Real world experience - Coalition v Labour

Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
Forum Member
From http://dizzythinks.net/

Quite a startling difference, esp between Tories and Labour

Government...

* David Cameron - Director of Corporate Affairs at Carlton Communications (7 years)
* Nick Clegg - Foreign Correspondent
* William Hague - Management consultant McKinsey & Company
* George Osborne - CCHQ Wonk
* Ken Clarke - Barrister QC
* Theresa May - Bank of England, financial consultant
* Liam Fox - GP, Civilian Army Medical Officer and Divisional Surgeon with St John Ambulance
* Vince Cable - Economics lecturer, Chief Economist, Royal Dutch Shell
* Iain Duncan-Smith - British Army Officer, Scots Guard
* Chris Huhne - Economic journalist, City entrepreneur, MD of Fitch IBCA
* Andrew Lansley - Civil Servant
* Michael Gove - Journalist
* Eric Pickles - Unknown
* Philip Hammond - Director of Speywood Medical Limited, Castlemead Ltd, Castelmead Home. Consulltant World Bank.
* Caroline Spelman - National Union Farmers, lobbyist
* Andrew Mitchell - UN Peacekeeper, British Army Royal Tank Regiment, Investment Bank Lazard, Manager and Financial Controller at Touche Ross & Co, Audit Manager at Storehouse PLC, Finance Director at W H Everett & Son Ltd, Senior Strategy Advisor for Accenture
* Jeremy Hunt - English language teacher in Japan, IT PR company, Profile PR
* Owen Paterson - Sales Director and Managing Director of British Leather Company, Director of Parsons and Sons (leather company)
* Michael Moore - Accountant
* Cheryl Gillan - Marketing consultant, Ernst & Young, marketing director with Kidsons Impey
* Baroness Warsi - Lawyer
* Lord Strathclyde - Hereditary Peer
* George Young - Economic adviser to Post Office Corporation
* Francis Maude - Criminal lawyer
* Dominic Grieve QC - Barrister
* Patrick McLoughlin - farmer, coal miner

Labour...

* Ed Miliband - Wonk/SpAd
* Harriet Harman - Political campaign lawyer
* Ed Balls - Leader writer (4 years), SpAd
* Douglas Alexander - Solicitor(six months)
* Yvette Cooper - Journalist (2 years)
* Sadiq Khan - Political campaign lawyer
* Jim Murphy - Student politics
* John Denham - Student politics, political advocacy.
* Liam Byrne - Merchant Bank (Rothchilds), Accenture consultant
* John Healey - Trade Unions
* Andy Burnham - SpAd
* Caroline Flint - Local Government
* Maria Eagle - Solicitor
* Meg Hillier - Journalist (not for long)
* Mary Creagh - Charity work
* Shaun Woodward - BBC researcher
* Ann McKechin - Solicitor (7 years)
* Peter Hain - Trade Union researcher
* Ivan Lewis - Voluntary sector campaigner
* Tessa Jowell - Social worker and administrator for a charity.
* Angela Eagle - Trade Union
* Baroness Royall of Blaisdon - SpAd
* Rosie Winterton - SpAd, lobbyist
* Hilary Benn - Trade Union
* Lord Bassam of Brighton - Social worker, professional squatter
* Baroness Scotland of Asthal QC - Political campaign lawyer
* Tony Lloyd - Lecturer (2 years), MP for 28 years

Comments

• AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see more self-made people in government, and people that have more worldly work experience - most of us won't ever get the chance to be a Director of anything, or a financial consultant.

Sometimes it would be nice to hear a voice that is more empathic to the working class/lower middle class.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Anyone surprised? What do labour politicians know about running a business for instance?
  • deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone surprised? What do labour politicians know about running a business for instance?

They don't need to, as all the money they need for their policies comes out of the magical money well. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    They don't need to, as all the money they need for their policies comes out of the magical money well. :D

:D

“A government with the policy to rob Peter to pay Paul
    can be assured of the support of Paul.”

George Bernard Shaw.

God Bless the money tree. :)
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is indeed a startling lack of depth within Milibands cabinet - when compared with Labour leaderships from the past you have to wonder where it all went wrong.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    I'd like to see more self-made people in government, and people that have more worldly work experience - most of us won't ever get the chance to be a Director of anything, or a financial consultant.

Sometimes it would be nice to hear a voice that is more empathic to the working class/lower middle class.

Why not:

I left school at age 15 and have no formal qualifications.

I have done on-the-job training only (that started only in 1989, in my 30's) in which I have obtained professional qualification in my primary income.

