Helen Flanagan posing with gun to head

Comments

• Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But I certainly accept that people who dislike her for whatever reason will probably feel the opposite.

It's not about liking or disliking someone. It's about hating this culture of people getting excused for the most inappropriate behaviour by those like yourself.

Why is it wrong to expect an adult to take responsibility for their actions when they are so idiotic? I feel like that tosser Jeremy Kyle by saying this but I do feel like I come from a different planet sometimes.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see what that's got to do with this incident ?

She's thick as mince and has probably always had mum and dad to deal with the consequences of her actions. Therefore, she doesn't engage her brain or consider the consequences of her actions.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    flobadob wrote: »
    Probably because a reporter from the Sun found one of the grieving parents, showed them the picture and then asked, "Isn't this terrible? What's your reaction?"
    These kind of "shocked reaction" stories in the tabloids are not merely reported by journalists - they are created by them.

I agree. If they did ask the parents, then they are the sick ones in all of this.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    It was taken a while ago, but she tweeted it (out of context) on Monday. I don't believe there was any malicious intent, but it was an incredibly stupid thing to do.

And would you have know about it if it wasn't for the scum printing it??? They are manipulating our emotions... And judging by some of the comments on here ..it's worked
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    And would you have know about it if it wasn't for the scum printing it??? They are manipulating our emotions... And judging by some of the comments on here ..it's worked

Yes, absolutely.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it wrong to expect an adult to take responsibility for their actions when they are so idiotic?

But by saying "I don't think she's made a mistake at all", does that not imply that you think she did this deliberately and with malice ?

Believe me, I fully support people taking responsibility for their own actions. The culture of blame in this country is almost as bad as the US where it's invariably always someone else's fault.

I do, however, think the malice in this particular issue has come from The Sun and not Helen Flanagan.
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member

Agreed. she was pretty foolish to tweet the picture again on Monday, but The Sun was worse for using it how they have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But by saying "I don't think she's made a mistake at all", does that not imply that you think she did this deliberately and with malice ?

Believe me, I fully support people taking responsibility for their own actions. The culture of blame in this country is almost as bad as the US where it's invariably always someone else's fault.

I do, however, think the malice in this particular issue has come from The Sun and not Helen Flanagan.

I think any sensible person would see through what the Sun is trying to do but even if HF didn't intend malice she still comes across as one of the most thoughtless and insensitive idiots ever and should be made aware of her stupidity. Obviously a catbox liner like the Sun is not an outlet which has any right to take moral highground over anything, but if a few people on the internet have a go at morons like HF maybe it might make anyone else think twice in the future. At least, I can dream.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I agree that she was incredibly insensitive to re-post this old picture. It's an extremely tasteless photo anyway, but she should have known the feelings it would evoke and being hungover is no excuse.

However, I also think it has been incredibly poor judgement of the media to report her stupidity. I don't follow Helen on twitter, so I'd never have seen the image otherwise. It was also awful of the Sun to traipse the image over to Newtown to show parents - and for what? A shock headline and a sense of moral outrage. Those poor people have suffered enough, without being hounded for comment on a non entity.

Poor judgement by all involved.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with Prumeister, these kind of photos should be stopped.

.. along with prank calls etc, etc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The pictures are completely unrelated to what happened.

Im shocked people care. The Sun really must have had a no news day. Or rather they are still milking the story for everything they can get.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummyloup wrote: »

However, I also think it has been incredibly poor judgement of the media to report her stupidity.

I'll be the first to agree with that. The way the media are behaving over the Newtown tragedy in general is appalling and disturbing, from the way they are speaking about mental illness to something like this. I can't understand why the press aren't more tightly regulated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm no fan of Helen Flanagan and do think she was stupid to re post picture but let's get real here the scum have obviously trawled celeb twitter accounts looking for their sensationalist headline ... What if it had been your picture they used? It's the scum... I expect nothing less ... Also I do NOT believe they have shown this picture to anyone in America as who would know who she is?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also I do NOT believe they have shown this picture to anyone in America as who would know who she is?

