New Comedy on BBC4 - The Walshes.

Trouble MakerTrouble Maker Posts: 766
Forum Member
✭✭
It started on RTE last week and is to be shown on BBC4 this Thursday evening at 10pm. It is written by one of the lads that wrote Fr. Ted. If I was you, I'd give it a miss. Compared to the standard of comedy and actors that have come out of Ireland (Mrs Browne, Fr Ted etc.) this is a load of rubbish.

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read the BBC's own write-up of this and I'll definitely be giving it a miss.

The only thing that interests me is why this is scheduled for BBC4?

They know it's a dead duck and are just using it as a schedule filler?
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else watching?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read the BBC's own write-up of this and I'll definitely be giving it a miss.

The only thing that interests me is why this is scheduled for BBC4?

They know it's a dead duck and are just using it as a schedule filler?

Must admit, it does seem a peculiar choice for BBC4 :confused:
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no father ted is it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Irish Granddad's best mate was called The Goose, so that's kind of amusing to me...apart from that it's a pile of shite.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIt is written by one of the lads that wrote Fr. Ted.

Being a part of one lucky idea that was made to work by some talented comic actors is no recommendation at all for a writer.
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointing. It was like a slightly less manic and less rude Mrs Brown's Boys - with even fewer laughs.

I only laughed the once - when the TV repair man was still in the house near the end of the episode.
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am quite surprised at the reaction on here. I enjoyed it and was laughing most of the way through but then am half Irish. Maybe you have to be at least half Irish to really appreciate it - e.g. elements of the mother's character remind me of one of my neurotic (but with a heart of gold) Irish aunts; and the father constantly having the 'craic'/winding people up reminds me of an Irish cousin. I thought it was like a cross between Father Ted and The Royle Family. Have never watched Mrs Brown's Boys but it just looks silly from what I've seen. The critics seem to have approved of The Walshes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/the-walshes-tv-review-the-jokes-hit-home-in-new-irish-family-sitcom-9190935.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/10693046/The-Walshes-BBC-Four-review.html

I had thought it would be quirky and clever as it was on BBC4 rather than say BBC1.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    Being a part of one lucky idea that was made to work by some talented comic actors is no recommendation at all for a writer.

The cast of Ted was a real one-off but it still would have been nothing without the script!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I'm Irish born and bred and I thought it was the biggest pile of horse excrement. Bigger that any of the piles you'd actually see leaving the rear end of an actual horse. In equine terms, The Walshes is almost Troy-esque in its horse-shitedness and I cannot believe that it was written by the same man who brought us Father Ted and The IT Crowd.

When I watched it, I thought "Jesus, awful, thank God it's only on RTE". But then I discovered it was also airing on BBC and I thought "Well there you go, there goes hundreds of years of hard work proving we are an intelligent, talented, force-to-be-reckoned-with race of people" Please, Great Britain, take the other 26 counties back, will ya? We cannot do ANYTHING right! Save us from ourselves!

Okay, maybe that last bit was a tad extreme, but I actually went scarlet watching The Walshes, thinking of the absolute holy show we have made of ourselves. It made Fair City look like a BAFTA-worthy programme.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    I just caught up on iPlayer and enjoyed it. Im not comparing it to anything else (although its a masterpiece if compared to Mrs Browns Boys).

My only reservation is that the 'meet the family' set up has been done so many times, it will be interesting to see where it goes from here. Ill give ep 2 a go.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to turn this off after about fifteen minutes. So bad.

If you want a funny Irish comedy, check out Sky One's hilarious Moone Boy.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not watched this yet but will do over the weekend.

I disagree about Moone Boy, this season seems to have gone really off the boil for us, just a bit too daft. I speak as someone who enjoyed the first series.
  • Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More like "off the BOYLE"

Hahahahahahahaha.

I'm so sorry. I'll just leave quietly.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More like "off the BOYLE"

Hahahahahahahaha.

I'm so sorry. I'll just leave quietly.

:D
    That's actually funnier than any of the jokes I heard in the first two episodes!!:)
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I er ... I actually ... enjoyed it (okay , don't throw things ) I did .

it was kinda surreal , but also very believable , it felt like it shoulda been set in the 70's or 80s tho ( how can there be a video shop in the 2000s ? ) .

I thought the lad playing the prospective bf was great , plus I didn't know any of them .

I would admit that the set-up has been done a million times , but still - there was some great stuff in it .
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Managed about 10mins. What a load of rubbish!!
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it, some pleasingly awkward moments and I liked the way the neighbour never quite manages to leave the house!
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was crap. Just admit it !
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well I really don't know why this is so unpopular , I'm enjoying it , it's got the mad characters I'd expect from Linehan , but its also rather sweet at the end , they're a likeable bunch .

the bit last night where he's in contact with his mate by phone who's on an old computer looking up answers was just great .

and that lad playing Graham is terrific .
  • Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    I like it.

I've seen a lot worse in recent years.

The parents are great characters.

More please.
  • Trouble MakerTrouble Maker Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am quite surprised at the reaction on here. I enjoyed it and was laughing most of the way through but then am half Irish. Maybe you have to be at least half Irish to really appreciate it - e.g. elements of the mother's character remind me of one of my neurotic (but with a heart of gold) Irish aunts; and the father constantly having the 'craic'/winding people up reminds me of an Irish cousin. I thought it was like a cross between Father Ted and The Royle Family. Have never watched Mrs Brown's Boys but it just looks silly from what I've seen. The critics seem to have approved of The Walshes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/the-walshes-tv-review-the-jokes-hit-home-in-new-irish-family-sitcom-9190935.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/tv-and-radio-reviews/10693046/The-Walshes-BBC-Four-review.html

I had thought it would be quirky and clever as it was on BBC4 rather than say BBC1.

I am 100% Irish, born and lived here all my life, and found it totally stupid, much the same as any comedy RTE attempts to do. The only think RTE have done that made me laugh in the last number of years is anything PJ Gallacher is in. Sometimes however I think is so stupid (the likes of some of the Fair City stories at times) that you have to laugh however.
  • Trouble MakerTrouble Maker Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Watched one programme (one about the world cup in 1990 and the game with Romania) and could not get it. Have not bothered to tune in since.
  • rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I er ... I actually ... enjoyed it (okay , don't throw things ) I did .

it was kinda surreal , but also very believable , it felt like it shoulda been set in the 70's or 80s tho ( how can there be a video shop in the 2000s ? ) .

I thought the lad playing the prospective bf was great , plus I didn't know any of them .

I would admit that the set-up has been done a million times , but still - there was some great stuff in it .

There isn't, its closed down :D
  • rkidrkid Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was good, unoffensive comedy although the son reminds me of Father Dougal from Father Ted (manerisms etc)

There's a lot worse on telly at the moment.

Only 3 eps though, have they done more?