The British war films thread

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Been enjoying The Dambusters again on Channel 5 today and I think it's time a thread was set up for classic British war films as these always seemed more realistic than American ones and were mostly based on true events.
My favourites would be Reach for the Sky, The Dambusters, Odette, The Battle of Britain, Went The Day Well and A Bridge Too Far.

Comments

• hallchallc Posts: 199,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just watched The Dambusters, trying to watch The Eagle Has Landed but the sound is awful
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Took me a long time to finally watch the Dambusters. Saw it about January? Glad I di as it was a great film.

Zulu of course is another great war movie.
    And The Bridge Over the River Kwai. Man that was a good movie.

I haven't seen The Sea Wolves or Lawrence of Arabia but I keep meaning to.
  • Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Wooden Horse. :)
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    I love a good old war film, The Longest Day, 633 squadron,Sink the Bismark, A Bridge to Far....they don't make them like that anymore!
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I love the Dambusters, never miss it when its on the telly. It's got to have one of the greatest themes of all time. I remember when I was at an airshow and the Lancaster did a flypast. I couldn't help humming the theme from the movie... then I realised I wasn't the only one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was my first introduction to the Dambusters.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    This was my first introduction to the Dambusters.

I first saw it in the seventies when it was on BBC One on a Sunday afternoon. I've seen The Dambusters fifteen times.
    Another good one if you like RAF based war films is The Battle of Britain, the dogfights are excellent.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you enjoyed The Dam Busters, you might also enjoy the tv series Danger UXB (1979). It also details the techniques and technology used, but in this case it's (unexploded) German bombs that have to be dealt with. It does have a naff romantic plot tacked on, but that doesn't get much screen time. I've watched it all the way through several times, and I highly recommend it.

I would also venture into tv land for other British war recommendations....

Bravo Two Zero
    Sharpe
    Hornblower
    Colditz (The early '70s series)
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is Hope And Glory its normally on one of the Sky Movie Channels
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is Hope And Glory its normally on one of the Sky Movie Channels

I was an extra in that. Sadly was on the train during the mass children scene.
  • yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Charge of the Light Brigade (1968)
    The Sea shall not have them
    The Cruel Sea
    The Colditz Story
    Play Dirty
    The One that got away (does this count as it was about a German?)
    The Wild Geese (Silly but good fun)
    In Which we Serve
  • The_SmegThe_Smeg Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    all quiet on the western front
    Battle of Britain
    The McKenzie Break
    Tora! Tora! Tora!
    just to name a few
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    It's a fascinating film genre that has given me a lot of pleasure over the years despite a dodgy start. I remember going to see The Battle of Britain when I was about 8 and being scared shitless when the Luftwaffe gunner got shot in the eyes. I could hardly open my eyes for the rest of the film.:eek: Obviously I've been thoroughly desensitised since and it's now one of my favourite war films.

The Dambusters is a great film. Essentially a 2-parter with the boffin bit first and then the heroic flying conclusion. A stunning example of British ingenuity and daring. Of course the special effects look rubbish compared to what can be done now but the essential humanity of the film shines through. Blimmin' excellent soundtrack as well.:D

When I look in my DVD war drawer (tell me I'm not the only one who has one) I actually have only a few British war films; The Battle of Britain, In Which We Serve and The Dambusters, in fact. I should probably have Ice Cold in Alex and A Bridge Too Far as well.

I used to love 633 Squadron, even if it is pretty rubbish when looked at objectively.

For a maritime nation, it's a shame that we've never done the definitive submarine film. Das Boot is still my favourite war film, by far.

I wonder if British film-makers will ever have a shot at dramatising more recent conflicts. Apart from Tumbledown, we seem to have completely ignored post-war conflict, despite British armed forces having been operational pretty much every year since 1945. Some of the stories emerging from the current Afghan campaign would make for fantastic film-making.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Operation Daybreak is worth a mention - Channel 5 (?) had this on a few months back. It was film which I wasn't particularly interested in seeing but for want of anything better on gave it a go, it starts a bit awkwardly but picks up as it goes. The final 30 as the Germans trap their prey is gripping and in the end (unexpectedly) quite emotional.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Bickle, there are a couple of (admittedly made for tv) post-WW2 British armed forces films that I would recommend:-

Already mentioned Bravo Two Zero.

An Ungentlemanly Act, which portrays the doomed defence of the Falkland Islands against the Argentinian invasion force, and is well worth watching.

The only really good cinema release movie I've seen that concerns our navy is Master and Commander:The Far Side of the World. Not keen on the likes of The Battle of the River Plate, Above Us The Waves, The Cruel Sea etc.

Also, one personal favourite WW2 movie that hasn't been mentioned yet.......... Sea Of Sand.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good war film, this time from WW1, is The Blue Max.
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Logan Five wrote: »
    The Wooden Horse. :)

That is quite a good film, maybe it was overshadowed by the more famous escape stories.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone got The Dam Busters on Blu-ray? If so, is it much of an improvement in picture quality over the 2003 DVD release? Cheers.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    yorkieUK wrote: »
    The One that got away (does this count as it was about a German?)

I think it counts. It's a good POW escape film whoever it's about.

One that's worth watching is 'The Password Is Courage'. It's not brilliant, and it's accuracy has been very widely questioned, but it's the other film featuring 'The Great Escape'.
    Forum Member
    Mr Bickle, there are a couple of (admittedly made for tv) post-WW2 British armed forces films that I would recommend:-

Already mentioned Bravo Two Zero.

An Ungentlemanly Act, which portrays the doomed defence of the Falkland Islands against the Argentinian invasion force, and is well worth watching.

The only really good cinema release movie I've seen that concerns our navy is Master and Commander:The Far Side of the World. Not keen on the likes of The Battle of the River Plate, Above Us The Waves, The Cruel Sea etc.

Also, one personal favourite WW2 movie that hasn't been mentioned yet.......... Sea Of Sand.

Well, you kinda make my point for me. Bravo Two Zero was TV dross based on McNab's fantasy of what happened and was largely a propaganda exercise to cover up the spectacular failure of the SAS on that occasion. I haven't heard of the second item you mention. The fact is that there are plenty of (true) dramatic stories to tell about British forces in action but film-makers aren't interested because it doesn't fit their narrative.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like Bravo Two Zero. Each to their own.
    Forum Member
    I really like Bravo Two Zero. Each to their own.

Sorry, I'm not having a go at you but 'McNab's memoirs really are works of fiction.:D
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Ice Cold in Alex
    Dunkirk

Some of Johnny Mills' best.
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved 633 squadron. Dated nowadays but for it's time it was brilliant.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of my favourites are:

The Battle of Britain
    The Eagle Has Landed
    Zulu
    The Wild Geese
    A Bridge Too Far
    633 Squadron
    Mosquito Squadron
    The Longest Day
    The First Of The Few (set before WW2 but about the development of the finest fighter plane ever - The Spitfire)
    The Bridge At Remagen
    The Guns Of Navarone
    The Great Escape