Lizzie60Lizzie60 Posts: 450
Forum Member
Mine are the two James's and Mark Stacey

My least favourite are David Barby and Catherine Southon

Comments

• LadyxxmacbethLadyxxmacbeth Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i also have to agree that Catherine Southern is my least favourite.
    My favourite presenters are Charles Hanson and Paul Laidlaw:D
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lizzie60 wrote: »
    Mine are the two James's and Mark Stacey

My least favourite are David Barby and Catherine Southon

I always confuse Mark Stacey and David Barby!

I always feel sorry for Kate Bliss, because her items seem to bomb, and I love Anita Manning for her sheer enthusiasm - 'That's LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE-LEH! It's BEAAAAAUUUUUTIFUL, it's CHAAAAARRRMING!'.

I can take or leave Philip Serrel, although sometimes his grumpiness is endearing. I'm not too fussed about Catherine Southon or the bald chap (whose name I forget). Charles Hanson is always fun to watch as an expert because he is useless! ;)
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anita any day. She is fab...and I also love it when she is the auctioneer as she gets excited..65/65/65
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Lewis is normally very canny. I quite like Philip Serrell.

Not keen on Catherine Southern, Or Thomas Plant.....
  • NormandyMaryNormandyMary Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James Lewis and Paul Laidlaw are sure to get their teams a profit and I think they are great. Jonathon Pratt is the easiest on the eye by a mile, though he's not that great as an expert. Catherine Southon drapes herself over the contestants, especially the men, it makes me feel very uncomfortable, plus she can be a bit sharp with her teams if they dont choose what she wants. Anita Manning is fun and her auction house is the best, followed by James Lewis's place.
    David Barby is a drama queen, he knows his stuff but he gets a bit excited, whereas Philip Serrell is so laid back he's almost horizontal and doesnt take himself very seriously. All the rest are fine and quite easy to watch.
    Glad that Tim is at the helm, sooooo glad that David "cheap as chips" Dickinson left. He just makes me want to puke!
  • wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Stacey and Philip Serrell.
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Lewis and Paul Laidlaw are sure to get their teams a profit and I think they are great. Jonathon Pratt is the easiest on the eye by a mile, though he's not that great as an expert. Catherine Southon drapes herself over the contestants, especially the men, it makes me feel very uncomfortable, plus she can be a bit sharp with her teams if they dont choose what she wants. Anita Manning is fun and her auction house is the best, followed by James Lewis's place.
    David Barby is a drama queen, he knows his stuff but he gets a bit excited, whereas Philip Serrell is so laid back he's almost horizontal and doesnt take himself very seriously. All the rest are fine and quite easy to watch.
    Glad that Tim is at the helm, sooooo glad that David "cheap as chips" Dickinson left. He just makes me want to puke!
    The lovely Catherine can drape herself over me any time she chooses. If I was on the show with her as my expert my mind would not be on hunting bargains, that's for sure. :p:o

I prefer the more relaxed experts like Philip Serrell. It is just a TV show, not really serious business. Charles Hanson is also good entertainment value, especially when he's the auctioneer.

I can't think of any experts I dislike particularly. I love the bonhomie and banter between them, especially between Barby and Serrell. It makes the show ever watchable, while other antiques and auction shows get very tiresome because they are so serious.
  • iceyciceyc Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, they did well on Bargain Hunt today. One team with over £200 profit and one with over £300! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iceyc wrote: »
    Wow, they did well on Bargain Hunt today. One team with over £200 profit and one with over £300! :D

And one of them was Charles Hanson, too :eek:
  • ofniofni Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iceyc wrote: »
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    And one of them was Charles Hanson, too :eek:

AND we had a textbook "Forrty Pounds Forrty Pounds" from Anita as well!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    Anita any day. She is fab...and I also love it when she is the auctioneer as she gets excited..65/65/65

I was on BH and Anita was our expert, she was fab' indeed. :)

Also Mr Tim Wonnacott is the consumate gentleman, friendly, funny, and totally lovely. :D
  • zackai48zackai48 Posts: 800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like all the experts-though James Lewis and Paul Laidlaw seem to be the most successful. However, I am finding that Tim Wonnacott is really ruining the show with his unneccessary and unfunny voice-over when the teams are shopping. Can he not shut up occasionally? He did the same on Antiques Road Trip, making the show almost unwatchable.
  • ofniofni Posts: 3,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today was exceptional, but success does seem to depend on which auction-room is used.

Anita's place always seems to have a sizeable and "keen-to-buy" crowd, whereas some other places tend to have much thinner and meaner attendees.

