iPad mini 2 questions.

victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I finally decided on a tablet & went for the new iPad mini. It is my first Apple product and I have a few questions:

1: Are there any other keyboards available? The qwerty inbuilt one is a little slow and I prefer the 3x4 phone keyboard.
2. The hepatic feedback is very weak, is there a way to make it stronger?
3. When looking on the web there is a half inch section at the top of the screen that is taken with the website address, back and forward button and favourites. Is there a way for this to disappear? It's a waste of screen.
4. The screen is not that responsive. Sometimes it takes a few presses to register. Is this normal?

Comments

• grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. You can only use the inbuilt keyboard on an iPad.

If you mean the keyboard click sound, no. It's on or off, that's it.

Nope. it's just there.

The screen on mine is incredibly responsive, so no, that's not right. Are you using a screen protector, or have you forgotten to take off the plastic wrapping? If not, suggest you take it back.

That said, given the issues above, you may have been better with an Android tablet as you can have different keyboards with those.
  • victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hepatic feedback is the sensation when pressing a mobile or tablet screen of a vibration and resistance. The screen on my iPad does not have this sensation. Instead it's just pressing onto a screen without any vibration. It's not very responsive.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    The hepatic feedback is the sensation when pressing a mobile or tablet screen of a vibration and resistance. The screen on my iPad does not have this sensation. Instead it's just pressing onto a screen without any vibration. It's not very responsive.

you mean haptic feedback, and the ipad does not have that feature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    you mean haptic feedback, and the ipad does not have that feature.

Yes my mistake, that's really surprising for such an expensive device. I really miss this responsive feel from the screen. Surprised there is not more feedback over this issue.
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes my mistake, that's really surprising for such an expensive device. I really miss this responsive feel from the screen. Surprised there is not more feedback over this issue.

I have haptic feedback on my Nexus 4 and turned it off, so not everyone wants it. I found it really annoying.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the hepatic feedback on my galaxy note 3. It winds my OH up no end but I enjoy it.

As others have said the iPad doesn't have this feature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the hepatic feedback on my galaxy note 3. It winds my OH up no end but I enjoy it.

As others have said the iPad doesn't have this feature.

haptic, not hepatic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't understand how someone can use a device without feeling you are having some response. Otherwise it's just pressing an innate piece of plastic or glass. Must admit although I have only had the mini for 2 days I am not that impressed so far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't understand how someone can use a device with feeling you are having some response. Otherwise it's just pressing an innate piece of plastic or glass. Must admit although I have only had the mini for 2 days I am not that impressed so far.

i can't understand why someone would need to feel a tiny vibration every time they touch the screen, but hey ho it takes all sorts.

maybe you should have tried the ipad mini out before purchasing, it clearly doesn't sound like the product for you.
    you've had it 2 days and you're already picking faults at it.
  • iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finally decided on a tablet & went for the new iPad mini. It is my first Apple product and I have a few questions:

1: Are there any other keyboards available? The qwerty inbuilt one is a little slow and I prefer the 3x4 phone keyboard.
    2. The hepatic feedback is very weak, is there a way to make it stronger?
    3. When looking on the web there is a half inch section at the top of the screen that is taken with the website address, back and forward button and favourites. Is there a way for this to disappear? It's a waste of screen.
    4. The screen is not that responsive. Sometimes it takes a few presses to register. Is this normal?

There's no way of hiding the address bar or forward/back buttons AFAIK but you can hide the Favorites bar.

To do so:

Settings>Safari>slide Show Favourites Bar to off.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haptic, not hepatic.

Yep nothing to do with my liver :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can't understand why someone would need to feel a tiny vibration every time they touch the screen, but hey ho it takes all sorts.

maybe you should have tried the ipad mini out before purchasing, it clearly doesn't sound like the product for you.
    you've had it 2 days and you're already picking faults at it.

I did try out the mini a few times at the Apple store. It felt snappier and more responsive. Plus I did a lot of research online. I was expecting more that's all.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Have you tried any of the other browsers like Chrome or Dolphin and see if they are any better?
    Forum Member
    It felt snappier and more responsive.

Maybe you have a duff unit?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did try out the mini a few times at the Apple store. It felt snappier and more responsive. Plus I did a lot of research online. I was expecting more that's all.

so at no point during the tests did you notice there was no haptic feedback, or that you didn't like the keyboard, or that there was a waste of screen space when browsing internet, or the screen was not as responsive as you want?

any basic research should have answered 3 of those 4 issues.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Maybe you have a duff unit?

Yes could be.
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chrome browser on ipad gets rid of the address bar etc.
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very happy with my Logitech bluetooth works well with my iPad full size. Sure they make them for the mini too.

OP have you tried the browser called Coast? It is made by Opera and is the first to be designed just for a tablet rather than converting. There is no address bad when surfing. It is free and good stuff IMO :)

PJ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice. I will try a few other browsers later when I get home.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With there being 3 screen suppliers there is always that possibility that the touchscreen part comes in 3 versions.
    Like the screens there is near zero info out there about it.

However, its not 'complex websites' that are the issue?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely feedback is useful to confirm a keypress.?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »

of all the touchscreen devices i've used i've never needed physical feedback to confirm any keypress.
    i tend to use my eyes for that, but hey ho whatever works for you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If seeing you typing I imagine I'd nickname you stumpy.

:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If seeing you typing I imagine I'd nickname you stumpy.

:eek:

anyway, haptic feedback only confirms you've pressed the screen, it doesn't confirm you've pressed the correct part of the screen (ie the correct key on the on-screen keypad). you still need to use your eyes to confirm what you've pressed is correct.

kind of makes the haptic feedback a bit redundant really.

but as i said, whatever floats your boat.
    Forum Member

I hate any kind of feedback like that on a touchscreen.