Pokemon X & Y October 2013

Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OMG, Pokemon in 3D! I can't wait!

Sold my 3DS not long after I got one at launch but this will have me picking up a new 3DS along with the game.

Worldwide launch (yes you read that correct :D) October 2013.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/01/08/pokemon-x-and-y-coming-in-october

Comments

• Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drooled a little bit when i saw the player on skates...
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The starters look awful. Hopefully their final evolutions will be better so I know which one to pick. Other than that the gameplay looks brilliant. I'm glad they kept the 2D sprites and didn't go to full 3D whilst still making full use of the 3DS's capabilities.

Can't wait to see all the new Pokémon. Hopefully there'll be some brilliant ones.

On a side note, does anyone think the games' mascots will have anything to do with dimensions- just like the x and y axes on a graph (up and down, side-to-side)? It sounds a bit mundane and boring for a Pokémon game, but who knows? You could also have a 3rd version (Pokémon Z) as on a graph there is sometimes a z axis.

Anyway, I will ignore all the "Pokémon sucks now" people and buy this game as soon as it's released. :)
  • vagbreathvagbreath Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SO excited for this. Proper chuft it's a worldwide launch too and we don't have to wait months for an english copy.
  • vagbreathvagbreath Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait actually does this mean I'm going to have to buy a 3DS? :<
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    The fire starter looks quite good IMO :) Those graphics/animations look really nice.
  • PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The starters look awful. Hopefully their final evolutions will be better so I know which one to pick. Other than that the gameplay looks brilliant. I'm glad they kept the 2D sprites and didn't go to full 3D whilst still making full use of the 3DS's capabilities.

Can't wait to see all the new Pokémon. Hopefully there'll be some brilliant ones.

On a side note, does anyone think the games' mascots will have anything to do with dimensions- just like the x and y axes on a graph (up and down, side-to-side)? It sounds a bit mundane and boring for a Pokémon game, but who knows? You could also have a 3rd version (Pokémon Z) as on a graph there is sometimes a z axis.

Anyway, I will ignore all the "Pokémon sucks now" people and buy this game as soon as it's released. :)

The sprites AREN'T 2D, they are indeed 3D. They're done with the 3D models that have an animation (as in, drawing) on them, as seen in Futurama and Family Guy. So they are 3D, but they won't be composed of a 3D image; just a model with a drawing slapped on. They still look great though and far superior to an all out 3D model; I much prefer them this way as they retain their original charm.

And the X and Y are being speculated as representing Chromosones and DNA; not least because the Japanese logo for the games actually features a DNA helix.

I actually quite like the starters; Fennekin was an instant hit, Chespin I wasn't too thrilled with but it has really grown on me, whereas Froakie, I hated to begin with, but it's not so bad now. I just hope the rest of the 'mons in this gen follow suit with the simple designs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And on a graph that has a Z-axis, of course, X is width, Y is height, and Z is depth. The Z-axis, then, represents the third dimension. At the same time as they release the first generation to be in full 3D. Exclusive to the 3DS. No way is that accidental - I'd say you're bang on the money!
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Mega hyped for this, finally, the pokemon franchise 'evolves' :p
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piipp wrote: »
    The sprites AREN'T 2D, they are indeed 3D. They're done with the 3D models that have an animation (as in, drawing) on them, as seen in Futurama and Family Guy. So they are 3D, but they won't be composed of a 3D image; just a model with a drawing slapped on. They still look great though and far superior to an all out 3D model; I much prefer them this way as they retain their original charm.

I still like the way they haven't gone for the full 3D models like in Battle Revolution or Pokédex 3D etc.
    And the X and Y are being speculated as representing Chromosones and DNA; not least because the Japanese logo for the games actually features a DNA helix.

The chromosome idea did just cross my mind a while later, and to be fair it probably does make more sense. Didn't know about the double helix in the Japanese logo though.
    Genetics and gender probably will be far more interesting themes than dimensions on a cartesian plane. :D
    rwebster wrote: »
    And on a graph that has a Z-axis, of course, X is width, Y is height, and Z is depth. The Z-axis, then, represents the third dimension. At the same time as they release the first generation to be in full 3D. Exclusive to the 3DS. No way is that accidental - I'd say you're bang on the money!

Yes, I know about the z-axis.
    Chromosomes probably are a more likely theme if I think about it, but there is no Z chromosome so I don't know what they'd do for a third version. Maybe they will just make a "Pokémon Z" anyway or maybe they'll go down the "Pokémon X2 and Y2" route again.
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the new region is based on Europe or Paris in the way Unova was based on New York. The graphics are a stepup from previous games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I know about the z-axis.
    Chromosomes probably are a more likely theme if I think about it, but there is no Z chromosome so I don't know what they'd do for a third version. Maybe they will just make a "Pokémon Z" anyway or maybe they'll go down the "Pokémon X2 and Y2" route again.

Wouldn't disregard the axes thing so quickly. Another point in its favour - X is across, and Y is up.

The X legendary is a land mammal, crosses land horizontally, and the Y legendary is a bird, most notable for travelling vertically. We've got a horizontal creature with Xes all over it, and a vertical creature in the shape of a Y.

Doesn't mean there can't be a chromosome thing going on as well, but I'd be incredibly surprised if the dimensions thing was a coincidence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Can't wait for this, I am actually still playing on the very first DS that came out, the one before the Lite but with this coming out I will have to upgrade. Pokemon is my favourite franchise of games, I got White 2 for Christmas so I am currently playing that.
  • WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel that this game should be out already. October is too long to wait for a Pokemon game for the 3DS only.

