Conflicting frame rates for video editing advice please

I am interested in purchasing some stock video for a project.The problem is that of the 4 pieces I'm interested in they all come in at different frame rates:
23.98fps
25fps
29.97 fps
30.00fps

Am I just wasting my time or could they be converted so that you wouldn't notice much of a problem?

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    yes they can be converted. there are a number of techniques.

if you're converting from say 23.976 to 25 you normally just speed up the video. you may also want to pitch shift the audio.

for the bigger jumps there are established techniques see the frame rate section here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivtc
  • virginskyfanvirginskyfan Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    yes they can be converted. there are a number of techniques.

if you're converting from say 23.976 to 25 you normally just speed up the video. you may also want to pitch shift the audio.

for the bigger jumps there are established techniques see the frame rate section here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivtc

Thanks for this.Is it something that could be done without cost?The examples on wikipedia seem to show a sacrifice in quality would you say it is marginal?
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    well yes and no.

for example all American tv shows shown in the UK have had their frame rates changed and they look fine. but anything you do to video reduces it's quality. and changing the frame rate is one of them.

it's unlikely though that your stock footage has was filmed at all those frame rates in the first place. so it's probably already been changed.

is there a reason why you can't just buy it at the frame rate you require?
  • GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So now that pretty much digital video has come so far, is there any reason not to just stick with 25 and 50 fps (or 30/60). I mean, 29.98 fps, who the hell thought that one up? And sort out the bloody interlacing fiasco.

Grrr. Yes I know it won't happen in my lifetime (and I'm in my 30s).