Channel 5 get the rights to History's "The Bible"

Comments

• square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    No point watching, we all know how it ends. :D
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    This looks rather good.

I'm glad they are looking more towards cable. It's a natural progression as that's where a lot of the best shows are coming from now.
  • pembo2004pembo2004 Posts: 4,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cant wait for this

i'll be interested what time slot channel 5 chooses for this
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Apparently it's shockingly bad (and conveniently skips anything remotely uncomfortable from the Bible). I'll probably give it a shot though...
  • loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Genuinely made me laugh!:D
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No spoilers please. :D
  • gothergother Posts: 14,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully they'll get Vikings too.
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently it's shockingly bad (and conveniently skips anything remotely uncomfortable from the Bible). I'll probably give it a shot though...

I've seen episodes 1 & 2 and what you have heard is true.

I love a good Biblical epic, but this was poorly done.
  • Summer Bay CatSummer Bay Cat Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    pembo2004 wrote: »
    cant wait for this

i'll be interested what time slot channel 5 chooses for this

I agree, pembo2004. This show has got me excited, and I can't wait for it to air in the UK. I'm actually quite glad Channel 5 are dipping their toes into programs from across the pond that wouldn't necessarily have been picked up by any of the other main broadcasters. Like you said though, it'll be interesting to see what time slot they choose, and more importantly, how well it'll rate.

In my opinion, I'd stick this on on a Wednesday at 9pm following the conclusion of NCIS's current season. Wednesday nights do seem to hold up well for them nowadays. Before the show at 8pm, they could stick a new religious or cultural documentary on, which could hopefully entice viewers in.

I'll look forward to this.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished watching this. I thought it was excellent. Not the best acted at times but I enjoyed seeing the Bible "come to life on screen" Yes certain things were missed out but I think that is to be expected The Bible is huge book which contains a vast amount of material.

It gets a thumbs up for me for the time it took on The Passion even down to the little moment when Mary and the Jews give their last rights to Jesus in his tomb.

Uncomfortable in what way? Morally? Ethically? I can't think of a lot I saw in those 5 episodes that I found comfortable to watch.

As a Christian I was so happy to see some of the most popular stories from the Bible visualised bringing the words of the Bible to life.

Particularly the Acts of the Apostles which I've never seen dramatised before now. Visually it was brutal but these were brutal times the Jewish people and the first Christians lived in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Uncomfortable in what way? Morally? Ethically? I can't think of a lot I saw in those 5 episodes that I found comfortable to watch.

As a Christian I was so happy to see some of the most popular stories from the Bible visualised bringing the words of the Bible to life.

Particularly the Acts of the Apostles which I've never seen dramatised before now. Visually it was brutal but these were brutal times the Jewish people and the first Christians lived in.

What I heard was that they had sanitized many elements, such as slaves being referred to as servants...
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I heard was that they had sanitized many elements, such as slaves being referred to as servants...

Either way it was clearly shown these people were oppressed and not free. The Israelites had a tough time of it even after they got out of Egypt. They got to Canaan and eventually Jerusalem when eventually the Romans took over.

Not a lot of what went on was in any way comfortable to me/ :)
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    There are already two other threads about this.

I recommend continuing all discussion in the following thread, as it is already into multiple pages:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1916383