to-do ideas 2 yanks in london

2»

Comments

• DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A tour trip on the river is always good, as is walking around the City on a Sunday. South Bank, Globe (not open yet for the season), the parks. As others have said, the Tower of London is cracking.

Just keep them away from Madame Tussaud's and make sure they download the TfL travel app.
  • bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    The best way i've found to see London is The Monopoly Pub Crawl

http://monopolypubcrawl.org.uk/
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading this thread makes me feel rather crap.

As a Londoner, I still haven't been to the Tower of London, London Eye, in a tour bus or on the Thames. :o Didn't visit Buckingham Palace until my early 20s.

I did once have a pigeon crapping on my coat sleeve - which got me screaming hysterically while flapping my arm madly, trying to get the white poop off - in Trafalgar Square when I was a kid, though. Does this redeem me?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Tower of London. Had a great day out here :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    A river trip to Hampton Court Palace is worth a trip. If enough time Windsor Castle is great as well.
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alt-F4 wrote: »
    The only place worth visiting, there's a comedian yeoman guard who does an hour tour (youtube him) he's bloody hilarious, almost makes up for the £20 robbery that takes place at the entrance

Aww that's really harsh...while I agree that The Tower would be my number one recommendation to anyone visiting London for the first time (because The Tower is utterly brilliant and you can easily spend 4-5 hours there being totally in awe) - I do not agree that the entrance fee is robbery.

Look at the sheer size of the place; keeping the grounds/buildings maintenance and personnel as it is must cost an absolute fortune.

If you want proper, decent rip-offs then look no further than Leicester Square and Covent Garden. £9.50 for a glass of wine in one of the local bars at CG. Fun times.
  • Phil SPhil S Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go for a return trip on the Dangleway - they need the business

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/23863.aspx
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Does this redeem me?

No. You've never been to The Tower??

Are you mad?

Go there. Now.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try visiting the shard. there are no tall buildings in the states.

try the london eye. that's OK

seriously start at trafalgar square,and stroll up to buckingham palace. have a look at the pelicans on the way. lovely stroll
  • harry hamsterharry hamster Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a trip to remember, wave a large knife about outside Buck House.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. You've never been to The Tower??

Are you mad?

Go there. Now.

I will, but not alone. Next time a non-Londoner stays at my place, I'll encourage the idea of visiting there and use the guest as an excuse to see it myself. *thumbs up* :D
  • TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My American friend tried to take me on a bus tour. I refused.