50th Anniversary - what do you want to happen?

tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
Forum Member
✭✭✭
There is only just over a year to go before Doctor Who becomes 50 years old. Well, 50 years since the very first story 'An Unearthly Child' was broadcast on BBC1. So I was just wondering what people hoped would happen, to celebrate this big occasion in TV history.

I'd love it if there was a multiple Doctor story. Bringing back Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, and David Tennant. I read on the net a few months back that Chris Eccleston wasn't keen on going back, and Tom was thinking about it and hadn't said yes 100%.

I'd also love it if Matt Smith regenerated, but with a twist. He regenerates back into a past Doctor and for the episode after that, he has to find a way to regenerate back into the 11th Dr. It would be fun! :D

What are your thoughts and suggestions? I'd love to know, as I'm a such a huge fan of the show. I have got every Dr Who dvd so far. All the classic stories that are on DVD plus every story on DVD broadcast between 2005 and 2012.

Comments

• sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now this wont ever happen, and even if it did, I'd really want the anniversarry to be a couple of years away as I love Matt Smith, he's my favourite Doctor and I dont want him to go, but anyway, here's what I'd like to see (there's also lots of other stuff which couldnt ever happen, so this isnt really what I think will happen, more just the ideal fans 50th anniversarry)...

Series 7.2=After her introduction in the Christmas special, the new companion continues her adventures with the Doctor. However, at first, I'd have her being in a similar situation to Martha in series 3, she's not in love with the Doctor, but she's always being compared to Amy and Rory in the Doctors eyes.I'd even have one episode where the Doctor imagines he's still travelling with Amy and Rory, either he see's Oswin as Amy, or kidnaps 2 people and makes them believe their Amy and Rory, they become the Ponds (Gillan and Darvill would come back, or maybe just Darvill, mainly cos I didnt think their ending was that good). Then at the end if the series, we would have the 11th regeneration story. The fall of the eleventh. Fields of Trenzalore. To show then of the 11th Doctors era and the beginning of new adventures, we'd have him finally move on from Amy and Rory and become as close to Oswin as he was to them, enjoying her for being her, continuing to travel with her, making no mention of the Ponds, (maybe gets a new costume, 12's costume), then after the big finale etc (River should be there, mabe this is how we;re shown that the old era's over, but a new one will begin, 11 ould realise it's time for River to go ti the Library, he tells her his name, then goes off with Oswin), 11 dies and the Doctor regenerates.

Then we have the specials and you see why it's important we have a regeneration:

Suffering from post regenerative trauma etc, the Doctor forgets who he is, he has no idea, has no memory of anything, just 2 words, a question, Dr Who? He spends time looking around the TARDIS. We see all sorts of stuff, other rooms, the bedrooms, the swimming pool, the library, the secondary control room, the hospital, the kitchen, the wardrobe, the toilet(!), finds lots of past Doctors belongings, but nothing rings any bells. The TARDIS decides to help him. Risks breaking all laws of time by taking him back into his personal history, his timeline (lots of different versions of history which the TARDIS can only reach cos they have to exist for the Doctor to exist e.g. the classic series (I explain why much of the classic series cant be in the same timeline as Nu Who later)), to allow him to meet his past selves, to help him remember who he is. From here on in, for most of 2013, in a series of specials, the Doctor is basically meeting has past selves, and remembers the events of each life as he does so. I'd bring in lots of past writers e.g. Dicks, Saward, Cartmel, Aaronvitch, RTD, and I'd have different sorts of episodes to reflect each era.

The stories could be about anything, I have different ideas in my head. You could start with a young(ish) first Doctor on his travels, (very mysterious, even malicious), he knows Gallifrey faces an unimaginably powerful enemy forwwards and sideways in time, that one day the Time Lords will be brought into a war with this enemy, a war fought throughout aln time and which will, inevitably, change much of the timeline, and, it's said, bring about the end of the world. The Doctor goes to Earth to hide the Hand of Omega, a device which could be used as a weapon by the unknown enemy.

I might have another 1st Doctor episode, though obviously Hartnell being dead raises problems, where it's quite educational, like W Hartnell episodes, no aliens, just a historical story, amybe he meets the real King Arthur or Robin Hood, that would be interesting.

We have 12 then meeting the 2nd Doctor, and now it's just aliens (probably Cybermen, they were 2's aliens). For the Doctors who are now to old, or to dead, you could have archive fotage etc, like with the Star Trek TOS/DS9 Crossover. Alternately, you could have a massively aged 2nd Doctor, canonise the season 6b storyline.