I am now a director of 3 companies plus being a self-employed fee-based financial adviser providing my primary income.

You just have to work damned hard and be willing to take a few personal risks. If you are willing to do that then you should not feel in any way constrained, dont be resigned to low pay, go for it.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Not a single scientist or engineer among the lot of them. Very sad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Indeed - and only 2 with Military experience. :(
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you kick off an argument that the PM's "real world" experience was talking pish for the worst independent TV station in the history of UK TV (it's main claim to fame being The Good Sex Guide) you really are clutching.

Dave and Gideon wouldn't know what the "real world" was if it landed on their priviliged heads.
  • SmurfleSmurfle Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    When you kick off an argument that the PM's "real world" experience was talking pish for the worst independent TV station in the history of UK TV (it's main claim to fame being The Good Sex Guide) you really are clutching.

Dave and Gideon wouldn't know what the "real world" was if it landed on their priviliged heads.

As opposed to Tony Blair, Harriet Harman, Gordon Brown et al. Please. Anyone looking at those lists would acknowledge that the former has more substance than the latter.
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smurfle wrote: »
    As opposed to Tony Blair, Harriet Harman, Gordon Brown et al. Please. Anyone looking at those lists would acknowledge that the former has more substance than the latter.

Excuse me, does it? Blair was a lawyer, a qualified professional. Brown has a PhD.

Of far more value in politics and lawmaking than telling people a programme is on telly that will teach them how to keep a hard on longer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since when did PR = substance? :eek:
  • PhoebidasPhoebidas Posts: 3,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brown has a PhD.

Of far more value in politics and lawmaking than telling people a programme is on telly that will teach them how to keep a hard on longer.

Not necessarily.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excuse me, does it? Blair was a lawyer, a qualified professional. Brown has a PhD.

Brown's PhD was in History, and wasn't his thesis to do with the history of the Labour Party?

Not exactly what you want in your finance minister (and yes, the current one is no better) - and it showed in the damage he caused.

I'd rather have an economist, or at least someone financially minded (such as John Major, whose previous life before becoming a PM included obtaining an accountancy qualification and working for a bank).

I'd like to see a lot more professionals, scientists and engineers in the ranks. This is an area where the coalition is a bit better than the Labour frontbench.

All parties should try to get people whose total life experience is something more than "PPE at Oxbridge, swim in parliamentary circles for a while, become an MP".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trickyvik wrote: »
    Since when did PR = substance? :eek:

Selective? I said look at the list - not just David Cameron.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Selective? I said look at the list - not just David Cameron.

You list CCHQ Wonk for George Osbourne (although to be honest I'm not sure what that is, feeling rather naive today in more ways than one) and the same for Ed Miliband with the addition of SpAds (again not entirely sure what that is, could probably find out if I googled but I don't really have the inclination :o).

Are those two people on a par would you say - or does Ed have the edge?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brown has a PhD.

Oh please - a PHD in Labour Party history

I've heard it all now.. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trickyvik wrote: »
    You list CCHQ Wonk for George Osbourne (although to be honest I'm not sure what that is, feeling rather naive today in more ways than one) and the same for Ed Miliband with the addition of SpAds (again not entirely sure what that is, could probably find out if I googled but I don't really have the inclination :o).

Are those two people on a par would you say - or does Ed have the edge?

Okay, firstly its not my list...

Secondly, look at the list in its entirety and tell me that the former group of people does not have more substance than the latter.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Oh please - a PHD in Labour Party history

I've heard it all now.. :D

"The Labour Party and Political Change in Scotland 1918-29", apparently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, firstly its not my list...

Secondly, look at the list in its entirety and tell me that the former group of people does not have more substance than the latter.

Ok, the former group does not have more substance than the latter. It's littered with sales, marketing and journalism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, with that last reply, I'm out of here.

Its Friday night and life is just too short :)

Have a good weekend all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, with that last reply, I'm out of here.

Its Friday night and life is just too short :)

Have a good weekend all.

Sorry if my opinion offended you. :o

Enjoy your weekend too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    "The Labour Party and Political Change in Scotland 1918-29", apparently.

OMG - its worse than I thought. :eek:

it's not even a complete history of the Labour Party
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

Yes, not many people in that list with useful skills or practical backgrounds. One farmer/miner, a medic, a couple of business people and a few ex soldiers. All the rest are a paper shufflers and hot air producers.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Yes, not many people in that list with useful skills or practical backgrounds. One farmer/miner, a medic, a couple of business people and a few ex soldiers. All the rest are a paper shufflers and hot air producers.

Pity we've lost the postman then