It wouldn't matter. All they would have had to have done is say "A celebrity in England has posted this picture online - what do you think ?".
    I think any sensible person would see through what the Sun is trying to do but even if HF didn't intend malice she still comes across as one of the most thoughtless and insensitive idiots ever and should be made aware of her stupidity. Obviously a catbox liner like the Sun is not an outlet which has any right to take moral highground over anything, but if a few people on the internet have a go at morons like HF maybe it might make anyone else think twice in the future. At least, I can dream.

I have to agree. If her parents are as bad as people say, I guess it's likely they're even now telling her it's not her fault and she did nothing wrong. Here's hoping she does learn from it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have to agree. If her parents are as bad as people say, I guess it's likely they're even now telling her it's not her fault and she did nothing wrong. Here's hoping she does learn from it.

I don't know anything about her parents but it wouldn't surprise me if they are rubbish ones.

Is it me or are the British press getting worse and worse in their behaviour each year? Their coverage of the death of Kate Middleton's hospital nurse has also been incredibly disturbing. Why aren't they reigned in more?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wouldn't matter. All they would have had to have done is say "A celebrity in England has posted this picture online - what do you think ?".

It does matter... IF they did show this picture to the people in America firstly WHY?
    Secondly ..how bloody insensitive of them to do so at this time.
    They have printed this for a reaction and headline and no other reason. Where is the pictures of Madonna ( who they would of known) all over the front page with a gun? I will tell you why they didn't print hers... Cos she would sue the arse off them .. They are hoping Helen will do nothing cos she isn't so rich.
  • robertaloud30robertaloud30 Posts: 3,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aggielane wrote: »
    Its not a new photo and why the hell did our newspapers think it was appropriate to fly all the way to USA to show grieving families the photo?

Did they really do this? Disgusting
  • aggielaneaggielane Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Did they really do this? Disgusting

A quote from the story in the Sun
    Shocked parents in Newtown, Connecticut, where Adam Lanza shot dead 20 children and six school staff, yesterday accused Helen of “brainless stupidity”.
    One angry dad, speaking at a shrine to the victims, said: “It’s just ignorant. When the eyes of the world are on what happened here, to be posing with a gun like that is insensitive and stupid.”
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There Scum the Sun enough said. Feel for Helen.
  • UrMyStarUrMyStar Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The picture wasn't posted as a single picture, it was part of a series of 3. This is the actual imagine that she tweeted

http://pics.lockerz.com/s/269737497

Not that it makes it any better, but the Sun seem to bring it across that she posted that image on it's own in a direct reference. Still a stupid thing for her to do though.
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Job done Helen. Front page news!
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »

Must admit, that was my first thought.

Stupid, vain, vacuous, talentless woman ..... and she still gets the headlines. What a mad world we live in.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's apologized she can't do any more than that, so she posted a picture of her with a gun to her head, it's not like she is pointing a gun at someone else which is what the shootings involved, why make the connection? Just because of the gun? The Sun hates Helen because she didn't give them the interview when she left the jungle, simple as that, so well done to everyone who jumped on the bandwagon slating her on Twitter and internet forums, you played right into their hands.

You can buy t-shirts of Marilyn Monroe holdling guns and as Helen said these photos were taken to emulate her idol, who is Marilyn Monroe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Shocked parents in Newtown, Connecticut, where Adam Lanza shot dead 20 children and six school staff, yesterday accused Helen of “brainless stupidity”.

One angry dad, speaking at a shrine to the victims, said: “It’s just ignorant. When the eyes of the world are on what happened here, to be posing with a gun like that is insensitive and stupid.”

This sounds like total nonsense, unless they were specifically asked about the pictures. How would they know who she was?
    It was still a very stupid insensitive thing to do.

It's also highly insensitive of paps to stick pics of attention seeking zelebs under the noses of grieving people, just to get a reason to connect the two things. But then, we're talking about the people who grilled primary school age kids on live TV about what they saw and how it affected them. Everything to do with the media is getting more disgusting.

And Helen Flanagan is a stupid girl who is trying to be 'Terry Richardson' edgy. It's not going to work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »

Yep, just far too convenient.