Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in 1970 or so saw Noel outside BBC and he was nice got his autograph -no problem
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in 1970 or so saw Noel outside BBC and he was nice got his autograph -no problem

I think the success might have got to his head. However, of the nice celebs I've met, Kenny Everett was interesting. Normally he was shy of people, but when I said how much I admired his work, he was really pleased and even did his Cupid Stunt voice. Also met Jimmy Young, who was a real gentleman and immaculately dressed, and Mike Smith, who was a bit brusque, outside the BBC.
    In passing I saw George Galloway at a local hotel a few years ago.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very long time ago again must be in late 60s saw Joe Loss(from big bands ) by the BBC Regent street I think it was and I was with my mum when I saw him he was such nice man and was delighted that someone young liked his music
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Horrible Celebrities (starting with the worst!)

1. Charlotte Church - met her lots of times, awful, awful person. Very jealous of slim good looking women.

2. Billie Piper - Horrible as soon as she became famous - my friend went to school with her and she refuses to talk to her now.

3. David Walliams - refused to sign autograph and shouted at a friend who dared ask!

4. Gok Wan - ignorant.

5. Katherine Jenkins - thought she was nice until I met her.

6. Ronan Keating - was at a concert and he was lovely in front of the camera and as soon as the camera was off he was unbelievably rude and ignorant.

7. David Cassidy - so in love with himself - did more talking and boasting than singing.

Nice Celebrities

1. Dido - lovely person.

2. Brian McClair - used to play for Manchester United.

3. Gail from Coronation Street

4. Linda Robson - from Birds of a feather.

5. Anneka Rice - met her years ago-lovely.

6. Matt Willis - only one that was friendly from Busted.
  • MiHMiH Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I think you are probably right, away from the cameras he is probably not the cheeky chappy fun loving guy he is on camera, that could well be down to being shy or being a private person etc, while he was not directly rude the times I met him he just didn't come across as a gregarious people person

you said he was vile in your first post. Exaggerating, much?

I grew up in Hungerford, where Johnny Morris lived in his retirement. The guy was a nightmare. He drove down the high street in this massive black thing, right in the middle of the road forcing people to move out of the way. He marched in to do his shopping, not speaking to anybody or even making eye contact. He was reportedly incredibly rude to anyone who's existence he did deem worthy of acknowledging. He just seemed to want no contact with anybody at all. In a way it's quite sad. I dunno how this so-called 'celebrity' can do that to someone. He was also very elderly, I guess.

People in the town grew to see him as this almost mystical being though, this eccentric talking point. Kids were a bit scared of him, when he drove down the high street everybody stopped to look. When I was a kid I thought he must have been somebody massively important, an ex-prime minister or something. Um, not quite.

As a footnote his house on the town marsh is now owned by Terry Nutkins. Have never seen him, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4. Linda Robson - from Birds of a feather.

5. Anneka Rice - met her years ago-lovely.

That's nice to know. Both ladies were childhood TV staples. I've heard nothing but nice things about Linda Robson; she comes across as a normal, motherly woman whenever I see her on TV. Has no "air" of being famous at all

Re: Billie Piper. I met her just over five years ago after the first series of the Doctor Who comeback and she was really nice to me. Had to borrow my pen at one point when someone else's who she was signing for stopped working. But this was ages ago, so she could well have changed. She seems to be taking herself a lot more seriously since hooking up Laurence Fox.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,262
    Forum Member
    lucy_a wrote: »
    Pete Doherty was probably the nicest celeb I have met. I was in a line to go into a TV show recording and he just came out to see everyone, it went a bit mental but he posed for as many pictures as he could and agreed to let us take another one after I saw he wasn't looking at the camera in the first one. Michael Urie (Marc from Ugly Betty) was also lovely, he actually seemed quite shy. I embarrassed myself in front of Noel Fielding, the only thing I could think to say was "My Grandad's name was Noel...". I think he thought I was a mentalist, but he was nice too. He gave us all autographs and drew us all pictures of the Boosh sign, although he spelt my name wrong, but I can fogive that I suppose! Gok Wan refused to have a picture taken with me once but he said it was because there was too many people there, to be honest I think he just couldn't really be bothered!

