Confusion between C and D drive

My laptop keeps telling me I am running out of disk space. On clicking “computer”, I see that there is a C: sector called Vista, which is nearly full, and a D: sector called Data, which is virtually empty. Unknown to me, all my data has been going into a Users folder in the C: (Vista) drive rather than the D: (Data) drive.

How can I rectify this? Can I simply cut and paste the Users folder from C: to D:? Will the links on the desktop know where to find my files once they’ve moved? How can I tell the computer to save future files to D: rather than C:?

Comments appreciated. Sorry to have to ask such a basic question!

Comments

• TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a correct way which is complicated and an easy way which might make your system unstable.

I will show you a third way (and fourth way).

Option 1:
    On the your D drive, create the necessary folders you want, e.g. document, photos, music etc.

Go into your current user libraries for documents, photos etc - move the contents of these folders (i.e. files and sub-folders) to the new folders in the D drive. Do not move the top-level folders from your libraries in the C drive, keep those where they are.

Now for each library, add the new D drive folders as locations in your libraries. Then go to the properties for each library and choose the new D drive folders as the default save locations for your libraries.

Option 2: If both your "drives" are really just different partitions on the same disk AND if in disk manager, D drive is to the right of C drive, you may be able to just delete the D partition and then extend the C partition into the newly created free space on the hard drive.
  • Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there's no real data in the D drive the simplest thing to do is delete it and expand the C drive into the empty space.

Press the "Start" menu button and in the box at the bottom type "disk management". An option saying something like "Create and format partitions" should appear. Click it.

A disk management program should appear showing the various partitions on your system. Right-click and delete the D drive. After it's gone right-click the C drive and choose the expand option. Follow a couple of steps and your C drive should expand into the spare space.

If there's data on the D drive you want, copy it to the C drive or back it up elsewhere before you begin.

I've never understood why manufacturers partition the drives this way when Windows isn't setup by default to make use of it.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I'm sure they will be one physical drive. laptop manufacturers have a habit of doing this. no idea why.

so the easiest thing to do would be to delete the D partition and extend C in to the space, if it will let you.

I'm going to write a quick guide. but i accept no responsibility. in control panel open administrative tools - computer management - disk management

click on C Drive at the top

it will only work if the D drive is to the right of the C drive. on the like bar graph. right click D in the bar and select 'delete volume' (obviously this will delete all the data you have on D) the right click the C drive in the bar and select 'extend volume.'
  • dohboydohboy Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    No offense intended to the OP (honest!) but if you are calling your C and D drives "sectors", and are unaware of the Users folder, you shouldn't be attempting anything as advanced as deleting & extending partitions, as you could get into serious trouble if you take a wrong step and you then could lose everything.

Do you have a backup of your data? I doubt you do, as you were unaware of where your data was being stored before. If I was you I would backup my data to a USB key or external drive before attempting anything.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    I'm wondering if D: is a recovery partition so that the Windows installation can be restored if necessary.

OK, the original post says it is "virtually empty", but I'm just concerned at some recommendations saying "delete the partition" without fully knowing what it contains.
    Forum Member
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if D: is a recovery partition so that the Windows installation can be restored if necessary.

OK, the original post says it is "virtually empty", but I'm just concerned at some recommendations saying "delete the partition" without fully knowing what it contains.

For some reason it is very common for laptops to come with the drive partitioned in half. recovery partitions tend to be hidden. but you are right. it is worth checking.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In older days, before Windows 8 refresh and reset, having your data on a different partition to your OS was often recommended on this forum. It meant you could blow away and reinstall your OS whilst leaving your data untouched.
  • Freeview NoviceFreeview Novice Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Thanks for comments, all – v. helpful. (Incidentally the Data drive is called E:, not D: as I mistakenly said in OP – this presumably makes no difference to the advice you offered. There is no D: drive.) Here’s my response to the points raised.

Is the E: drive to the right of C: in “Computer”? Yes.

Are my files backed up in case of disaster? Yes – everything’s on a desktop, and disks.

Is there anything on the E: drive? Only this:

A Users folder containing a file Y9Y9 - size 0 bytes
    A file H08011EN.tag – size 11 bytes (4 kb on disk)
    A readme file, which I can copy and preserve

Unless there’s something crucial about these, looks like I can try deleting the E: and expanding the C: as suggested above. Any comments before I commit?
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure that Disk Management doesn't show a recovery partition with no drive letter? There should be a small system partition too.

I agree with comments above that deleting this partition is a bit too risky without knowing more.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for comments, all – v. helpful. (Incidentally the Data drive is called E:, not D: as I mistakenly said in OP – this presumably makes no difference to the advice you offered. There is no D: drive.) Here’s my response to the points raised.

