Kobo e-reader

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,904
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not sure if you have noticed but the new Kobo e-reader has been massively reduced in WH Smith (£170 - £99) for the most expensive model.

Is this a sign that they are not selling well or just a ploy to get people to by them instead of kindles for christmas?

Comments

• freeview_userfreeview_user Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    As you said it could be to get people to talk about them/buy them (with Kobo not being a well-known name in the UK). But who knows, they might be not selling well.
  • InsideSoapInsideSoap Posts: 5,981
    Forum Member
    ASDA are selling them (£67 for the cheapest model) so WH Smith need to compete with them now. I thought WH Smith had an exclusive deal though, obviously not.
    W H Smith has backed rival retailer Asda's move to join WHS in selling Kobo e-readers.

The Bookseller revealed yesterday that the supermarket chain would begin selling the Kobo wireless e-reader for £67 and the touchscreen Kobo for £107 this Friday (9th December).

Asda's price for the wireless Kobo compares favourably with that currently being offered by W H Smith, which is charging £89.99 for the wireless model and £109.99 for the Touch. WHS also sells the latest Kobo, the colour model Vox, which will not be stocked by Asda.

A spokesperson for WHS said: "We are very supportive of Kobo extending their UK retail presence, which will help them to establish themselves as a major UK brand."

WHS' deal, announced in October, also means Kobo's e-books will be sold through its website, with the high street bookseller receiving a cut of every book sold.

Tesco, rival supermarket to Asda, sells Amazon's Kindle e-readers.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/w-h-smith-supports-asdas-kobo-move.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Atm WHS are selling at:

Kobo Wireless £69.99
    Kobo Touch £99.99
    Kobo Vox £189.99
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy with my Kobo Wi-fi, a bit annoyed that a tenner have now been knocked off the price, but oh well.

The vox is just a cheap pad style unit, not really good for reading to be honest as it uses a LCD style screen. E-ink is so much better for reading.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, it's the readability I'm attracted to. In particular I'd like to read web pages and large pdfs. Unfortunately I get the impression computers/tablets do a better job of that than eReaders.
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bean999 wrote: »
    Atm WHS are selling at:

Kobo Wireless £69.99
    Kobo Touch £99.99
    Kobo Vox £189.99

Cheapest Kobo is now £49 in WHSmiths
    Kobo Touch is now £79 & Kobo Vox £149.
  • BatwingBatwing Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Happy with my Kobo Wi-fi, a bit annoyed that a tenner have now been knocked off the price, but oh well.

The vox is just a cheap pad style unit, not really good for reading to be honest as it uses a LCD style screen. E-ink is so much better for reading.

That's a personal preference. In fact, it can be argued that LCD screens are superior as people are much more likely to read under conditions of low lighting than outside under a bright sun, the only area where e-readers have an obvious advantage.

LCD screens like on the new iPad are fantastic for reading as text is pin sharp and all book stores are available on it, unlike a dedicated e-reader that is essentially fixed to just one store.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Is it? You can't see it in the dark.
    Forum Member
    Batwing wrote: »
    That's a personal preference. In fact, it can be argued that LCD screens are superior as people are much more likely to read under conditions of low lighting than outside under a bright sun, the only area where e-readers have an obvious advantage.

LCD screens like on the new iPad are fantastic for reading as text is pin sharp and all book stores are available on it, unlike a dedicated e-reader that is essentially fixed to just one store.

The same can be said for smart phones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same can be said for smart phones.

You lost me.
    Forum Member
    You lost me.

You can use several apps to buy books on them.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I work with a computer with a high quality 24'' LCD screen 8 hours a day and it's as much as I can stomach. I have no problem using a dedicated ereader with eink screen for hours.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I work with a computer with a high quality 24'' LCD screen 8 hours a day and it's as much as I can stomach. I have no problem using a dedicated ereader with eink screen for hours.

Most people have no issues using an LCD "for hours."

You are also wrongly comparely the low pixel density of a computer monitor to an e-book reader. The later would be easier to read just for the better detail. You need to compare an e-book reader with a high pixel density screen like on the new iPad to get comparable detail.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are also wrongly comparely the low pixel density of a computer monitor to an e-book reader. The later would be easier to read just for the better detail. You need to compare an e-book reader with a high pixel density screen like on the new iPad to get comparable detail.

I played with various tablets for a while in shops, I did not like the experience. For a reading I still much prefer a paper book or an eink book reader. The experience is different for different people, that's all I am saying.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

But it's not all about pixel desities - I find a eReader easier to read simply as there is no light coming from it - which is what can make an LCD screen tiring to read.

The iPad has a nice screen but it's not one I would want to read on for a long time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can use several apps to buy books on them.

Of course.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    But it's not all about pixel desities - I find a eReader easier to read simply as there is no light coming from it - which is what can make an LCD screen tiring to read.

You can turn down the brightness if you like.

Reading an e-reader in low light is also an issue.
    alan1302 wrote: »
    The iPad has a nice screen but it's not one I would want to read on for a long time.

Have you tried?
    Forum Member
    You can turn down the brightness if you like.

Have you tried?

Yeah, you can turn down the brightness but then it's not as clear and I hate a dim LCD screen.

It is true that reading in low light in an issue for an eReader but if I want to read I will put a light on so I can see it.

I've not tried an iPad for reading as i don't have myself so have not had the time for a long read for one but would prefer an eReader to read on due to the LCD screen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They made it to be like a book, books don't have lights. It's a typical misconception, people want light with their ereader, but when they get it in the form of an LCD display they don't like it. You can get a lighted cover with Kindle, but it influences a battery life. An easy and natural solution is to use the same light one would use with a paper book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it? You can't see it in the dark.

Personal preference yes, but it have been proved that the built in light from LCD screens, could strain eyes more than E-ink.

A work colleague have a binatone e-reader, which he loves, that is LCd and he can read it for hours, now I borrowed a Ipad for a couple of days, and it started to affect my eyes after a hour.

A E-ink reader is suppose to resemble a page of a book, you don't have built in lighting in on a book. I got myself a little LED light that clips onto the Kobo and it does a great job.

The other problem with LCD readers is when you are out in the sun, you can hardly see the things, well I can't anyway, I find it difficult to see my phone sometimes in bright sunlight.

One massive advantage with E-ink readers, battery life, I can charge up my reader and I don't have to bother again for weeks, Ideal if I go any where for a few days, not that I have for a while.

As been said it is personal preferences, Just the same as some people prefer the Kindle to the Kobo and vice versa.

I must admit, the Kindle do seems to have a whiter display than my Kobo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »

i can use my monitor on my computer for around 3-4 hours, but I could not read a e-book LCD book for that long.

you tend to look away from a monitor now and again, but when you are stuck in a book, you don't.

I am hoping the sun stays out today so I can sit out side and have a read, since it is my day off work.
    Forum Member
    i can use my monitor on my computer for around 3-4 hours, but I could not read a e-book LCD book for that long.

you tend to look away from a monitor now and again, but when you are stuck in a book, you don't.

I am hoping the sun stays out today so I can sit out side and have a read, since it is my day off work.

I use a monitor all day at work – but am not constantly looking at the screen – when I read on my phone using a Kindle app then it’s not as good as suing an ereader or an actual book as it makes my eyes tired.