Hebburn (BBC2)

Comments

• Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    I liked the pub singer (I quite fancied him when he appeared in the updated Crossroads), and he's probably very true to life in terms of the typical pub singer.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    The actress that plays the grandma - This annoying me - cannot place her - what has she been in ??
    Why not look her up on IMDB?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liked it mostly, loved the desperate ex-boyfriend's faux pas at the end. But in the long term, won't it stand or fall by the story of the son and daughter-in-law? If we don't start cheering for them like we took to G&S, Hebburn will just be a "nice try" footnote.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    The actress that plays the grandma - This annoying me - cannot place her - what has she been in ??

Pat Dunn
    she`s been on coronation street Dez Barns mum
    also did the bill , was in emmerdale done a few British films to
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,402
    Forum Member
    leeruk wrote: »
    Pat Dunn
    she`s been on coronation street Dez Barns mum
    also did the bill , was in emmerdale done a few British films to

Thanks guys - I did look her up on IMDB, but I am sure she has done something else they didn't list.

I was sure she did a Jonathon Creek, but the one i am thinking of it was Dinah Sheridan in the one about the elderly woman staying with a TV producer, and he shifts her day by 12 hours to give him an alibi.

She does look and sound a bit like Dinah Sheridan so maybe I am confusing myself.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    tonydancer wrote: »
    Liked it mostly, loved the desperate ex-boyfriend's faux pas at the end. But in the long term, won't it stand or fall by the story of the son and daughter-in-law? If we don't start cheering for them like we took to G&S, Hebburn will just be a "nice try" footnote.

Speak for yourself, I don't have to 'cheer for' or like characters to find them amusing and worth watching again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    same production company to baby cow have to admit I didnt get Gavin and Stacy .
  • tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thought it was rubbish & struggled watching it to the end. don't think i'll bother with it again.

which scenes made people laugh, am a bit curious?
  • UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really didn't find it funny :/
  • Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,757
    Forum Member
    thought it was rubbish & struggled watching it to the end. don't think i'll bother with it again.

which scenes made people laugh, am a bit curious?

Err, the bits with the club singer, especially at the end when he started up with The Cutting Crew song, and Vic/Jim's character said 'Howay man, not now'. Sarah's obvious discomfort at being dragged into the toilet by Jack's sister. Them all wanting to get drinks in before the police arrived.
  • lozzerbozzerlozzerbozzer Posts: 5,026
    Forum Member
    Caught this by accident last night and LOVED it...really made me laugh, especially the homemade bread roll bagels and the adjourning to the lounge :D.
    Will definitely be tuning in on Thursday, can't wait :).
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    ............I thought some of the humour might have been missed on someone not from the North East area....................

I'm from the north east (in fact, just got back early this morning from a visit to relatives up there) and I'm in two minds about it. In particular, I don't enjoy jokes about lavatories.

There were a few nice lines, but they probably felt a bit lonely. So I'll give it one more try this week.

When society has to go to the lavatory for its humour, the writing is on the wall - Alan Bennett.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    When society has to go to the lavatory for its humour, the writing is on the wall - Alan Bennett.

There is often writing on the lavatory wall in Pubs:D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    I'm from the north east (in fact, just got back early this morning from a visit to relatives up there) and I'm in two minds about it. In particular, I don't enjoy jokes about lavatories.

There were a few nice lines, but they probably felt a bit lonely. So I'll give it one more try this week.

Society has been going to the lavatory for it's humour before there was writing, so he's a bit late on that score IMO.
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    There is often writing on the lavatory wall in Pubs:D:D:D:D:D

I nearly copped off with a Woman who was on toilet walls, for her 2 notable features :)
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm originally from the NE and my wife is from the south so I've had many similar incidents to the couple in 'Hebburn'. My other half was shocked that NE women really do go 'eeeeeeee' all the time, and when my mam heard I was bringing a lass from the south to tea she shrieked down the phone 'eeeeeeee I'll have to get some crinkle-cut chips in to impress her!"

So, all in all, I liked Hebburn, quite true to life I thought.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm originally from the NE and my wife is from the south so I've had many similar incidents to the couple in 'Hebburn'. My other half was shocked that NE women really do go 'eeeeeeee' all the time, and when my mam heard I was bringing a lass from the south to tea she shrieked down the phone 'eeeeeeee I'll have to get some crinkle-cut chips in to impress her!"

hahaha yeah 'eeeee' is a thing you hear quite a bit
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Eeeeeeee, so we do, like, pet. :D

I started a thread on this last week but it died a death, I see.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this first episode; eeeee I did, an' all.

I am supposed to be like Gina McKee, so people keep telling me. :D I didn't realise she was born in Sunderland. Then I heard her say "byuk" instead of "book" and thought "Ah! A Wearside twang".

Looking forward to this week's episode. :)
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Found it a bit cliche but at other times it was mildly amusing. It looks like something that I'd happily watch if it's on, but won't go out of my way to make sure I see every episode.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Thought that the Croydon Facelift aged her quite a bit.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D:D

I thought it was hilarious too.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    Just caught the end of it. Very funny. Similar to Shameless but instead wholesome viewing ;)

Thought that the house looked too middleclass to be the home of a northern working class family.

:eek: What on earth have you based this opinion on?
    tinopuss wrote: »
    I was born and brought up in Hebburn and the house used is very typical of the area. Guessing it may not fit into some southerners ideas of what northern working class housing should look like but that probably shows more about their stereotypical views of the 'grim north' than the reality.

Thought the show showed promise and loved seeing 'the sights'.

Well said.
    BigBmad wrote: »
    hahaha yeah 'eeeee' is a thing you hear quite a bit

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it is like :D

Just got round to watching it now, and it wasn't a bad first episode. It had a few laugh out loud moments (bagels, 'circumvented' 'Sheila's dead! We've got seven minutes to get another round in before the police turn up!' 'I just died in your arms tonight' from the singer :D) and a few cliches but I'll definitely give it another go :)
    Forum Member
    lotty27 wrote: »
    :eek: What on earth have you based this opinion on?

Don't start that again, load of (very mild IMO) posts got pruned when the FM was chased up a tree over that comment.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Seconded.
    Ohh she's quite hatchet faced in the program.