Beckham to donate salary to charity

Comments

• sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,010
    Forum Member
    He'd better not get his knighthood before Gary! There'll be a lot of unhappy Take That fans out there if he does!:D

Seriously - the Beckhams come in for a lot of stick that is totally unwarranted. He seems like a decent guy and why not give the money to a French charity? David Gest does a lot of charity work for British Charities (well specifically Liverpool / Northwest based) and he's an American.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He deserves a knighthood imho............

What on Earth for??? Services to the Beckhams? :rolleyes:
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He'd better not get his knighthood before Gary! There'll be a lot of unhappy Take That fans out there if he does!:D

Seriously - the Beckhams come in for a lot of stick that is totally unwarranted. He seems like a decent guy and why not give the money to a French charity? David Gest does a lot of charity work for British Charities (well specifically Liverpool / Northwest based) and he's an American.

Here's what he should have done - big publicity riddled visit to the hospice in question. Quiet, unpublicised monetary donation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Jones wrote: »
    So just on the basis that he is British he should give to the UK? Jesh is'nt it enough that he is even doing it? Some people will always put a dampner on a good deed

Beckham needs to remember where the knighthood he desperately craves would possibly come from.

I suppose when you up sticks so often for possible tax reasons and where your wife can flog her gear/find her new BFFs, it must be easy to forget England...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So he gets accommodation and security paid for when he goes to France. Plus brand rights. So hardly the saint some people are making him out to be, is he?

This stunt may just come back to bite him yet
    Forum Member
    Here's what he should have done - big publicity riddled visit to the hospice in question. Quiet, unpublicised monetary donation.
    This is why I admire really famous people like Sandra Bullock and Kevin Costner. If there is something they believe in they just write out a whopping great cheque and to hell what people think.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His wages will go to a hospice i believe..
    But he will still do very well without the money. his contracts for clothes and perfume are worth many millions of pounds..and he is in a positioon financially to be able live like a king forever,even if he retires now...
    This si what i think will happen to him when he retires from playing/
    1. become a director of a well known football club some suggest PSG or real madrid...and buy shares in the company.
    2. become knighted by the queen within 10 years
    3.to be president of FIFA or CEO of the FA .
    4. to become a grandfather in 20 years time..
    5. buy his own island near the canaries.

Exactly he did it for his own good.
    Forum Member
    CM wrote: »
    Exactly he did it for his own good.
    Most celebrities do. I do have a soft spot for Beckham though (even though I've never been a fan of Manchester United). I do think he does have a kind heart ... and he can hardly escape the publicity can he? He is a much bigger star than a load of other so-called celebrities hitching themselves to the charity band-wagon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most celebrities do. I do have a soft spot for Beckham though (even though I've never been a fan of Manchester United). I do think he does have a kind heart ... and he can hardly escape the publicity can he? He is a much bigger star than a load of other so-called celebrities hitching themselves to the charity band-wagon.

Of course he can escape the publicity. He can write the cheque and make it conditional on anonymity.
    Forum Member
    Of course he can escape the publicity. He can write the cheque and make it conditional on anonymity.
    True. Although to be honest ... as I said earlier .... I have a lot more time for celebrities who write out cheques (from their own accounts) publicly than celebrities who feed on endless TV appearances - getting credit for raising money for charity (from those of us who can hardly afford it) raising their own charity profile without making a dent in their own personal wealth. And to-boot - a lot of them even dodge their taxes! Not mentioning any names of course. And then they get honours from Mrs Queen!

I've made a conscious decision to not give a penny to CIN, Comic Relief or any such load of old bollocks hosted by fame-hungry celebrities. I just give money to beggars in the street and the Salvation Army ... they're more honest!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've made a conscious decision to not give a penny to CIN, Comic Relief or any such load of old bollocks hosted by fame-hungry celebrities. I just give money to beggars in the street and the Salvation Army ... they're more honest!

I'm surprised the Beckham publicity machine hasn't invaded CIN by now... Or will that come sooner or later?

I see his face is splattered all over Sainsbury's again. I wonder how much he pocketed for that? Ads for school vouchers as well :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting move. By doing this in France no-one can accuse him of doing it to get a knighthood. Presumably his accountants and Victoria have told him about French tax - will he be paying 75%? Will his sponsorship deals be taxed at French rates too? If so he can't be accused of tax dodges either.

I sometimes look at the rich - footballers, bankers, film stars, BBC top talent - and ask myself what if they were "only" paid £10 million instead of £15? Would they really turn round and say the job is not worth it? Here's someone who has bucked the trend.
    Forum Member
    samwalk wrote: »
    Interesting move. By doing this in France no-one can accuse him of doing it to get a knighthood.
    I just don't believe he's after a knighthood at all (there are some charidee merchants out there actively after a knighthood - but I honestly don't think Beckham is one of them). I mean for heaven's sake - call it fickle if you want - but Beckham and Mrs Beckham are Hollywood royalty - so what the hell does he need a knighthood for? It will come to him one day ... and it will be deserved ... but I honestly don't think he's actively striving for one!
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the great mystery is why his well worn legs are worth 150k a week to PSG. I mean what are they thinking. I suppose he might just cope with a few games in the French League. Are they really paying him that much? Of course it's all going to charity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely the great mystery is why his well worn legs are worth 150k a week to PSG. I mean what are they thinking. I suppose he might just cope with a few games in the French League. Are they really paying him that much? Of course it's all going to charity.

