EE 2013 Quarter 1 Results

japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
Forum Member
✭✭✭
EE 2013 Q1:

Mobile service revenue: £1422m (2012 Q4: £1467m, 2012 Q1: £1503m)

Mobile Customers (Total):25.742m (2012 Q4: 26.148m, 2012 Q1: 26.491m)
Mobile Customers (Postpaid): 13.759m (2012 Q4: 13.594m, 2012 Q1: 12.993m)
Mobile Customers (Prepaid): 11.983m (2012 Q4: 12.554m, 2012 Q1: 13.498m)
4G Customers 318,000

4G Data Usage %:
Web browsing / email: 36.5
Video: 25.6
Music / Apps: 14.9
Social Media: 12.4
File sharing/storage: 2.0
Video Calling / Other: 8.2

4G % of data used:
Youtube: 12.7
Facebook: 9.9
Itunes: 7.3
Google: 2.7
Dropbox: 2.0
Instagram: 1.8
Twitter: 1.6
Deezer: 1.2
Speedtest: 0.8

4G Population Coverage Forecast:
55% by end of June 2013
70% by end of December 2013

Comments

• enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    EE 2013 Q1:

Mobile service revenue: £1422m (2012 Q4: £1467m, 2012 Q1: £1503m)

Mobile Customers (Total):25.742m (2012 Q4: 26.148m, 2012 Q1: 26.491m)
    Mobile Customers (Postpaid): 13.759m (2012 Q4: 13.594m, 2012 Q1: 12.993m)
    Mobile Customers (Prepaid): 11.983m (2012 Q4: 12.554m, 2012 Q1: 13.498m)
    4G Customers 318,000

4G Data Usage %:
    Web browsing: 36.5
    Video: 25.6
    Music / Apps: 14.9
    Social Media: 12.4
    File sharing/storage: 2.0
    Video Calling / Other: 8.2

4G % of data used:
    Youtube: 12.7
    Facebook: 9.9
    Itunes: 7.3
    Google: 2.7
    Dropbox: 2.0
    Instagram: 1.8
    Twitter: 1.6
    Deezer: 1.2
    Speedtest: 0.8

4G Population Coverage Forecast:
    55% by end of June 2013
    70% by end of December 2013

Ambitious targets to manage to reach 70% of the country in just over a year of deployment.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Ambitious targets to manage to reach 70% of the country in just over a year of deployment.

70% of the Population

It's always misleading when networks say they have 98% coverage or something like that. It just means 98% of the population can get a signal of some sort. Not actually 98% of the land mass is covered.

But i do have to agree that's impressive. That's a huge head start on their competitors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    70% of the Population

It's always misleading when networks say they have 98% coverage or something like that. It just means 98% of the population can get a signal of some sort. Not actually 98% of the land mass is covered.

But i do have to agree that's impressive. That's a huge head start on their competitors.

Actually no that my bad I got what was meant. I was trying say 70% of the people in the country. Yeah specially when Three will likely have only started rolling out two months before.

Anyone know if they will have started using 800MHz or 2600MHz by then?
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So in spite of launching 4G first they have actually been losing customers? (Down to 25.74 Million from 26.49 million in Q1 last year) When Orange and T-Mobile merged was the total not over 27 million?

It looks like they have lost close to 1 million customers in a year although 318,000 now have 4G. Revenues down from £1503m to £1422m. That is £81 million less year on year.

Looking beyond the 4G result, which appears to be reasonable although a lot of effort has been made migrating existing customers, customer numbers and revenues are dropping. Not a great sign and I doubt if there is much opportunity to make a premium from data on 4G as most consumers simply won't pay more to get speeds that make no difference to their user experience.

Olav & Co have a steep hill to climb and the stats that count seem to heading in the wrong direction presently.
  • ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems the customers have been lost in the prepaid sector 11.983m now - 2012 Q1 13.498m Quite a drop.

I get the impression they are too focused on EE, not on prepay. Ok so it's not a massive revenue stream as opposed to postpay but those are the people that do change to contract eventually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems the customers have been lost in the prepaid sector 11.983m now - 2012 Q1 13.498m Quite a drop.

I get the impression they are too focused on EE, not on prepay. Ok so it's not a massive revenue stream as opposed to postpay but those are the people that do change to contract eventually.

