Why did Little Mix not get a Brit nomination?

ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They are probably one of the best British Girl Groups the UK has ever had. Yet no Brit nom! For some reason One Direction have been nominated again for Best Group...

It wouldn't hurt to have separate categories "Best Group" and "Best Band." They could still have "Best Live Act" too because lots of bands aren't necessarily good live.

Comments

• AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the best British Girl Groups the UK has ever had.
    Excuse me my arse just fell off I was laughing so hard.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Apparently they JUST missed out getting a 'Best Single' nomination but I don't have a clue why they didn't get a best newcomer nomination.

I think it's ridiculous too and Ellie Goulding's album should've been nominated for a Brit too.
  • old mixerold mixer Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »

Can you give a reasoned opinion, logically and without resource to insulting comments?
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    One of the best British Girl Groups the UK has ever had.

Maybe I should have said potentially... I guess they haven't actually achieved much yet. But their vocals are on point.
  • ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently they JUST missed out getting a 'Best Single' nomination but I don't have a clue why they didn't get a best newcomer nomination.

I think it's ridiculous too and Ellie Goulding's album should've been nominated for a Brit too.

They should have been nominated for best newcomer instead of Jake Bugg.

If Jake Bugg wins he's probably just going to slag off the other nominees and say how working class he is so he's fans can rejoice about how he is so refreshing .. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction are only nominated for popularity reasons... Little Mix are still practically nobodies. That's why.

And as for the single, it's usually down to sales. Only the top 16 in the UK get the nod.
  • 19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose someone said this and its true.

We saw them on tv every Saturday so they didnt really break through did they? Like Ben Howard, Rita Ora, Alt-J etc who actually broke through without the help of TV.

I am a big Little Mix fan BTW.
  • old mixerold mixer Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1992 wrote: »
    We saw them on tv every Saturday so they didnt really break through did they? Like Ben Howard, Rita Ora, Alt-J etc who actually broke through without the help of TV.

I am a big Little Mix fan BTW.

They came from nowhere in just a few months.. What's that if not a breakthrough??:D
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    old mixer wrote: »
    They came from nowhere in just a few months.. What's that if not a breakthrough??:D

The power of television.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I don't think a band being manufactured, given a free platform to perform live week after week right before the nation's eyes is much of a 'breakthrough' worthy of rewarding.
  • MuSiKeMuSiKe Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wings was very overrated imo. DNA was a lot better.
  • blueface2222blueface2222 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's ridiculous to expect them to be in Best Group already, they only just started, 1D are the exception they're in to acknowledge their worldwide success mainly down to female buyers which a girl band wouldn't have.

Girls Aloud are the biggest accomplishment for me, they're a girl band that managed to garner a cross sectioned appeal and carefully won people over - they never had the female buyers to begin with like a boyband would have but yes indeed they did win lots of people over and that took years. Girls Aloud got 5 Brit nominations - Best Group twice 6 years down the line, Best Pop Act unjustly losing out to Mcfly and Best Single which the public voted them to win for The Promise.

Little Mix have potential to be the new Sugababes. The Saturdays are the new Girls Aloud of this generation. I don't think either will accomplish what GA did in my opinion, their record sales where never huge huge but they really did become stars individually as well.

Oh yeah Little Mix, their albums done alright hasn't it, i'd just be glad they're getting a second album.
  • Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Girls Aloud and Cheryl's 'Call My Name' getting snubbed is a bigger disgrace.

But these awards are just celebrating what they deem as in at the moment, i can almost promise you this year Emeli Sandé will win a few, like Ed Sheeran last year and Adele the year before that...
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    I don't think a band being manufactured, given a free platform to perform live week after week right before the nation's eyes is much of a 'breakthrough' worthy of rewarding.

Spot on!
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are probably one of the best British Girl Groups the UK has ever had.

LOL I'm sorry ? They don't come close to Spice Girls, All Saints, Girls Aloud and Sugababes, heck even Saturdays.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Dynopia wrote: »
    They are probably one of the best British Girl Groups the UK has ever had.

LOL I'm sorry ? They don't come close to Spice Girls, All Saints, Girls Aloud and Sugababes, heck even Saturdays.

Atomic Kitten > Saturdays.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    change, change your life, take it all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy Winehouse nominated for Best British Female?
    Did they not get the memo that Amy is infact DEAD!!?

Little Mix should have been nominated for 'British Breakthrough Act'- It seems the nominees for this category are all a little "too cool for school" dare I say, "alternative" ??

Alt-J ? / Ben Howard ? / Jake Bugg ? / Jessie Ware ? / Rita Ora (who imo SHOULD be there)

The above list of acts is something I'd expect to see at The Mercury Prize Awards NOT The Brit Awards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Musick1 wrote: »

Little Mix should have been nominated for 'British Breakthrough Act'- It seems the nominees for this category are all a little "too cool for school" dare I say, "alternative" ??

Alt-J ? / Ben Howard ? / Jake Bugg ? / Jessie Ware ? / Rita Ora (who imo SHOULD be there)

The above list of acts is something I'd expect to see at The Mercury Prize Awards NOT The Brit Awards.

Little Mix over Alt-J, Ben Howard and Jake Bugg? Just stop.

They are far more deserving than Little Mix. Who are simply puppets, not artists.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little Mix over Alt-J, Ben Howard and Jake Bugg? Just stop.

They are far more deserving than Little Mix. Who are simply puppets, not artists.

That's a matter of opinion & not fact.

All I'm saying is that the Brit Awards (for me) are more of a celebration of "pop music" (also opinion & not fact)

If this were NME Awards or The Mercury Music Prize, then yes, I would agree with you.
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a matter of opinion & not fact.

All I'm saying is that the Brit Awards (for me) are more of a celebration of "pop music" (also opinion & not fact)

If this were NME Awards or The Mercury Music Prize, then yes, I would agree with you.

The Brit Awards is supposed to be a celebration of British Music not just "pop music"
    Although they make a complete hash of it most of the time by awarding the most successful rather than the 'Best' in a category.
    I'm sure there's a T4 Awards for pop music though.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the main question for myself, is why Rebecca Ferguson has been snubbed at all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    I think it may be to early for brit nominations for Little mix. Maybe next year. They throw Brits at bands/singers like dog biscuits after a few songs. Never agreed with that myself. Show a body of work 1st/ Gee, it's the brits not the Smash hits poll winners party.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member

Has there ever been a posthomous (sp?) award given at the Brits before?
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they are crap maybe? Dont deserve one maybe? Liked by little kids and gay queens maybe? Sorry im putting things in boxes lol. No seiously, i dont think they derseve to be nominated, maybe next year if they are still going.