic", imo.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dad was reading about 3d printers the other day and he totally misunderstood what they printed. He thought they printed 3d pictures you can see with 3d glasses! :D
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Nokia has what they call 3dk for their Lumias with removable back shells so one can create their own. It's a nice idea, but still quite "exotic", imo.

Yes Nokia released the 3d files for the Lumias but a home (ie affordable) printer just wouldn't be accurate enough to print replacements. It would be a challenge getting the tolerances right on a commercial set up.
    Forum Member
    zapod wrote: »
    Yes Nokia released the 3d files for the Lumias.

Can you post a link for this please. I would be very interested to have a look.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisdw wrote: »
    Can you post a link for this please. I would be very interested to have a look.

Here's something

https://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/3D_print_a_shell_for_your_Nokia_Phone
    Forum Member
    IvanIV wrote: »

Very cool! Thank you.
    I wrote extensively about Teenage Engineering making 3d files available for their accessories, but it is great to hear that the big boys are now following suit.
    http://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-1/accessories
    Thanks again for the heads up.

Chris