LG TV Firmware update. Not downloading!

TV: 47LM660T
Network: Good - Tried both wi-fi and lan connection.

Trying to download the latest firmware up Ver 04.20.23 that it wants me to update.

Every time it just sits there at 0% downloaded no matter how long I leave it. Just once it did move and made it to 2% before stopping. Even turned itself off and back on at one stage.

Is there a way to download it to a stick and shove it up its USB port as its internal downloader seems to be pants!

Anyone else having fun and games getting an update?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Try emailing LG and they prob have an installer app which you can put onto a formatted USB
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go here

http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-47LM660T

and if you follow the link you'll find a download in zip format (all 350MB of it!) and instructions on what to do with it.

Though I notice it's 4.10.23 not 4.20.23? Was your post a typo/misreading of the telly or is the version on the website wrong I wonder?
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Go here

http://www.lg.com/uk/support-product/lg-47LM660T

and if you follow the link you'll find a download in zip format (all 350MB of it!) and instructions on what to do with it.

Though I notice it's 4.10.23 not 4.20.23? Was your post a typo/misreading of the telly or is the version on the website wrong I wonder?

Yes I spotted that and have downloaded it BUT as you have pointed out, that is 4.10.23 which I already have on my TV! Yet it prompts me that there is an update ready ver 4.20.23 but won't download it! It now asks me to update every time I try and launch BBC iPlayer.

That is the puzzle! It's nothing life or death, but annoying that it keeps prompting to install an update that it won't download!

I'll try again tomorrow: Maybe they are flagged it as a download before putting on their servers ???
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,328
    Forum Member

Jesus! - how can an update be 350MB?.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus! - how can an update be 350MB?.
    It does say 350,507K as the file size! Unless they put a , instead of a . in the middle. Which would then make the update smaller than the instructions on how to install it. :D

And it's a zip file as well so the actual update is likely to be even bigger :eek:

I know it's one of them new fangled Smart telly thingies that are all the rage these days but you do wonder why it's firmware is that big.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I have the same problem, TV has gone into limited network mode and says I need an update, yet it won't up date and V 4.20 is not on the support site
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I just tried it again and after leaving it for ten minutes the TV went off and then back on again by itself, after downloading nothing. And as it's connected to my computer, that then starts getting upset.

Nice to know that it's them and not us though! Just a waiting game to see if they can get their act together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does say 350,507K as the file size! Unless they put a , instead of a . in the middle. Which would then make the update smaller than the instructions on how to install it. :D

And it's a zip file as well so the actual update is likely to be even bigger :eek:

I know it's one of them new fangled Smart telly thingies that are all the rage these days but you do wonder why it's firmware is that big.

To confirm:

Update 04.10.43 -

Zip file 342MB
    Unzipped file 344MB

So big and old!
    Forum Member
    To confirm:

Update 04.10.43 -

Zip file 342MB
    Unzipped file 344MB

So big and old!

What does the ZIP file contain? - I'm wondering if it contains multiple files for multiple TV's, and your specific TV picks the one it needs.

Sony updates often work in that way now, you can stick multiple updates on the same USB drive, and the TV picks the one it needs. Sony updates are commonly about 35MB, so you could fit ten or so in a zip file that big.

I wouldn't expect a TV to have enough memory to store a 350MB update?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does the ZIP file contain? - I'm wondering if it contains multiple files for multiple TV's, and your specific TV picks the one it needs.

Sony updates often work in that way now, you can stick multiple updates on the same USB drive, and the TV picks the one it needs. Sony updates are commonly about 35MB, so you could fit ten or so in a zip file that big.

I wouldn't expect a TV to have enough memory to store a 350MB update?.

It's just one file called:

GP4_DVB_EU_BB_MP_mtk5369_A1_RevNo74860_V04.10.43_usb_V2_SECURED_V04.10.43_B23A1D8C_20121123.epk

But as you say, the TV may just pick sections from within that file that it needs. ???

But anyway, what we need is the version that our TVs are asking for and not the one we already have!
  • ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My LG updated yesterday morning without a glitch. Its mostly changes to the apps line up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunW wrote: »
    My LG updated yesterday morning without a glitch. Its mostly changes to the apps line up.

That's interesting! What model LG do you have?

With mine 47LM660T and my brother's 47LM 640T we can't use BBC Iplayer without it telling us we need to update to a version that it won't download and that isn't on the support site!
  • ShaunWShaunW Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting! What model LG do you have?

With mine 47LM660T and my brother's 47LM 640T we can't use BBC Iplayer without it telling us we need to update to a version that it won't download and that isn't on the support site!
    LM620T, not as posh as yours.

:)

Edit : It was the same Iplayer message that prompted me to update.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunW wrote: »
    LM620T, not as posh as yours.

:)

Edit : It was the same Iplayer message that prompted me to update.

Believe me, there ain't a lot of difference! Mine has a thin aluminium surround whilst my brother's has a black plastic surround. Picture wise you can't tell the difference. There may be some, but what they are I haven't found yet!

And yours seems to have one improvement in that it updates! :D
    Forum Member
    Mine has a thin aluminium surround whilst my brother's has a black plastic surround.

They could well be exactly the same sets - minor cosmetic changes are commonly given different model numbers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooo! It started downloading!

Got to 5% stopped and restarted the TV
    Got to 22% stopped and reastarted the TV

It's not my connection as I download 100GBs of stuff!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could well be exactly the same sets - minor cosmetic changes are commonly given different model numbers.

Very possible! they are the same in every way functions, socket layout, everything apart from the screen surround and the fact that mine cost £150 more! Bloody expensive strip of aluminium!