It's worse than that they are more focused on EE than even T-Mobile or Orange trying to force people on to EE
  • ChateauMarmontChateauMarmont Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's worse than that they are more focused on EE than even T-Mobile or Orange trying to force people on to EE

Yes I've read all the stories in regards to forced migrations and customers being contacted with regards to moving. I wonder how many of those 318,000 actually know what EE and 4G is?

I think moving forward, they need to have more of a focus on the lower end of the market. Right now on Orange's website you have a HTC Desire C at £15.50p/m with 50mins, unlimited texts and 250mb data. I'm sure if you walk into Tesco you can get a hell of a lot more than that for £7. They don't make a huge amount of profit, but it's still a customer who would tell their friends about the really cheap deal they have. Not everyone wants or has a need for 4g, I'm not sure they're quite grasping this yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm pretty sure that is a very good assessment.

It's easy to get distracted and that looks like what has happened with EE. Vodafone and O2 will not be forgiving and 3 have already thrown down the gauntlet with a technology neutral proposition that meets users needs and is cheaper by miles than EE's.

I suspect it's EE that 3 have been winning customers from and they will continue to benefit as long as EE keep their strategy of offering 4G as a premium product with unrealistic data limits. They are completely crazy attempting to win customers with speed that is capped with data limits that don't allow the benefits of 4G technology to be realised and the chances of getting customers to pay for out of plan data costs are next to nil.

Think again EE or continue to loose lots more customers and experience further revenue contraction.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I've read all the stories in regards to forced migrations and customers being contacted with regards to moving. I wonder how many of those 318,000 actually know what EE and 4G is?

I think moving forward, they need to have more of a focus on the lower end of the market. Right now on Orange's website you have a HTC Desire C at £15.50p/m with 50mins, unlimited texts and 250mb data. I'm sure if you walk into Tesco you can get a hell of a lot more than that for £7. They don't make a huge amount of profit, but it's still a customer who would tell their friends about the really cheap deal they have. Not everyone wants or has a need for 4g, I'm not sure they're quite grasping this yet.

Very true about stories I know they are true a cousin of mine has been on Orange contract since 2001 and isn't renewing this year because they were trying force her on to EE she got three phones calls about upgrading to EE in one week. She's just paid her final bill and is looking for a new contract at moment.
    I'm pretty sure that is a very good assessment.

It's easy to get distracted and that looks like what has happened with EE. Vodafone and O2 will not be forgiving and 3 have already thrown down the gauntlet with a technology neutral proposition that meets users needs and is cheaper by miles than EE's.

I suspect it's EE that 3 have been winning customers from and they will continue to benefit as long as EE keep their strategy of offering 4G as a premium product with unrealistic data limits. They are completely crazy attempting to win customers with speed that is capped with data limits that don't allow the benefits of 4G technology to be realised and the chances of getting customers to pay for out of plan data costs are next to nil.

Think again EE or continue to loose lots more customers and experience further revenue contraction.

In fairness O2 and Vodafone are the same the max data you can get from each of them is 4GB and it looks like there plans for 4G are going be about same price as EE. Take vodafone for example if the booster they charge a month is going be lets say 5 pounds [could be cheaper than that but doubt a lot cheaper] .It would be 42 a month for 1GB and 47 a month for 2GB even EE is cheaper than that and on the 47 equivalent from EE you get 3GB.

I can see Three rapidly growing as network in UK they seem to have realised unlike the others that customers want to use the 4G network they are going to roll out. The only problem I can see potentially happening is not having enough spectrum to keep up with demand but we will have to see and wait about that one.

EE seem to be thinking that everyone needs 4G and honestly that isn't the truth to a vast majority of people 3G is perfectly fine for them as long as they get a decent signal.

Which is why how Three has done it is better because they seem to realise that and instead come up with Ultrafast which incorporates there High End 3G network and there 4G when it comes out. A lot of people on the streets don't even know what 4G truly is.
  • japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Orange and T-Mobile merged was the total not over 27 million?

27.021 million
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    27.021 million

I thought so..... so EE are losing customers big time.... hardly what one would expect of the new faster technology provider if they have the correct startegy.
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So in spite of launching 4G first they have actually been losing customers? (Down to 25.74 Million from 26.49 million in Q1 last year) When Orange and T-Mobile merged was the total not over 27 million?
    So if they've lost ~0.75m customers in total and ~1.5m PAYG customers, they must've added ~0.75m contract customers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the Guardian EE have only managed to attract 130,000 4G customers from rival networks.

