Gaming Trilogies...Are they better than film trilogies?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In film trilogies, most of the time the third film is seen as a let down after the first two, though there is the odd exception

Can the same be said about gaming trilogies or do they avoid the curse and actually have all three be amazing?

Stuff like God of War, Uncharted, Gears of War, mass effect and other trilogies, do they pass the trilogy test or is one of them a let down

Comments

• Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    To me, not really, suffer the same way, Uncharted 3 felt like a step down after Uncharted 2, story seemed a bit rushed and not as well thought out. Gears of War 3 just didn't feel as epic as Gears of War 2, the retcons to the story, etc, made it feel a bit out of place though I did like Walter White suddenly becoming Marcus's father! :p

Mass Effect I can't really comment on, but let's say everyone knows about THAT ending but from what i hear up til that last hour or two the game is still very good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    UC3 is good, but UC2 was special
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    I love the rachett and clank series. Not sure how many have been released to date. Absolutely love everyone of them!
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Minnimo wrote: »
    I love the rachett and clank series. Not sure how many have been released to date. Absolutely love everyone of them!

There's a few but there was a trilogy of games - Future Trilogy: Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty and A Crank in Time. I loved the first one but the two that followed disappointed.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    To me, not really, suffer the same way, Uncharted 3 felt like a step down after Uncharted 2, story seemed a bit rushed and not as well thought out. Gears of War 3 just didn't feel as epic as Gears of War 2, the retcons to the story, etc, made it feel a bit out of place though I did like Walter White suddenly becoming Marcus's father! :p

Mass Effect I can't really comment on, but let's say everyone knows about THAT ending but from what i hear up til that last hour or two the game is still very good.

I never played the original ending on ME3. But didn't have a problem with the updated version. For me, ME2 was the weaker link in the Shepard trilogy. (when I say weaker, I don't mean shit, I just mean not quite as good as 1 or 3)
    Patiently waiting for 4... only another 2 years or so.
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never played the original ending on ME3. But didn't have a problem with the updated version. For me, ME2 was the weaker link in the Shepard trilogy. (when I say weaker, I don't mean shit, I just mean not quite as good as 1 or 3)
    Patiently waiting for 4... only another 2 years or so.

:eek:

Wow.
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got Mass Effect 3 from Playstation Plus and it's a terrible game, can't believe how that series was so hyped. The animation is laughably bad and the combat very average. Meh.

Just as it does with movies, it all depends on the franchise. Uncharted 3 was a definite step down from 2, as was Gears of War 3. On the other hand, I'd say that God Of War III was the best game in that franchise and GOW I-III is probably the best example of a gaming trilogy done to perfection.