Apple getting desperate

Comments

• swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Thought you were buying the other game changing z10 a while back?
  • tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

If not have you used MS office on OSX? Its meant to be just as shite.

I think you're living in the past there. Office 11 is actually very usable on the Mac, no different to using it on Windows. I always used to run Office on a Mac via a Windows virtual machine until V11.
    Forum Member
    swordman wrote: »
    You've come a long way since the dark side had you :D

I still have a house full of Macs, 4 iPads, 3 iPhones, Apple TV and even an iPod HiFi :)
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    If it were one or two people, perhaps. we've got a pretty decent list given that we only have, what, a dozen or so posters coming to the thread?

I exclude myself, as I only rarely have itunes installed, normally just to grab a podcast only available on itunes, before uninstalling iTunes. And Bonjour. and apple software update. and all the other bits and pieces.

To be fair, most of those comments are a bit vague.

One post recently described having two options of "auto sync" and "manually manage" as "cryptic".

I don't know about you, but I don't think there's anything cryptic about it.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    One post recently described having two options of "auto sync" and "manually manage" as "cryptic".

I don't know about you, but I don't think there's anything cryptic about it.

I've never head to sync anything on itunes, but I've heard my share of stories from friends having music or files getting wiped unexpectedly when syncing with itunes. For whatever reason, its not as intuitive as it could be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've used iTunes for many years now, first with an iPod classic, then with an iPhone 3GS, and later an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5.

First thing to remember is that iTunes isn't just a way of transferring content to portable devices. It's a media player in its own right. I get most of my music through iTunes now, but in the early days I imported much of my library from CDs. Obviously, iTunes does this and it also integrates the store so that music can be purchased directly from within the program. It's decent to use but previous versions have been pretty sluggish, it has to be said.

When it comes to syncing stuff to an iPhone or other device, there are in fact quite a lot of options to choose from. With music, you can have your whole library copied, or just selected artists and playlists. Then there are separate options for podcasts, TV shows, films etc. So, for example, you can set it to keep all episodes of podcasts, or only unplayed ones. If you set it to keep unplayed episodes, the played episodes will be removed from the device (but not from iTunes) next time you sync. It can be pretty good for freeing up space and not cluttering up your iPhone with things that you don't want there permanently. It also syncs both ways, so content you purchase directly on your device will be synced to desktop iTunes. (This can also be done through the automatic downloads process, so you don't have to connect the device at all.)

That said, iTunes is designed to sync all or part of a single library with a device or devices. If you use iTunes in this way, you probably won't run into too many problems or find it wanting to delete all your stuff. It doesn't like it if you try to add something from another library, because its purpose is to sync stuff. If you plug it into a different computer, it'll think you want to associate the device with the new library, and to do that it wants to wipe the old library from the device and start again. To be fair, it's not going to be able to synchronise from different sources in this way.

If people don't want to use iTunes to automate the process, there are options for 'manually manage music' and there's also an option in iTunes to stop connected devices from syncing automatically. I agree that some of the warning messages could be much clearer, as sometimes it's not easy to tell what's going to happen.

One of the major problems seems to be when people get a new computer, and expect to be able to plug in their iPhone and for it to synchronise as before. But iTunes will only import music from the phone if it was purchased through iTunes. Anything else will be deleted because the new library is being synced, and the new library doesn't contain that music. It would be good and less hassle if the iPhone could import its export contents to iTunes, because generally people don't seem to understand that they need to move their music over from the old computer to the new one.

Anyway, I've never had any major problems, but I can see how and why they arise.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because you said:

Nuff said :D

So the only court cases involving google and samsung have been against apple. I didn't realise that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont have to read manuals for any software in general. Especially consumer stuff. I cant remember the last time i read a manual for a consumer product.

The closest to consumer is googling excel functions to do my home finances.

Never how to copy a music track or file to my phone, to take home or to work.

The first time I put music on my android phone, I had to connect the phone, open the SD memory card, create a new folder (the location and name of which is very specific., copy the music, download a music app and create my playlist. Strangle I didn't manage that without having to ask on here or read how to do it on forums.

Of course, if you read this thread you would get the impression that you connect the phone and just drag files to it and the phone would sort out all the file management. They doesn't work on mine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I've never head to sync anything on itunes, but I've heard my share of stories from friends having music or files getting wiped unexpectedly when syncing with itunes. For whatever reason, its not as intuitive as it could be.

It's always seemed fairly intuitive to me. All you do is let it sync everything, or when a device is connected you can specify what content gets synced, for example playlists of music, albums of photos. Given the success of the iPod / iTunes over the years, I'm sure it can't be me who is in a minority who has found that very straightforward.