A 3rd Doctor story, earthbound, Quatermass-ish, with U.N.I.T.

I'd have 2 4th Doctor stories, 1 being very gothic horror to represent the early T Baker era, a Moffatt penned story to horrify kiddies, a scary new monster (or ghosts of old, then can use archive footage?), and 1 would be a comedy episode, to represent the latter half of the era. If you wanted to use the actor rather than old footage, as obviously Toms still alive and up for it, you could have him being stuck in that time eddy during the 5 Doctors, maybe years pass in there while the other 5 work to undo everything, maybe he ages in there and relives old adventures (you could have the same thing with the 1st Doctor story, only there he imagines he's young again so you can use a dofferent actor)).

To bring back Peter Davidson despte him being old now, you could revisit the distiallation of the 5th Doctor (rather than 5 himself) which we see Logopolis, maybe have the Watcher and 12 watching Logopolis together, seeing the birth of the 5th Doctor.

And how could you do the 6th Doctor? Well, we all know his regeneration was particularly difficult, maybe after the Twin Dilemma, he ages rapidly as a side effect, only recovers after a bit. A 7th Doctor story next, mainly acting as a prelude to the next story, it could be set within remembrance of the Daleks, the Doctor finally discovers the identity of his worst enemy. Alternately, it could be set after Survival, maybe Ace's departure story.

Then we have the revelation that much of the classic series time line has "gone wrong," time is being changed. This is the result of the time war, altering entire histories. We have all the classic Doctors teaming up (this could be the actual 50th Anniversarry episode shown on the 23rd, as you could include NuWho Doctors as well, explain that the future later changed after 8's given the oppurtunity to end the war) to help fight the Time Lords defeat the Daleks. They succeed. But due to the Daleks now being able to rival the Time Lords time travel abilities, the are able to undo these events. It is only the beginning.

the next special, after (literally) an eternity of war in which every single event in the war, all of Gallifrey's history, has become timelocked. The 8th Doctor finds a way to end the war, erasing from history all of the Time Lords, he only exists because it's him who pulls th trigger, he has to exist for the others to not exist. Now the last of the time lords, the 8th Doctor regenerates, becomes 9.

A 10th Doctor story, written by RTD, the Doctor rediscovers himself, keeps on going, Time Lords surviving in him. A new life, a new era, reflects new revivla of series. It's not the end, just the beginning.

12 now remembers who he is, just needs to remember how he became the Doctor he is now. Go meets 11, an 11th Doctor story, Amy and Rory, River Song, complicated convoluted arcs etc, new Daleks.

The grand finale to the specials, starts off the 8th series, say, this is the 1st episode, All massive stuff. 12 is reunited with Oswin. Sail off into the future.

Series 8.

What do you think?
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the 50th anniversary, it would be nice for the Doctor to find a note from the first Doctor to the 11th Doctor, that was lost in time but found it's way, telling the Doctor of a place that even the Tardis doesn't know, a place which the Doctor must find, that will answer his question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandydune wrote: »
    On the 50th anniversary, it would be nice for the Doctor to find a note from the first Doctor to the 11th Doctor, that was lost in time but found it's way, telling the Doctor of a place that even the Tardis doesn't know, a place which the Doctor must find, that will answer his question.

WOW! Nice one Sandy!:)
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pajs1000 wrote: »
    WOW! Nice one Sandy!:)
    Just a little idea, stop, making me blush lol:o
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't want doctors 4-7 back. It's a nice idea, but I think practically having to shoehorn 3 guys in their 70's, and one in his 60's back into their old costumes would stretch credibility to breaking point, unless it was animated sequences in the episode or something along those lines. I don't expect it to happen.

Having said that, I am looking forward to whatever Big Finish comes up with for it, as I think it is probably the better format for classic multi doctor stories.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Now this wont ever happen, and even if it did, I'd really want the anniversarry to be a couple of years away as I love Matt Smith, he's my favourite Doctor and I dont want him to go, but anyway, here's what I'd like to see (there's also lots of other stuff which couldnt ever happen, so this isnt really what I think will happen, more just the ideal fans 50th anniversarry)...
    [snip]
    What do you think?

Wow! You have clearly spent a lot of time on these ideas and it shows a great love of the show. A lot of good stuff for dyed in the wool fans. I'm not sure about the modern family audience. As you say, it's not likely to be made for a number of reasons.

