Sky free pass on PickTV 2013

Comments

• Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    If Pick TV was as available across the UK as the BBC channels it could bid for FTA Sports Rights.

Ad revenue would multiply and would compliment the Pay TV market share Sky has. Especially if they take the highlights packages too.

I'd call the channel "Sky Free"

& if course it could be in HD.

There is a slot available???????!

Sky and free really don't go :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    How exiting NOT
    tomee wrote: »
    http://skythursdays.sky.com/

24 Jan:
    19:00 Modern Family s1 e1
    19:30 Bradley Wiggins: A Year in Yellow
    21:00 Elementary s1 e1
    22:00 Game of Thrones s1 e1

31 Jan:
    19:00 Modern Family s1 e2
    19:30 Spy s1 e1
    20:00 Touch s1 e1
    21:00 Stella s1 e1
    22:00 Game of Thrones s1 e2

7 Feb:
    19:00 Modern Family s1 e3
    19:30 Spy s1 e2
    20:00 Touch s1 e2
    21:00 Stella s1 e2
    22:00 Game of Thrones s1 e3

14 Feb:
    19:00 Treasure Island s1 e1
    21:00 Stella s1 e3
    22:00 The Borgias s1 e1

21 Feb:
    19:00 Treasure Island s1 e2
    21:00 An Idiot Abroad 2 s2 e1
    22:00 The Borgias s1 e2

28 Feb:
    19:00 The British s1 e1
    20:00 Blue Bloods s1 e1
    21:00 An Idiot Abroad 2 s2 e2
    22:00 The Borgias s1 e3

7 Mar:
    19:00 The British s1 e2
    20:00 Blue Bloods s1 e23 (so it says on the website, but imdb says season 1 only has 22 episodes! Probably means s1 e2)
    21:00 An Idiot Abroad 2 s2 e3
    22:00 Boardwalk Empire s1 e1

14 Mar:
    19:00 The British s1 e3
    20:00 Smash s1 e1
    21:00 Mount Pleasant s1 e1
    22:00 Boardwalk Empire s1 e2

21 Mar:
    19:00 Richard E Grant - Hotel Secrets s1 e1
    20:00 Smash s1 e2
    21:00 Mount Pleasant s1 e2
    22:00 Boardwalk Empire s1 e3

28 Mar:
    19:00 Richard E Grant - Hotel Secrets s1 e2
    20:00 Smash s1 e3
    21:00 Mount Pleasant s1 e3
    22:00 Mad Dogs s1 e1

4 Apr:
    19:00 Teen Wolf s1 e1
    20:00 Bedlam s1 e1
    21:00 Parkinson: Masterclass s1 e1
    22:00 Mad Dogs s1 e2

11 Apr:
    19:00 Teen Wolf s1 e2
    20:00 Bedlam s1 e2
    21:00 Parkinson: Masterclass s1 e2
    22:00 A Young Dr's Notebook s1 e1

Not just one weekend this time but every Thursday For 12 weeks from 24 Jan 2013 7-11pm until 11th April 2013.
  • davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Well i guess it's a good try by Sky, but its not going to work or a least work well, most of what they are going to put on, is not all that good, or if it is - they need to put whole series on, not just a few of a series,

I think seriously they are feeling the pinch, as too are virgin, TV market is getting hit hard,

More people willing to use on demand service like - netflix and love film,

And cost - after all its supported by adverts to start with and they we are asked to pay sub's too,

The only genuine - good price tv is the sports channels, you get full coverage and there is a lot to choose from, so as long as you enjoy - football - cricket or darts or a selection £££ vs hours its good,

Movie channels are a waste of space, if you remove all the repeats and old stuff its not worth the extra investment,

I think overall we are at the early stages of a major shift in tv Choice and viewing, and i think we now only want to watch and perhaps pay for what we want,

Take a few mins and think or list all the channel you watch, then deduct them from all the ones you have, and then ask yourself, is it worth the money? after all you paying towards either free or rubbish channels, you don't watch. so why do you want them, cos u have too,

I am shortly having my Virgin XL package removed, and have switched, to freesat - freeview and FTA 13.0 - 19.2 too,

OK i get 100's of channels and many are rubbish or not in english lang, but they are all free so it don't matter :D
  • Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky and free really don't go :p

Didn't Murdoch ban that word? :rolleyes: He doesn't believe in free anything - just look at the Times Paywall........
  • viewer btvviewer btv Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    You can get all of their so called premium content on certain websites on the internet after a GOOGLE search Mypremium.tv is one that all the Sports channels on it for example .However most tv is rubbish these days and worth bothering about apart from Eurosport channels back on Top Up Tv I would not go near it
  • shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this plan of giving you tasters of shows so you might susbscribe to skys services just makes me hate them more.
  • paul_mpaul_m Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the Metro newspapers (at least in London) have a wrap-around advert saying Sky Free Thursdays start today, and listing what programmes will be broadcast tonight. So they are spending quite a lot of money on this. Interestingly, they don't mention the Pick TV name at all. It just says 'on Freeview channel 11'.
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul_m wrote: »
    All the Metro newspapers (at least in London) have a wrap-around advert saying Sky Free Thursdays start today, and listing what programmes will be broadcast tonight. So they are spending quite a lot of money on this. Interestingly, they don't mention the Pick TV name at all. It just says 'on Freeview channel 11'.

The on-screen logo may changes for Thursdays night only.Like it did for the free weekend pass.So it better to say channel 11 for those who don't watch the channel much.

I wonder if some of the show will be shown in full at a later date in the year.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Pick TV was as available across the UK as the BBC channels it could bid for FTA Sports Rights.

Ad revenue would multiply and would compliment the Pay TV market share Sky has. Especially if they take the highlights packages too.