That that has happened to people doesn't in itself say anything about iTunes, without knowing what those people did when they lost stuff.

Are we to just assume that it was the fault of iTunes, and not down to people not realising how iTunes is set up to work? For example connecting a device to a different computer running iTunes.

Or, if something has gone wrong for whatever reason, that could just be plain old bad luck, rather than the process be unintuitive per se.
  • The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iTunes isn't difficult to use, it's just a vile piece of software
  • Trevor_MaloneTrevor_Malone Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    iTunes isn't difficult to use, it's just a vile piece of software

So it's easy to use and does what it's designed to, can't be that bad eh:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suspect a lot of the people who dislike it are more likely to be power users who want it to do particular things, or work in a particular way. If it doesn't, fair enough, its not for them.

But I'm not sure that's the same as it being crap. At least, not in much of an objective sense.
    Forum Member
    So it's easy to use and does what it's designed to, can't be that bad eh:rolleyes:

Saying it's not difficult to use is not quite the same as saying it's easy to use.
    I think actually what's going on here is that the vast majority of iPhone users don't ever go anywhere near iTunes - certainly I know from my family and friends most of them will download music directly to the phone and never actually connect to a computer for syncing. So, I think it tends to be mainly power users who actually use iTunes, hence the bad press.

I did the update to IOS 6.1.4 last week (a bit belated cos I was away abroad) and for some reason only known to itself iTunes decided I had to do a full restore of all my apps and media files (it doesn't normally do that). My phone was tied up unusable for 8 hours and I'm still coming across issues it caused (such as podcasts and audiobooks that haven't remembered the position I was up to). However, what made matters worse was it wasn't absolutely clear to me until I had passed the point of no return that that was going to happen.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    ...and for some reason only known to itself iTunes decided I had to do a full restore of all my apps and media files
    Was your phone full?

Obviously an enlarged update would need a good bit of space to act, maybe even making the decisions to delete synced stuff to complete.
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Was your phone full?

Obviously an enlarged update would need a good bit of space to act, maybe even making the decisions to delete synced stuff to complete.

No, it's 64Gb with 20 free
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I did the update to IOS 6.1.4 last week (a bit belated cos I was away abroad) and for some reason only known to itself iTunes decided I had to do a full restore of all my apps and media files (it doesn't normally do that). My phone was tied up unusable for 8 hours and I'm still coming across issues it caused (such as podcasts and audiobooks that haven't remembered the position I was up to). However, what made matters worse was it wasn't absolutely clear to me until I had passed the point of no return that that was going to happen.

Its not just me that had update fails then.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I tried to update to 6.1.4 through iTunes the download was almost 500mb? But updating over the air the download was like 12mb. Weird...
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Just seen that new ad on telly there on Sky one for the iphone camera touting more pics are taken with the iphone. Than what? Surely a load of absolute nonsense?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Just seen that new ad on telly there on Sly one for the iphone camera touting more pics are taken with the iphone. Than what? Surely a load of absolute nonsense?

Report it to the asa and see how you get on.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Why are people still using iTunes to update their iPhone?
    Its so much more hassle free to do it by doing a quick backup to iCloud and then selecting Software Update within the general settings.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    Why are people still using iTunes to update their iPhone?
    Its so much more hassle free to do it by doing a quick backup to iCloud and then selecting Software Update within the general settings.

Because I plugged it in to put some stuff on the phone and the notification automatically popped up. :)
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Report it to the asa and see how you get on.

I'm wondering more than what though?

The iphone is a band, surely the iphone cant have taken more pics than say the entire range of Nikon or Samsung for example cameras?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm wondering more than what though?

The iphone is a band, surely the iphone cant have taken more pics than say the entire range of Nikon or Samsung for example cameras?

I understand (I think from on here) that they are basing it on the number of phones uploaded to the most popular photo site (Flickr).
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen that new ad on telly there on Sky one for the iphone camera touting more pics are taken with the iphone. Than what? Surely a load of absolute nonsense?

I seem to remember a report about Flickr a year or so back which said that more photos on Flickr were taken with an iPhone than with any other camera, including DSLRs, compacts, etc. In that respect it would make it the most popular "camera". I don't think it's a great bit of advertising though.
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    I understand (I think from on here) that they are basing it on the number of phones uploaded to the most popular photo site (Flickr).
    I seem to remember a report about Flickr a year or so back which said that more photos on Flickr were taken with an iPhone than with any other camera, including DSLRs, compacts, etc. In that respect it would make it the most popular "camera". I don't think it's a great bit of advertising though.

Ah, so selective then and not even remotely true!

Well true for one site. They should maybe state that then i think.