Is the E: drive to the right of C: in “Computer”? Yes.

Are my files backed up in case of disaster? Yes – everything’s on a desktop, and disks.

Is there anything on the E: drive? Only this:

A Users folder containing a file Y9Y9 - size 0 bytes
    A file H08011EN.tag – size 11 bytes (4 kb on disk)
    A readme file, which I can copy and preserve

Unless there’s something crucial about these, looks like I can try deleting the E: and expanding the C: as suggested above. Any comments before I commit?

the label makes no difference.

when i/we said to the right. i don't mean in 'computer'

but here:
    control panel open administrative tools - computer management - disk management

it will only work if the D drive is to the right of the C drive.
    in this window:
    http://i50.tinypic.com/23u38g2.png
    (obviously not on the left like mine is)

also before we start. how big is E?
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP,

In most cases videos will be by far the biggest files, then music, then photographs.

If you've got a few large video files on C:, you could try moving them to E:.

That might be all you need to do.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is another option to deleting and extending partitions, which is fraught with danger for an inexperienced user. You could simply tell Windows to move the My Documents etc folders to the E: drive.

See

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders-change-default-location.html

That will move them over to the E: drive freeing up space on C:. It should also mean that programs will start storing documents on E: once done.
    Forum Member
    Flagpole said:

"when i/we said to the right. i don't mean in 'computer'

but here:

Quote:

control panel open administrative tools - computer management - disk management

it will only work if the D drive is to the right of the C drive.
    in this window:
    http://i50.tinypic.com/23u38g2.png
    (obviously not on the left like mine is)

also before we start. how big is E? "

Sorry Flagpole - should have read more carefully! I've got the computer management screen up, and E: is to the right of C: (unlike yours, as you say).

The C: (Vista) drive has 55.81 GB (nearly full), and the E: (Data) drive 54.51 GB.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    There is another option to deleting and extending partitions, which is fraught with danger for an inexperienced user. You could simply tell Windows to move the My Documents etc folders to the E: drive.

See

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/18629-user-folders-change-default-location.html

That will move them over to the E: drive freeing up space on C:. It should also mean that programs will start storing documents on E: once done.

Option 2 from the link above it the way to do it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »

See

Just to add. Altough that link is for Windows 7/8 the procedure for Vista is pretty much the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My laptop keeps telling me I am running out of disk space. On clicking “computer”, I see that there is a C: sector called Vista, which is nearly full, and a D: sector called Data, which is virtually empty. Unknown to me, all my data has been going into a Users folder in the C: (Vista) drive rather than the D: (Data) drive.

How can I rectify this? Can I simply cut and paste the Users folder from C: to D:? Will the links on the desktop know where to find my files once they’ve moved? How can I tell the computer to save future files to D: rather than C:?

Comments appreciated. Sorry to have to ask such a basic question!

Consider adding an external USB drive, but best to bite the bullet & seek professional advise, may be cheaper in the long run
  • kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    There's a correct way which is complicated and an easy way which might make your system unstable.

Isn't there a correct, easy way?

- Right-click the library subfolder / Properties / Location
    - change the location from C:/xxx to D:/xxx
    - OK

That's it. Windows moves everything for you and updates the registry pointers too.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP mentions that the C: drive is called Vista, so presumably that's the OS on the computer in question. I thought libraries weren't introduced until Windows 7?
    Forum Member
    Thanks to all who commented. Just a quick report back. I have successfully deleted the E: drive as suggested by Flagpole, and expanded the C: drive into the vacant space. No problems so far! I have now got plenty of GB to play with, and am copying over the files from my desktop PC which previously wouldn't fit.

I appreciate your time and trouble.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may also be worth using folder redirection to have all your data on the D:\ drive. In that scenario, even if Windows corrupts, your data such as Documents and Pictures will remain and you can wipe the C:\ drive and reinstall Windows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    It may also be worth using folder redirection to have all your data on the D:\ drive. In that scenario, even if Windows corrupts, your data such as Documents and Pictures will remain and you can wipe the C:\ drive and reinstall Windows.
    I think the D: Drive is the optical drive. Reading through the thread the OP originally said the data drive was D: then looked again and discovered it was E:. I suspect the laptop had assigned C: to the Windows partition on the hard drive, D: to the optical drive and E: to the data partition on the hard drive.

The C: and E: partitions have since been merged so there is no data partition anymore. I did suggest the OP do this for pretty much the reasons you gave, keeping data and OS separate. But it seems merging the two partitions was the favoured option.