I'd call the channel "Sky Free"

& if course it could be in HD.

There is a slot available???????!
    Sports would look absolute rubbish on the 544x576 picture resolution that Pick TV provides so I genuinely hope they NEVER get any sports rights.

They'd probably only give you part of the event free anyway and expect you to pay to view the rest of it. :D
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    paul_m wrote: »

Sky don't like to publicise the fact they run Pick TV. Hmm... I wonder why that is? :rolleyes:
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Sports would look absolute rubbish on the 544x576 picture resolution that Pick TV provides so I genuinely hope they NEVER get any sports rights.

They'd probably only give you part of the event free anyway and expect you to pay to view the rest of it. :D

I think the opposite and with sky having complete control of the free sports market is very appealing.

Like I said only in HD & only FREE.

Who would lose out? Really!!!!

Sky coverage is the best and this would complement the Pay rights & the ad revenue would be massive for sky.

I honestly don't see the problem and think the viewer would benefit.

Anti sky people baffle me
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the opposite and with sky having complete control of the free sports market is very appealing.

Like I said only in HD & only FREE.

Who would lose out? Really!!!!

Sky coverage is the best and this would complement the Pay rights & the ad revenue would be massive for sky.

I honestly don't see the problem and think the viewer would benefit.

Hmm... You have a point there, as BT have allowed a carriage deal with ITV to continue their Rugby coverage. As thats a big pull for ITV4.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nothing to do with being anti Sky, it's just stating facts and being realistic.

If you think Sky would even contemplate a FTA sports channel in HD on Freeview then you're sadly deluded. It simply WONT happen.

Sorry if that makes me seem anti Sky but I prefer to live in the real world.
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with being anti Sky, it's just stating facts and being realistic.

If you think Sky would even contemplate a FTA sports channel in HD on Freeview then you're sadly deluded. It simply WONT happen.

Sorry if that makes me seem anti Sky but I prefer to live in the real world.

And you make an even better point, Mickey!

In HD? No. There is no DTT capacity. And Sky won't purchase the new slot just to show content for free.

Free? No, thats not going to happen either, as they're are too many people willing to pay Sky to get it directly.
  • malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    this plan of giving you tasters of shows so you might susbscribe to skys services just makes me hate them more.

I know. Its almost like they're a commercial business trying to drum up extra business. How simply AWFUL of them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the idea from Sky's point of view is very reasonable, it ticks off people who don't like Sky but they are a business and much as we may say 'Boo! Evil Sky!' this is one way to draw in new subscribers.

Equally they could use it as gauge for bringing additional shows to freeview so that they can keep pitching how great pay TV is as after all if there is nothing to draw in viewers then are wasting their time. And they can get extra adverting income with popular shows for example companies sponsoring some programme slots.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just don't get why any criticism of Pick TV is immediately seen as being 'anti Sky'? It's ludicrous when people simply can't post an opinion without being labelled like that.

For me as a viewer I'm only interested in a channels content and if Pick TV are showing an episode from a series, then they should endeavour to show the whole series and not just a couple of 'tempters' which are ultimately a waste of time watching from the viewers perspective.

I don't even bother tuning into the Thurs night offerings for that reason alone, so they're not exactly doing a good job of tempting me to join in that respect.

I really think the best way of marketing is to carry on pushing their products during ad breaks, which if they're showing a whole series, will be seen by a larger audience anyway.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to note that before Pick, Challenge and Sky News launched on Freesat I had never seen a promo for any of those channels.

Now on Sky News, at least, they pop up regularly.

As for first episode 'teasers', it's standard marketing.

Whether it's free samples of new products or first editions of expensive 'part works', it's been around for decades.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    As for first episode 'teasers', it's standard marketing.

Not for TV channels it's not!
  • David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I've had just Freeview in the past it's because I couldn't afford to pay for Virgin or Sky. So even if I enjoyed some of the shows in the free pass, I wouldn't be encouraged to upgrade because I still wouldn't be able to afford it. This could be true for a lot of people with only Freeview so I don't see how this would encourage that group of people.
  • jj20xjj20x Posts: 2,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David_Hill wrote: »
    This could be true for a lot of people with only Freeview so I don't see how this would encourage that group of people.

Not forgetting the masses using freeview because they simply don't want to pay for subscription tv.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Well, I'm planning to record Treasure Island, but nothing else they're putting out is terribly exciting from my point of view.

As for PickTV generally...I fall on the "meh" side. I don't dislike it, but it's not exactly a contender for channel of the year either. I'd much rather have PickTV on the EPG than another one of the junk shopping channels I've hidden anyway. I occasionally tune in for Futurama, so...It gets some use I guess.
  • lbearlbear Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally Posted by pk_bluenose
    pick tv has improved recently with the addition of spartacus, stargate strikeback etc which are welcome additions to FTA television but these shows are still taking far too long to go onto a non-pay platform
    The first showing of Spartacus coincided with the second series (with a different actor owing to the untimely death of the original). There was a large DOG telling you that you could watch this on Sky 1HD or Sky Atlantic (another of their tricks to get subscribers to them as Virgin cannot carry it)

Sky will allow you to watch some of their live channels via a Now TV subscription IF you use a Roku or Apple product to do so. This part of NowTV is currently not allowed to be used on a youview box
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David_Hill wrote: »
    Whenever I've had just Freeview in the past it's because I couldn't afford to pay for Virgin or Sky. So even if I enjoyed some of the shows in the free pass, I wouldn't be encouraged to upgrade because I still wouldn't be able to afford it. This could be true for a lot of people with only Freeview so I don't see how this would encourage that group of people.

I'd rather have the money to go to the cinema as often as I like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    I'd rather have the money to go to the cinema as often as I like.
    Yeah, a Cineworld Unlimited card is cheaper than a Sky subscription.