Three women, missing for a decade, escape from kidnapper

Comments

• Sarah.1987Sarah.1987 Posts: 1,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing story, just goes to show..Never give up on those who go missing.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    katkim wrote: »
    I remember when Natascha Kampusch was rescued and I couldn't believe what has happened to her, and then Jaycee Dugard was found alive, and then Elisabeth Fritzl, and now these 3 women and their children...My mind just can't grapple with how these men can imprison these women in their homes and get away with it for so long. In this case, how does a man come up with the idea of abducting a woman without one of their brothers saying 'Are you out of your mind?!' and instead says 'Wow, great idea, count me in!'.

Thankfully they're now free and hopefully they can rebuild their lives.

I know what you mean. I find the human mind fascinating - when there are cases of serial killers etc on the news it's always the psychology side of things I find the most interesting - ie what makes these people do what they do, how does their mind work etc. But in this case, where it appears there were 3 men involved I just don't understand how they could all do this, and over such a long period of time. I can't get my head around that at all.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish I had spent the last 10 years locked in a dungeon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Wish I had spent the last 10 years locked in a dungeon.

Funny that...

:D:D:D
  • dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sort of gives us hope for the likes of Madeline McCann.
    Saw a police office interviewed " stories like this dont usually get this result, " Hope can be good and bad.
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    I know what you mean. I find the human mind fascinating - when there are cases of serial killers etc on the news it's always the psychology side of things I find the most interesting - ie what makes these people do what they do, how does their mind work etc. But in this case, where it appears there were 3 men involved I just don't understand how they could all do this, and over such a long period of time. I can't get my head around that at all.

They were brothers, which makes it a little less random. Apparently, the owner of the house has a son, a journalist who wrote a story about the consequences of the disappearances on the community. There is no evidence to say he knew anything of it though.
  • finkfink Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    Oooh. Edgy.

I'll be here all week.
  • MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The child appears to be about six years old, born in captivity to Amanda Berry.

Interview about rescue of the four here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/07/three-missing-women-found-cleveland

It also says the women were probably kept chained up. The British press are being careful about the privacy of the little girl, unlike press from other countries they are usually not even showing pixelated pictures of her.
  • ML11ML11 Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reminds me of watching this disturbing film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stayner

A sad ending
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ML11 wrote: »
    Reminds me of watching this disturbing film

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Stayner

A sad ending

I remember the film vividly from decades ago. It was a harrowing and very moving movie to watch.
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must be bittersweet for Amanda to be freed then to find out her mother died. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julzei wrote: »

I don't know how your mind and body wouldn't implode or explode with the magnitude of it all. I really can't imagine what that kind of feeling is like.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was shocked when I heard this on the news this morning. How amazing is this and what great news for all the families.

It just shows you never really know what your neighbours are like and what goes on behind closed doors.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I cant even get my head around it. Captured for ten years and they finally escape when the home owner is out.

Its quite chilling that theyve probably screamed and screamed pretty much everytime he left the house for the past ten years! Im amazed nobody ever heard them before.

I did like the comment from the rescuer when he said he knew it was real and serious when a pretty white little girl ran into the arms of a black man for safety!
  • dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is so sad. Apparently, she campaigned endlessly. At least Amanda will know this and how much her mother loved her and looked for her. Doesn't make it any easier I know.
  • copthis1copthis1 Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PPhilster wrote: »
    Anti-religion and anti-Americanism are two of the most popular things people express on this forum.

Cos they are both well worth a slating.....
  • MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Press conference going on at the moment. Many questions about the main perpetrator being questioned by police about ten years ago about a school child being "inadvertantly" left on the school bus he was driving.
  • jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Pandora 9 wrote: »
    Well the man who helped rescue them didn't say they were naked and I am sure he would have noticed. I do know what some of my neighbours buy because I am dead nosy btw ;)

You're playing to the gallery now, or trolling
  • gladiator18gladiator18 Posts: 3,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is horrific. Chains were also found hanging from the ceilings, and apparently they were used as sex slaves for other guys for ten years. Wtf. Amazing how no one even knew that they were inside the house for ten years. And the neighbour said that this guy acts normal, like you wouldnt suspect a thing.

Just imagine how many more are still in captivity right now as we speak, theres at least a few dozen who are being held captive and tortured.
    Horrifying.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delly wrote: »
    They were brothers, which makes it a little less random. Apparently, the owner of the house has a son, a journalist who wrote a story about the consequences of the disappearances on the community. There is no evidence to say he knew anything of it though.

I don't think so, too. He sounds pretty devastated and in shock.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The child appears to be about six years old, born in captivity to Amanda Berry.

I can't imagine what it must be like for the little girl. By all accounts so far, she never left the basement until the escape.

This has to be the worst thing I read today: Amanda Berry is dead, psychic tells her mother on Montel Williams' show (republished). It makes me so angry that someone would be that irresponsible.

Edit:

There are some reports that suggest the daughter isn't the only child born into captivity.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all simply horrific and mindblowing. To think of the horror these poor girls must have endured day in day out, and for years. There is at least 1 young child there - maybe more, we are yet to find out the full story - which indicates rape has taken place (and the expert on Sky News said sexual intention was usually the motive in these cases) and I cannot begin to imagine how these girls have copes over the years.

As much as this must give some kind of hope to parents of other missing children - Madeliene McCann and Ben Needham, both high profile cases - it must also rip them apart wondering if this is what their children are going through, children who were happy, loved and well looked after and for whom their first experience of anything less then happy in their young and innocent lives was when they were taken from their loving homes. I have a 12 year old boy and it makes my blood run cold to think of this horror beng inflicted on him.

I also feel for the little girl born in capitvity who has only known that life and although this brings freedom for her mother - as one of the kidnapped girls must be assumed to be - what will it mean for her? And I hope these monsters didn't assault her too.

I don't think the perpetrators should get the death penalty. Their punishment should be a whole life term in prison, in solitary confinement, their meals shoved silently under a door and with no chance of even going outside within the confines of the prison.
  • droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes that was my thought. These kind of cases make you feel slightly sick ... literally.

I can sort of understand the need to 'blame God'. it's hard sometimes to look at reality full in the face.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I can't imagine what it must be like for the little girl. By all accounts so far, she never left the basement until the escape.

This has to be the worst thing I read today: Amanda Berry is dead, psychic tells her mother on Montel Williams' show (republished). It makes me so angry that someone would be that irresponsible.

Edit:

There are some reports that suggest the daughter isn't the only child born into captivity.

As someone else mentioned further up this is like the novel Room . the book touches in great depth how hard it is for a child to relate in the big world. Imagine aged 6 and never been in a crowd before or in a shop or a playground. I just hope they get all the right therapy and help they need and can become as fully intergrated into society as possible.

I would imagine the McCanns are hoping their daughter is locked up somewhere too but I very much doubt it. All of the previous captured women have been of a sexual age. Although thinking about it that is possible but I don't think I want to think about that with a 3 yr old
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She might have already been aware of her Mother's death. In her 911 call didn't she say "I'm Amanda Berry, I've been on the news for the last 10 years" or words to that effect anyway. She obviously knew she'd been on the news and that her loved ones hadn't given up hope of finding her so if her Mother's death was reported at the time then maybe she was aware of that too.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

Edit:

Unbelievable and indeed shocking.

I wonder what the psychic has told other people in similar situations. In the article it says the mother believed in this psychic 98%