The BBC report quotes the estimated amount to be given to charity as 'at least £1 million', which over 5 months, works out at £50,000 a week.
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would imagine its not so much his legs they are after ..... more the name "Beckham" to put on their 110 Euro football shirts.

The club will make far more than they are paying him, after the gullible fans have bought all the Beckham tat which will be on sale in the club shop.

I'm predicting a few appearances as a sub and then off to peddle Brand Beckham somewhere else
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=sheila blige;64007760]I just don't believe he's after a knighthood at all (there are some charidee merchants out there actively after a knighthood - but I honestly don't think Beckham is one of them). I mean for heaven's sake - call it fickle if you want - but Beckham and Mrs Beckham are Hollywood royalty - so what the hell does he need a knighthood for? It will come to him one day ... and it will be deserved ... but I honestly don't think he's actively striving for one![/QUOTE]

His appearances pre royal wedding would suggest otherwise; totally sycophantic twaddle about how he deeply admired Wills blah blah blah. It stunk of desperation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Beckham needs to remember where the knighthood he desperately craves would possibly come from.

I suppose when you up sticks so often for possible tax reasons and where your wife can flog her gear/find her new BFFs, it must be easy to forget England...

I don't if its your intention, but you come across as really bitter.

Its a shame that someone can't do something like this without being subjected to rants like this. So what if he is loaded, so what if him and his wife ave created a brand that will keep them comfortable for the rest of their life. This is not the only thing Beckham has done for charity, and he is always supporting charities in the UK, and America, and now paris, I am sure he has many more that we don't know about.

The comment about the knighthood is funny, relations between France and UK have always been good, you think the queen only notices what happens in her own country!
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always thought Beckham gets way more stick than he deserves.

Throughout his career, he's always seemed quite private, and never that keen or comfortable with the celebrity side of it. Sure he's often in the public eye, but rarely in a bad way.

And, perhaps more than most footballers these days, he's always seemed a great ambassador for the game and sport generally.

I hate the way when people do something like this, people are queuing up to have a go at them, about it not being selfless. At least their doing it.

And what does he get out of really? Publicity? Like he needs publicity any more than he needs the money?
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »

Throughout his career, he's always seemed quite private, and never that keen or comfortable with the celebrity side of it. Sure he's often in the public eye, but rarely in a bad way.

And, perhaps more than most footballers these days, he's always seemed a great ambassador for the game and sport generally.

I hate the way when people do something like this, people are queuing up to have a go at them, about it not being selfless. At least their doing it.

And what does he get out of really? Publicity? Like he needs publicity any more than he needs the money?

Whether Victoria drove it or not, he was anything BUT private in the early days... Constant centrespreads in OK, the wedding pics, the TV documentaries.... Say what you like about Beckham but he is anything but private.. You don't get to his level of fame by keeping yourself to yourself. Sure, VB probably orchestrated a lot of the publicity but to say he is private is, IMHO, completely wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »

He and his wife crave publicity, they always have. Once again - there would be nothing to criticise if he handed the cheque over quietly and asked the hospice to keep it quiet. He invited the discussion - good and bad. I wonder why......
    Whether Victoria drove it or not, he was anything BUT private in the early days... Constant centrespreads in OK, the wedding pics, the TV documentaries.... Say what you like about Beckham but he is anything but private.. You don't get to his level of fame by keeping yourself to yourself. Sure, VB probably orchestrated a lot of the publicity but to say he is private is, IMHO, completely wrong.

Very true. His aversion to privacy in the earlier stages of his marriage led, as I recall, to quite a lot of conflict with Ferguson and his team-mates.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bambii wrote: »
    I don't if its your intention, but you come across as really bitter.

Its a shame that someone can't do something like this without being subjected to rants like this. So what if he is loaded, so what if him and his wife ave created a brand that will keep them comfortable for the rest of their life. This is not the only thing Beckham has done for charity, and he is always supporting charities in the UK, and America, and now paris, I am sure he has many more that we don't know about.

I know! All this criticism about why he didn't give 50% of this salary to a UK charity! As if he's never given a penny to any charitable cause here!

As I said earlier, I do think the announcement of this donation could have been handled better from a PR perspective - but the bile that it's generated is truly in indirect proportion to the gesture.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    I know! All this criticism about why he didn't give 50% of this salary to a UK charity! As if he's never given a penny to any charitable cause here!

As I said earlier, I do think the announcement of this donation could have been handled better from a PR perspective - but the bile that it's generated is truly in indirect proportion to the gesture.

True - the announcement might not have been made at all; that would have been handling it very well.

The 'bile' - as you call it - is generated by the announcement, not the gesture. Surely that's crystal clear at this stage?
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True - the announcement might not have been made at all; that would have been handling it very well.

The 'bile' - as you call it - is generated by the announcement, not the gesture. Surely that's crystal clear at this stage?

No it's not crystal clear and to suggest it's just that suggests you haven't read half the posts on this thread. There's just as much bile about him/them as there is about the donation.

Maybe you're right, it shouldn't have been announced at all, or, as I said earlier, the focus should have been on the charity not the gesture. I just can't get outraged over a donation that will benefit kids in need, regardless of its origins or the manner in which it was announced.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His heart's in the right place imo. His devotion to kids is not for publicity I don't think.

He's not the only one doing it but wish a few more footballers and sportspeople would donate like this.