This is not my story, but a friend of mine was in a cafe once with one of my other friends and one of our old teachers. They were talking about Harry Potter and my friend said how her brother thinks JK Rowling looks like a man. A minute or two later she noticed a woman sitting at a table literally two feet away from them - it was JK Rowling. Basically there was no way she couldn't have heard them. I know it's not a meeting situation, just thought it was a good story!

Pete and Noel?! You're so lucky! Pete's always treasured his fans though, right since the very beginning. And the Noel story just sounds funny :D
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Quentin Blake - Not nice.
    Michael Ball - nice.
    The guy who played Dirty Den - surprisingly nice!
    My sister bumped into Pete Burns in Vivienne Westwood's shop and said he wasn't nice.
    My sister also met Gok Wan at the Bullring, said he wasn't nice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member

2. Billie Piper - Horrible as soon as she became famous - my friend went to school with her and she refuses to talk to her now.

Aw! I found her to be utterly delightful. Might be more to the story.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    That's nice to know. Both ladies were childhood TV staples. I've heard nothing but nice things about Linda Robson; she comes across as a normal, motherly woman whenever I see her on TV. Has no "air" of being famous at all

I used to work in a disability advice centre, and every Christmas, we'd arrange a party for disabled children. One year, we invited Linda Robson to appear (she was doing panto at our local theatre)

She was so lovely with the children, and admitted that meeting them, made her realise how lucky she was to have healthy children of her own.

An absolute star - very normal, no airs and graces at all.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member

Maybe she just doesn't like your friend!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    I haven't met many, and embarressingly they're either from Waterloo Road or SCD professionals but they've all been lovely

Eva Pope
    Neil Morrissey
    Tom Chambers

Erin Boag
    James Jordan
    Vincent Simone

They were all really nice and happy sign autographs/have pictures ect.

I also touched Michael Buble at one of his concerts but that doesn't really count. My Mum's best friend met him though and she said he was lovely to the fans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum met him in the mid 80s at a charity thing at Buckingham Palace and reckoned he was alright. It was a very brief meeting, mind you, so I don't think he had time to put his foot in his mouth in that instance. :D

Reminds me of my Mum's encounter with the DoE that I'd all but forgot. In the mid-eighties my Mum worked in a large civic building in central Manchester. DoE was making an official visit. My mum worked in the facilities department (running of the building) so she was one of the people responsible for making sure that everything and everyone was in their place including security, therefore she was not in any contact with the Royal party. Anyhow towards the end of the visit she was passing through a courtyard towards the back of the building and was surprised by the DoE sweeping past her giving her a smile and a nod just before he climbed into the drivers seat of a waiting Range Rover and driving off. I think she found it quite funny.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MiH wrote: »
    you said he was vile in your first post. Exaggerating, much?

I grew up in Hungerford, where Johnny Morris lived in his retirement. The guy was a nightmare. He drove down the high street in this massive black thing, right in the middle of the road forcing people to move out of the way. He marched in to do his shopping, not speaking to anybody or even making eye contact. He was reportedly incredibly rude to anyone who's existence he did deem worthy of acknowledging. He just seemed to want no contact with anybody at all. In a way it's quite sad. I dunno how this so-called 'celebrity' can do that to someone. He was also very elderly, I guess.

People in the town grew to see him as this almost mystical being though, this eccentric talking point. Kids were a bit scared of him, when he drove down the high street everybody stopped to look. When I was a kid I thought he must have been somebody massively important, an ex-prime minister or something. Um, not quite.

As a footnote his house on the town marsh is now owned by Terry Nutkins. Have never seen him, though.

I saw Terry Nutkins at a summer fair recently. He wasn't there in an official capacity. I saw him walk in behind me and recognised his face but just couldn't put a name to it. I figured it must have been someone I caught the early morning bus with some years earlier. Anyway my friend came bounding out of the building all excited because she'd seen Terry Nutkins of that animal programme off the telly!
  • revans33revans33 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I briefly met Lee Evans a few years ago when he was on his tour, he was rushing but he shook my hand and said thanks for coming and all that. He was lovely :)
    Also met Lorraine Chase (Emmerdale) years ago when I was on a school trip and signed photo's for me and my friends and had a few taken with us.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately a number of people who know Billie Piper in her ordinary life agree that she is horrid. Maybe nice if cameras are around or she is in a rare good mood - otherwise a nasty piece of work.
  • BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Noel Edmonds is horrible in real life. He opened the Co Op in Workington in the seventies, looking totally bored, then when kids approached him for autographs, he told his heavies to " get these awful people away from me" and stormed off. Also a friend approached him for an autograph outside the BBC and he told him to sod off.

