Backing-up Kindle Books

WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
Forum Member
✭✭
Apologies if there's an existing thread on this; I couldn't see one. Now that I have a few books on my Kindle, I'm paranoid about losing it! Is there a way I can back-up the titles on my laptop? Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're only paranoid about losing your Kindle - don't worry all your books are stored on Amazon's servers, I broke my Kindle bought another and just redownloaded everything I wanted from Amazon.

If you're worried about losing access to your Amazon account, then you'd need to copy the files over to your laptop, and remove the drm. If you're non-technical it may be more trouble than it's worth.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think you needed to. If anything happens, just download again from Amazon. They know what you've downloaded so you won't need to purchase things again.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Connect to PC with USB cable, copy the contents of a folder Documents to your PC. Indeed you do not have to backup books bought from Amazon, but if you have books on it from another source it's good to backup those.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiggs wrote: »
    If you're only paranoid about losing your Kindle - don't worry all your books are stored on Amazon's servers, I broke my Kindle bought another and just redownloaded everything I wanted from Amazon.

If you're worried about losing access to your Amazon account, then you'd need to copy the files over to your laptop, and remove the drm. If you're non-technical it may be more trouble than it's worth.

Of course removing the DRM can be considered illegal. However it isn't difficult. All you need is calibre and some plug ins. I am relying on amazon to store all my books but I have copied all the books from my kindle across to my laptop just in case anything happens and I'm forced to use calibre to liberate them.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    It may be worth backing up books just in case Amazon goes back to its old tricks of secretly deleting ebooks or blocking people's accounts based on duff evidence.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone, for the good advice! :)