I'm going to get Y. Chespin seems like the only decent starter Pokemon for me, although I prefer fire types, Fennekin is nowhere near as cool as Tepig.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the legendary Pokemon are based on Norse Mythology as opposed to anything else that's been speculated.

http://www.kimikogaming.net/pokemon-x-and-y-yggdrasil-myth-points-towards-pokemon-z-and-a-legendary-dragon/

VERY interesting read that. It's not unusual; all other Pokemon games have legendary Pokemon/stories based on real myths and legends so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that X and Y will be based on this mythology.

As for the starters, I only like Fennekin at first but Chespin has really grown on me to the point that I *might* just pick it (dependent on it's evolutions and possible dual typing later on). If speculation proves correct however and Fennekin obtains a dual fire-psychic typing as it evolves then I'll definitely be going with him; fire starters are my favourite anyway.

Have to say, I'm incredibly excited for this game. Unova was a very boring region for me; it full dull, uninspired and not very big. When I say not very big, I know that in terms of size it was, but I think it's more to do with how linear it was; it just felt quite empty and lifeless and didn't have the same charm as regions such as Johto and Sinnoh. Hopefully the new region will feel a lot more alive and full of life.
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like the legendary Pokemon are based on Norse Mythology as opposed to anything else that's been speculated.

http://www.kimikogaming.net/pokemon-x-and-y-yggdrasil-myth-points-towards-pokemon-z-and-a-legendary-dragon/

VERY interesting read that. It's not unusual; all other Pokemon games have legendary Pokemon/stories based on real myths and legends so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that X and Y will be based on this mythology.

As for the starters, I only like Fennekin at first but Chespin has really grown on me to the point that I *might* just pick it (dependent on it's evolutions and possible dual typing later on). If speculation proves correct however and Fennekin obtains a dual fire-psychic typing as it evolves then I'll definitely be going with him; fire starters are my favourite anyway.

Have to say, I'm incredibly excited for this game. Unova was a very boring region for me; it full dull, uninspired and not very big. When I say not very big, I know that in terms of size it was, but I think it's more to do with how linear it was; it just felt quite empty and lifeless and didn't have the same charm as regions such as Johto and Sinnoh. Hopefully the new region will feel a lot more alive and full of life.

I must admit my first instinct is to go with the fire type but I always want to see the end evolutions before making a final choice because that's the sprite I'll be stuck with.

Any images of those doing the rounds yet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit my first instinct is to go with the fire type but I always want to see the end evolutions before making a final choice because that's the sprite I'll be stuck with.

Any images of those doing the rounds yet?

Not yet and the next issue of Coro Coro isn't out for a few more weeks so we probably won't get anything until then. GF is always quite slow when dishing out early information on a new Pokemon generation but as we have a ten month wait this time I think the information will be an even slower trickle than it would normally be. With that said, I think we should anticipate some info in a few weeks, what with the next Coro Coro and I would imagine that in a few months time we'll have quite a stead flow of info coming in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not yet and the next issue of Coro Coro isn't out for a few more weeks so we probably won't get anything until then. GF is always quite slow when dishing out early information on a new Pokemon generation but as we have a ten month wait this time I think the information will be an even slower trickle than it would normally be. With that said, I think we should anticipate some info in a few weeks, what with the next Coro Coro and I would imagine that in a few months time we'll have quite a stead flow of info coming in.

Ah, ta very much:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corocoro has leaked revealing a new Eeveelution! Check out serebii.net for more info! (You might have to scroll down a bit) It's nothing incredibly special and I would expect much more in March to really get the excitement for this game going. Doubt we'll get much of the game itself yet though, just the new 'mons. I imagine the game is still heavily in development.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm, not very fond of that, it's a tad too girly and pink for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a very strange Eeveelution, it doesn't seem to quite fit in with the rest. I'm wondering whether or not we'll get a second one, as traditionally they're released in pairs. As for typing, there's a lot of speculation it could be the flying type, but I personally think it could be normal; especially if it is the only new Eeveelution of this generation. With that said, now that we know to expect evos/prevos of older 'mons, I'm wondering who else will get an expanded family in these games.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I'm a little bothered by how much they are changing in this game compared to the previous games in the series. It's like Nintendo is relaunching the whole franchise. There was a screenshot comparison of every Pokemon game in the series in the 3DS section of Nintendo Forums, and the old Pokemon games honestly looked and played a lot better. I simply don't know if they're going to replicate that spirit on the 3DS with the full 3D thing.
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4 new sprites released this week then. I'm getting excited me :D
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Wario wrote: »
    I'm a little bothered by how much they are changing in this game compared to the previous games in the series. It's like Nintendo is relaunching the whole franchise. There was a screenshot comparison of every Pokemon game in the series in the 3DS section of Nintendo Forums, and the old Pokemon games honestly looked and played a lot better. I simply don't know if they're going to replicate that spirit on the 3DS with the full 3D thing.

Black and White felt like a relaunch for me, so this will just feel like a continuation.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oddly excited for this. Preordered X. So far, I think I'll probably go with Chespin depending on evolutions.
  • KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm excited about this but there is nothing odd about it :D I love the Pokemon games and am currently in a race to collect all 649 in White 2 in preparation for this game. I hope there is a way of transferring them over to the new ones!