Im suprised at that, My Dad and his mate was in a restuarant a few years back and was at the bar and saw Noel and started to talking to him, they ended up having a meal together, he said he was really nice. Maybe when you met him he was having an off day?
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie Coltrane lives round my area, huge guy, just massive in real life and drives a tiny car that just accentuates his mass. Not only is he big in size, he's big in personality, he had the whole shop in stitches because he was telling jokes.

He hates kids, don't let his child friendly persona on Harry Potter fool you. He hates being asked for autographs and refuses point blank. During a school lunch break he hid in the back to avoid all the school scum.

A colleague once tried to trick him into an autograph when he was paying by card but that didn't work either.

He likes Absolut Vodka.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For some reason I'm just not surprised to hear this.

She has never come across as particularly nice to me, especially on Strictly. Something very false about the way the media present her to us.

Which is odd because I've heard a lot of comments on threads like this and similar ones on the SCD forum that she's quite nice. Maybe her success since SCD has gone to her head it would explain why she thinks she's can judge when she's utterly incapable of saying anything that a man/woman in the street couldn't.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happylea wrote: »
    I haven't met many, and embarressingly they're either from Waterloo Road or SCD professionals but they've all been lovely

Eva Pope
    Neil Morrissey
    Tom Chambers

Erin Boag
    James Jordan
    Vincent Simone

They were all really nice and happy sign autographs/have pictures ect.

I also touched Michael Buble at one of his concerts but that doesn't really count. My Mum's best friend met him though and she said he was lovely to the fans.

Lucky you - dare I ask where?:eek::D:D
  • fifilapewfifilapew Posts: 4,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to work in a v posh London boutique and met quite a few slebs.

Dustin Hoffman is an absolute darling, chats to everyone and always stops for anyone wanting a photo, lovely man!

Nigel havers and his wife are the most stuck up rude people I've ever had the misfortune to encounter.

Elle macphearson, Claudia schiffer, and Sophie dahl came in often and were more stunning than any photo could show and very sweet too.

Kate moss looked very ordinary but didn't really talk to her.

Sir Richard attenbrough was a regular, was delightful and used to give the colleague that always helped him a nice bottle of wine for Xmas.

Anne Robinson was....shhhhh.... A very sweet lady who seemed to go out of her way to be nice.
  • Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    purplecatz wrote: »
    I used to work in a disability advice centre, and every Christmas, we'd arrange a party for disabled children. One year, we invited Linda Robson to appear (she was doing panto at our local theatre)

She was so lovely with the children, and admitted that meeting them, made her realise how lucky she was to have healthy children of her own.

An absolute star - very normal, no airs and graces at all.

I met Linda Robson when I was on holiday in Cyprus, about 6 years ago.

I was in McDonald's and she came in with her family. Anyways, I waited until she came out for her autograph. She stopped and chatted to me and my mate for about 5 minutes, like we were old friends or something - asking if we were having a nice time etc. She saw I was holding my camera, and even asked if we wanted a photo.

She is indeed a lovely lady, down-to-earth, genuine and nice.
  • Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also met Tony Robinson recently in Sydney, and he is a nice guy.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum was seated behind Robbie Keane at a concert : said he was very friendly and even called her "princess".

She once met the late John Thaw as well.She says he was an absolute gentleman and very charming and talkative.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adam14 wrote: »
    I met Linda Robson when I was on holiday in Cyprus, about 6 years ago.

I was in McDonald's and she came in with her family. Anyways, I waited until she came out for her autograph. She stopped and chatted to me and my mate for about 5 minutes, like we were old friends or something - asking if we were having a nice time etc. She saw I was holding my camera, and even asked if we wanted a photo.

She is indeed a lovely lady, down-to-earth, genuine and nice.

Aw, I'd like to meet her. She sounds like someone you could have a fantastic natter over the garden fence with! :D