I think the 50th could realistically use a premise like that, but it would be more in the form of flashbacks rather than whole episodes. There could still be parts of the story involving the TARDIS taking the memory-challenged Doctor into his past, but he'd need to be part of the story (in the past), not just a passive observer. So, part of it could be something like DS9's "Trials and Tribble-ations", where he has to do something to protect his own time-line without inter-acting with his former self.

I would like to see the Doctor steal the TARDIS. Some threat emerges (probably the Master - who else would know of such a key event in the Doctor's past?) which means the present Doctor has to travel back to ensure that event still takes place as it should...

Or maybe an Ice Warrior story... :D
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Wow! You have clearly spent a lot of time on these ideas and it shows a great love of the show. A lot of good stuff for dyed in the wool fans. I'm not sure about the modern family audience. As you say, it's not likely to be made for a number of reasons.

All just a result of being bored at work. :D

Should the 50th Anniversarry really appeal to casual viewers? I think all normal episodes should, in fact, when it doesent e.g. as in the 80's, you know somethings wrong, but the anniversarrys all about the fans surely, and looking back at Dr Who's history...
    Forum Member
    All just a result of being bored at work. :D

Should the 50th Anniversarry really appeal to casual viewers? I think all normal episodes should, in fact, when it doesent e.g. as in the 80's, you know somethings wrong, but the anniversarrys all about the fans surely, and looking back at Dr Who's history...

In my opinion...

I would not use such a pejorative term as "casual viewers" because TV shows like Doctor Who depend on mass audience appeal for them to continue to be made.

Someone once said something like "You know when something is "good art" when you can return to it and see more in it each time". Good TV is like that. The mass audience takes in, if you like, the top layer - a good plot, characters and action and watch it only once. The fans take more from it. The deeper meaning. The references to the show's history. The subtleties that aren't always apparent on first viewing. The things you take from a TV show or a movie on repeated viewing. These things feed into what the mass audience sees, without them being directly aware of them. They just like a good story.

Personally, I like to suck the marrow out of every story I like and wring every drop of meaning from it I can. :) I like it when I "get" an in joke that most would not notice. I like it when, on a second viewing, I see a foreshadowing or a hint of what is to come that you'd never on notice first viewing. It signals quality, planned writing to me. I like it when there's a prop, there in the background, from the show's history or even just a reference to a past event. Those things signal to me that those who make the show care about it and it's worth my time watching it. It's not just another "product" to them to be churned out formulaically, like so much TV.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I'd like ...

January-March 2013: Series 7 (Part 2) & Comic Relief Scene
    July 2013: Special 1 by Toby Whithouse (60 minutes)
    September 2013: Special 2 by Chris Chibnall (60 Minutes)
    November 2013: 50th Anniversary Special by Steven Moffat (90 minutes), Mini-Scene from CIN, the docudrama from Gatiss as well.
    December 2013: Christmas Special (60 minutes)

Maybe for the Series 7 finale and four specials/two mini-scenes they starred the Doctor, Clara and River.

50th Anniversary we have ...

- Voiceover from 4th, 5th and 6th Doctors. Visual representations of them and 1st/2nd/3rd Doctors as well.
    - Brief appearances from Susan, Jamie, Jo, Benton, Leela, K9, Tegan, Peri and Grace.
    - Mentions of Ian, Barbara, Brigadier, Sarah Jane, Romana, Donna, Lucie, Amy/Rory etc.
    - 7th Doctor/Ace
    - 8th Doctor/Molly
    - 9th Doctor/Rose/Jack
    - 10th Doctor/Martha
    - 11th Doctor/Clara/River
    - Main Villains: Daleks, Cybermen, the Master, Davros, Madame Kovarian & Silence.
    - Brief appearances from Ice Warriors, Sontarans, Cybermats, Silurians, Weeping Angels, Ood Sigma, Slitheen, Judoon.
    - Locations: Earth, Skaro, Gallifrey.
  • Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Tennant, Baker, Davidson and Mccoy to return.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would like something like the deep space nine episode trials and tribbleations where the current doctor goes back and takes part in an old episode or episodes.no idea which one though.
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help but wonder if, given the amount of time, effort and advancement in digital restoration and image manipulation over the last five years, the BBC has been colourising and sharpening some of the black and white episodes.
    This opens up the possibility that the 50th could see the Doctor falling into a coma or some other condition where the new companions have to venture into the Doctor's memory to try and bring him round, using aforementioned footage.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    i would like something like the deep space nine episode trials and tribbleations where the current doctor goes back and takes part in an old episode or episodes.no idea which one though.

