alan carr- how long untill he has stateside success?

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
Forum Member
✭✭
The majority of his guests that are from america love him and mention his name to other high profile celebs who want to appear on his show.

He gets all the big names, just recently he hsd miley cyrus on weeks after the vma performance. Graham norton got his own show over there abd was pretty successful.

How long till alan Carr gets poached and becomes the next big thin

Comments

• MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never

He's annoying & unfunny
  • SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What American celebrities have been mentioning him to others?

I love Alan Carr, I find him hilarious and he seems like a nice guy, deserves the success!
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SarahJam wrote: »
    What American celebrities have been mentioning him to others?

I love Alan Carr, I find him hilarious and he seems like a nice guy, deserves the success!

Pink mentioned him to someone a few series ago and jamie fox was recommended to do his show by another rapper apparently
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The majority of his guests that are from america love him and mention his name to other high profile celebs who want to appear on his show.

He gets all the big names, just recently he hsd miley cyrus on weeks after the vma performance. Graham norton got his own show over there abd was pretty successful.

I think he's great but not someone who would travel well.
  • ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the way the American guests relax when they realise just what they can get away with on his show :D
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never. He's too gay. Sorry-v unPC but this is America we're talking about not gay friendly Britain.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    Never. He's too gay. Sorry-v unPC but this is America we're talking about not gay friendly Britain.
    I thought Jamie Foxx looked quite uncormfortable during points in his interview.

Out of the big three though Carr gets the shittest guests. Mostly made up of his mates, talent/reality show z-listers and channel 4 presenters.

I doubt if the Norton show was currently on if Carr would have got Cyrus.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he ever even performed in America?
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think this is true. America doesn't do camp with quite the same gusto Britain does.
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could America cope with his teeth ?
  • farscapefarscape Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has he ever tried? Has he ever expressed an interest at trying his hand on US television?

The same arguments could have been put forth for Graham Norton when he tried to break the US. At the time the Channel 4 version of his show was getting then relevant big name American guests.

Of course when he went to the US he struggled to get the same calibre of celebrities on his couch. The reason he got the cream of the crop in the UK was because his show ot big ratings so when US celebs wanted to promote their latest project their bookers got them on the Graham's show. In the US he was an unknown ad had to start at the beginning with lesser named guests and the occasional bigger name who came to their good will.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His voice alone could drill thru concrete

Annoying
  • SarahJamSarahJam Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    His voice alone could drill thru concrete

Annoying

Ok we get he annoys you.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked how he once addressed Niall of One Direction: 'have you got more Irish since I last saw you?'

Lol.
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boy needs to go back to his roots, he too damn big for dem boots y'na em sayin....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbCsQSXQlmk
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be disastrous for the UK - Americans already stereotype us as 'gay, with bad teeth' - please, don't send him out there to confirm it! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    He's so completely British in his presenting style that I can't see the Americans taking to him.
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully soon OP. Then he can **** off our screens and stay there.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think that some Americans like a camp persona but not someone who directly refers to the fact that they're gay.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You have got to be kidding with this post!?

His Chatty Man show has a widely regarded appalling guest list. Repetitive and unremarkable people. Horribly blatant promoting their stuff week in week out.

As for the USA, not a chance. For a start the USA is still a backward country regards being obviously gay like Alan Carr. Plus they never need much of an excuse to need subtitles with people that speak differently, and Alan would need subtitles.

I like him, but he should stick to the stand up alone, and stay in Britain.
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Alan Carr he's fantastic and a spot on American TV would be very well deserved, however - saying that I can't forget that what made me like Alan Carr and where I saw him first was his stand up comedy and I fear if he were to go over there, we wouldn't see that side of him anymore.

He made me laugh with the interview with Sharon Osbourne a couple of weeks ago - "Who's house are you going to be pretending to live in this year then?" Talking about X-factor judges homes :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Graham Norton is much more popular with the big names than Alan Carr.
  • jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soon and I hope he stays there :mad:
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    I don't think he'd make it in the States at all.
  • pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member

I don't think he will ever have Stateside success. What has he to offer America which several hundred other homegrown comics can't offer? Nothing, really. Also they are not half as in love with the camp character (Julian Clary, John Inman, Larry, Grayson, Frankie Howerd) as the Brits - it's a music hall thing. And the Yanks aren't half as relaxed about it all as we are - and the Bible belt and the Mid-West are a big 'market'.

As for Carr 'getting all the big names', it's business, love. They only appear to plug their latest film, DVD, CD or whatever and Carr happens to be in the chair interviewing them. The do the rounds and it is all choreographed and scripted, almost down to the 'ad libs'. Sorry to shatter the dream but someone had to.