email on ipad

Hi, I've just bought my first Apple gadget - an iPad4 and have set up a mail account based on the one I use on the PC (Outlook 2007).
I can send emails but don't seem to receive any. Can anyone offer any help or advice please, bearing in mind I'm not technically savvy?

Comments

• technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is your Email account IMAP (which is the best) or POP ???

In Outlook

File tab then account settings ....

click on your account .... you then see your "internet Email settings"
    these are what you need to have in on the Ipad ...

click on the More settings button and then on Advanced settings - this gives you some more Port numbers which may be needed.

If you have a POP account you may need to find a tick box to set "Save Emails on Server " on some similar sentence

(POP accounts really only like a single user device for them as it send the emails to your PC
    AND THEN DELETES them on the server unless you tell it to NOT delete/ Keep)

(note SKY Email changed to a POP only service recently!)
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First thing to try is to delete the account and try again. Let it pick up the settings automatically. I've found it's far too easy to brush the wrong thing on the iPad.

If that doesn't work, you'll probably get better advice if you tell us the email server (the bit after the '@' symbol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Thanks to jssmith99 and technologist for your replies. I'll try them out tomorrow.
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

(note SKY Email changed to a POP only service recently!)

The Sky incoming mail server address is imap.tools.sky.com. Doesn't that mean it's still an IMAP service?