I'd quite like something of that sort. Not necessarily the whole thing if that's too difficult, but dipping in and out of past adventures. One from each Doctor. Might just be a few moments visit to each.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    I'd quite like something of that sort. Not necessarily the whole thing if that's too difficult, but dipping in and out of past adventures. One from each Doctor. Might just be a few moments visit to each.

Ah! Like the Doctor retreats into his own memories and a companion has to go into them to find him and bring him out? Could be expensive! But worth it.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    I can't help but wonder if, given the amount of time, effort and advancement in digital restoration and image manipulation over the last five years, the BBC has been colourising and sharpening some of the black and white episodes.
    This opens up the possibility that the 50th could see the Doctor falling into a coma or some other condition where the new companions have to venture into the Doctor's memory to try and bring him round, using aforementioned footage.

No they havent. They have been colourising b and w episodes which were originally colour episodes that the bbc junked the original colour versions. They havent been colourising originally broadcast b and w episodes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    No they havent. They have been colourising b and w episodes which were originally colour episodes

Yes, I know about those... read my post properly, please.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    Yes, I know about those... read my post properly, please.

Yes i have and it seems pretty pointless idea using that footage when other better quality already in colour footage of the pertwee era (all footage recoloured has come from that era) already exists.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a 50th anniversary special, they should have all of the Doctors represented - a problem when the first two were all in B&W.

It is very possible to colourise old TV serials, and this has in fact been done very well indeed, albeit by fans. I think a modern audience wouldn't accept the BBC reusing B&W footage in a story where the Doctor's memories are revisited, but I can see a story where a couple of companions are, say, crouched on the roof of the factory in The Invasion watching the Doctor comedy hop his way along underneath them, commenting to each other that this was a particularly embarrassing way for the Doctor to behave, so he's unlikely to be hiding in this particular memory.
    Forum Member
    "Clip" shows have been done before in other series and are generally terrible. For example in TNG's second season Shades of Gray, Riker was bitten, poisoned, comatose and had to relive memories to recover. It was forced on the makers because of that year's writer's strike. And universally panned. It would be hard to think of a worse idea, for me.

Much better for me would be something more akin to DS9's Trials and Tribble-ations, as has already been suggested. The Doctor must re-visit his past and do something to preserve his timeline.

That idea, I like. :)

Comedy idea: Why not have the various Doctor's suddenly taking on characteristics of each other's incarnation:

Having 10 say, "Plimsoles are cool. I wear plimsoles now.."
    Or 11 pick up a flute and decide it's the wrong instrument, or his hair turn white...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    Much better for me would be something more akin to DS9's Trials and Tribble-ations, as has already been suggested. The Doctor must re-visit his past and do something to preserve his timeline.

You would still need colourised footage of the 1st and 2nd Doctors to achieve this, though. We WANT TO / MUST see all the Doctors in the special, right?!
    I was suggesting a sort of combination of the two styles, clip and T&T/BTTF2. Might be a bit of a job revisiting locations used in old filming, but virtual sets have come a long way in recent years. Used sparingly, of course!
    Forum Member
    Possibly. My personal "thing" would be to go back to where it all started. The Doctor stealing the TARDIS and the events leading up to that. Another actor could play a younger version of William Hartnell's Doctor and the interior of the original TARDIS could be re-constructed for shooting. I don't mean a "Timelord Academy" thing with teenage Doctor and Master (unless it's a brief flash further back in the main story line) but a mature first Doctor and an infant Susan. Wife? Other children? Possibly. There could be brief clips from the other Doctors as he tries to locate the trouble (He might not know which point in his timeline was being adjusted). He could enlist the help of surviving Doctors. Just musing here really.

11 finds something is going wrong with his timeline and has to revisit those events to preserve it.

Just my 10 cents. :)
  • IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Moffat to be removed as producer and denied any further influence on Who.
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they do a multi Doctor story it will be like the S4 final focussing on the characters than the actual story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    If they do a multi Doctor story it will be like the S4 final focussing on the characters than the actual story.

Scaremongerer! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Iggyman wrote: »
    Moffat to be removed as producer and denied any further influence on Who.

haha! I love you.