Underwhelming........

"Despite having a lengthy head start over its rivals, with Vodafone, O2 and Three unlikely to switch on their 4G services before May or June, EE has lured just 130,000 customers from competitors."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/apr/23/ee-everything-everywhere-4g-mobile
    Forum Member
    According to the Guardian EE have only managed to attract 130,000 4G customers from rival networks.

Underwhelming........

"Despite having a lengthy head start over its rivals, with Vodafone, O2 and Three unlikely to switch on their 4G services before May or June, EE has lured just 130,000 customers from competitors."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/apr/23/ee-everything-everywhere-4g-mobile

Proves the point i mentioned in a different thread where EE are ringing up customers and telling them lies/forcing them to move onto EE. I know people who got told 3G doesn't exist anymore and others that got told they can get 4G free and that 500mb is more than enough, others i know were sold 4G when they don't even live in a 4G area....

I wonder how many of those 190,000 existing customers actually know what they're paying for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Proves the point i mentioned in a different thread where EE are ringing up customers and telling them lies/forcing them to move onto EE. I know people who got told 3G doesn't exist anymore and others that got told they can get 4G free and that 500mb is more than enough, others i know were sold 4G when they don't even live in a 4G area....

I wonder how many of those 190,000 existing customers actually know what they're paying for.

Indeed.....

130,000 new customers from other networks sounds reasonable but when you consider EE have more than 600 retail outlets that means that each has only been able to capture 1.2 customers each trading day! That is unrealistic as the website will have attracted a proportion as will their direct sales teams. So it's probably fair to assess that EE's retail outlets have been struggling to attract ONE new customer a day each to 4G services.

The competition must be very relieved at EE's performance with 4G to date. Swantee can talk all he likes about speed but unless he can translate that benefit to customer uptake the head start will have been wasted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    130,000 new customers from other networks sounds reasonable but when you consider EE have more than 600 retail outlets that means that each has only been able to capture 1.2 customers each trading day! That is unrealistic as the website will have attracted a proportion as will their direct sales teams. So it's probably fair to assess that EE's retail outlets have been struggling to attract ONE new customer a day each to 4G services.
    How many of those 600 stores are in areas where LTE is available?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    How many of those 600 stores are in areas where LTE is available?

Does that matter? They all sell the service and customers may want to 'grow into' 4G by buying now and waiting until the service is available in their area. An EE smartphone works on 2G and 3G as well! Customers will also buy a service they can use at work but not at home and vice versa.

The EE 4G coverage in itself does not explain the very poor acquisition numbers from other UK networks to date.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Proves the point i mentioned in a different thread where EE are ringing up customers and telling them lies/forcing them to move onto EE.

Interesting. I must have missed that thread. Care to share the link?
    Forum Member
    Interesting. I must have missed that thread. Care to share the link?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65452831&highlight=#post65452831

There are other forums talking about this as well. Granted it's not a massive issue and there haven't been complaints on a big level. But when EE Call centres are lying to people to get them to sign up to 4G it really begs the question, just how many people know what they've signed up for? I know personally at least one person who's been almost mis sold.
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=65452831&highlight=#post65452831

There are other forums talking about this as well. Granted it's not a massive issue and there haven't been complaints on a big level. But when EE Call centres are lying to people to get them to sign up to 4G it really begs the question, just how many people know what they've signed up for? I know personally at least one person who's been almost mis sold.

Thanks for the link. For obvious reasons I won't be commenting on this, for the main reason that I don't work in sales.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It quite poor Three have managed to gain more customers than EE have recently. 500MB is useless to anyone who is on 4G you would struggle survive on 500MB if you only just checked your email.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    So that works out on average EE is gaining about 15,000 LTE customers a week.. Hardly a figure to be complaining about.
    Forum Member
    So that works out on average EE is gaining about 15,000 LTE customers a week.. Hardly a figure to be complaining about.

But they've lost over 1 million in the past year.

To be honest the uptake of EE4G has been pretty poor. Especially since a small number will account for business lines.

@plymouth- No worries, i'm not blaming anyone in EE personally. It's just i've had something like this happen to a friend (almost), and i've read reports of similar happenings on other forums as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they've lost over 1 million in the past year.
    No they haven't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there is certainly one thing that can be said EE have had no where near as many customers changing to 4G as was expected with them being the only 4G company.