As a result, quite often the sales produce nearly all losses. This could of course be the result of bad choices, or the in-built problem of buying at retail and selling at auction. But it does seem that if the first lot does well or badly, the remaining seven seem to follow suit.
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i also have to agree that Catherine Southern is my least favourite.
    My favourite presenters are Charles Hanson and Paul Laidlaw:D

Ditto. James Lewis, too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ofni wrote: »
    AND we had a textbook "Forrty Pounds Forrty Pounds" from Anita as well!:)

Ha! I'm SO glad someone else has picked up on Anita's auctioneering style (or rather, habit!):

'All done at two-twenty, TWO-TWEEEENTYYYY'

'All done at three hundred, THREE HUUUUNNNDREEEED!'

'All done at eighty pounds, EIGHTY POOOUUUUUNNNDDSS!'

:D
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    I do like Anita Manning a lot and I also like Elizabeth Talbot who is usually an auctioneer, They both have a good eye and know their stuff.

I like Kate Bliss and Philip Serrell but more for personality and their presenting skills rather than judgement.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ofni wrote: »
    Today was exceptional, but success does seem to depend on which auction-room is used.

Anita's place always seems to have a sizeable and "keen-to-buy" crowd, whereas some other places tend to have much thinner and meaner attendees.

As a result, quite often the sales produce nearly all losses. This could of course be the result of bad choices, or the in-built problem of buying at retail and selling at auction. But it does seem that if the first lot does well or badly, the remaining seven seem to follow suit.

Agreed, the Glasgow location always has a crowd of eager buyers whereas some locations are inhabited by stingy niggardly meanies, the only reason for being there is to get their faces on telly.

Paul Laidlaw and sexy Catherine are my two top aces.
  • kalikikikankalikikikan Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    Another vote for James Lewis for me too. He really does seem to know his stuff and any man who has a passion for his subject gets my vote.
    If I was a contestant I would be happy with either him of Paul Laidlaw as my expert.
    I met Anita Manning on Flog It, very pleasant lady and as everyone says I love her auctioneer style, closely followed by Charles Hanson conducting his bidders.
  • davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that some of the auction houses they use are almost guaranteed losses. Why they go to Charles hansosn's sales I don't know, there are hardly ever any bidders at all. It can't be a "Derby" thing as James Lewis' sales are usually pretty good.
    They should also stop using Jonathan Pratt's saleroom & the one in Somerset (shepton Mallet?), they go to occasionally.
    Fav experts are Anita, James Lewis, David Barby & Philip Serrel, although I think Paul Laidlaw is easily the best in terms of a real bargain, his bonus buy is rarely a flop!
    I don't like Kate Bliss, David Harper & Charles Hanson.
    I still think it's great that Bargain Hunt is still going strong though, the original & the best!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I love Bargain Hunt and I'm especially a fan of Tim.

My favourites experts are David Barby, Philip Serrell and Mark Stacey.
  • kenikikeniki Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. david . Phillip. catherine, although I like all of them,
    Used not to like Anita, but warming to her now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to be a pedant but BH has only ever had 2 presenters, David Dickinson & Tim Wonnacott.

Of those, I prefer the latter.

Dickinson believed his only publicity & thought he was bigger than the show.
    Ah well
  • LanceWilkinsLanceWilkins Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    "When Anita stands up she scares you into bidding !" said Tim.

Anita and Tim -- my two favourites on this programme.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite experts are Mark Stacey, Paul Laidlaw, David Barby, Charles Hanson, James Braxton, James Lewis and Jonathan Pratt..
    If I were a contestant I wouldn't be keen on David Harper, Anita Manning and Philip Serrell, because I don't share the same taste as them in the fields of antiques and collectables they choose.
    But all the experts are good and I don't dislike any of them.
    I love it when they go to Charles Hanson's auction house with Mrs Hornblower in her hat!.
    He is my favourite of all.
  • TasiTasi Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsSpoon wrote: »
    My favourite experts are Mark Stacey, Paul Laidlaw, David Barby, Charles Hanson, James Braxton, James Lewis and Jonathan Pratt..
    If I were a contestant I wouldn't be keen on David Harper, Anita Manning and Philip Serrell, because I don't share the same taste as them in the fields of antiques and collectables they choose.
    But all the experts are good and I don't dislike any of them.
    I love it when they go to Charles Hanson's auction house with Mrs Hornblower in her hat!.
    He is my favourite of all.

Miss Hornblower spoonie! I love her and her hat.