Kinda

daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
Forum Member
✭✭
The first in the run of four brilliant stories imo, Kinda is an unusual one for the show. The imagery for the story is just superb, from the chimes that trap Tegan to the stuff with the clock at the end of Part 3. Plus the actual sets themselves were quite good, which is something you don't often say about Classic Who! The story was also backed up by some superb incidental music and special musical cues which complement the action.

As far as the regulars go, the absence of Nyssa from the story benefits it enormously, much as I like the character. This means there is less squabbling, bar the big padding scene between Adric and Tegan in Part 4. Both companions have something major to do as a result.

Janet Fielding is just brilliant when she is possessed by The Mara, the only shame being that she wasn't able to play being evil for long(Something she made up for in Snakedance). I loved all that stuff in the dark void with Reg Hollis from The Bill and visually it still looks really good today. The whole Mara thing with the snake on the arm I remember well and was very creepy, the only disappointment being the big puppet snake at the end, though the CGI Version on the DVD is a big improvement.

All the stuff in the dome is a sideshow as The Doctor points out but it is just as relevant. Adric in this story is a lot less annoying, Simon Rouse as the other future Bill star plays Hindle really well and imbues him with enough of a maniacal edge to make you believe he really would blow up the dome. Richard Todd, what an actor; to play three different versions of Sanders. the angry and gruff one, the childlike version, then the normal one at the end.

Highlight of this story for me though, is the relationship between The Doctor and Doctor Todd. I always feel Doctorr Todd should have been a companion, Nerys Hughes does so much of a better job than the regular trio, especially during Part 3 when they explore the jungle together. The humour between them is just superb. I just love it in Part 1 when she slaps an apple in his hand which leads to a one of Davison's best line. 'An apple a day keeps...well, never mind!'. I also love it that Panna keeps calling him an idiot and it's even funnier when the sexy Karuna starts doing it as well! :D

The Kinda themselves were an interesting race. I like the fact they could only communicate telepathically, this made Aris's possession by the Mara more disturbing and evil.

I really enjoy watching Peter Davison in this story, it's one where I felt his Doctor had truly arrived. The way he confronts the Mara Possessed Aris proves he is no wimp and could really be authoritative when he had to be, plus it was quite a humourous performance considering, for his Doctor.

One last thing about this story is that I like is that it has so many future big names in it. I've said about The Bill duo, but there was also Adrian Mills from That's Life, Anna 'Lou Beale' Wing from EastEnders and in a very small role as one of the Kinda was Glen 'Dibber' Murphy from London's Burning.

Not quite the best story of the Season for me but it still is a brilliant story nevertheless.

:)

Comments

• AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one is pretty special for me as the final battle with the snake in the mirrored circle is one of my earliest Dr Who memories. Scared the crap out of me and despite the fact that it's so obviously plastic it still does. Love it. Personally I don't want a better looking snake - that could give me another 20 odd years of nightmares :)

Strangely my childhood memory insists that it is Tom Baker who fights the Mara.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't help thinking that Kinda would work much better as a story in the modern series. And it could be done in a way that releases it from the painfully studio bound jungle sets.

Having said that it's one of the most intriguing stories ever attempted in Who, and pretty much everyone rises to the occasion - especially the superb performance from Simon Rouse, who is genuinely terrifying as the utterly unhinged Hindle. Richard Todd plays his part well, firstly as the expected stiff upper lip British officer type he was so well known for, but then as the unsettlingly child-like old man. Only Nerys Hughes does what we expect - dependable and down to earth, and an excellent foil for Davison, and as Daveyboy says, she works so much better than the regulars in the companion role. Davison really could have done with an older companion - this role proves it could have worked very well.

And Janet Fielding - what a star turn she gives. So much better, and far more interesting as creepy possessed Tegan. The direction of the inside-her-mind sequences is wonderful too and there are plenty of other inspired scenes (but also, oddly, some very dull and flat jungle scenes which make it seem as if the director just ran out of imagination).

I know the snake's a bit poor, but isn't noticeably worse than many other Who monsters, and who's to say that the 'real' appearance of the alien Mara isn't a plasticky snakey thing?

Kinda wasn't well received at the time and I believe that it came bottom of the DWAS poll for that year (and that's quite an achievement considering that this season also features the snore fest of Four To Doomsday, and the utterly baffling how the hell did this crap ever get made awfulness of Timeflight). Yet today it's regarded (quite rightly in my opinion) as one of the best of the 1982 series.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kinda good.
  • sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really want to see this one, sounds good. The Mara sounds like quite a different, and clever monster. I always think of the kinder chocolate when I hear this title:)
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Kinda good.

ISWYDT.

ISMBIDHV.
    (I'd say more but I don't have voice.) ;)
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adams66 wrote: »

Kinda wasn't well received at the time and I believe that it came bottom of the DWAS poll for that year (and that's quite an achievement considering that this season also features the snore fest of Four To Doomsday, and the utterly baffling how the hell did this crap ever get made awfulness of Timeflight). Yet today it's regarded (quite rightly in my opinion) as one of the best of the 1982 series.

:eek::eek::eek:

I didn't know that!

Like you say, how the hell did anyone think it was worse than Time Flight?!

Maybe it was because it was a bit different from the usual Doctor Who style of story that it was unpopular at the time. Or maybe because it was a bit difficult to follow at times for them?

Glad that the story has gained approval over the years because it really is a good story and in another year may have been my favourite. Just shows you how strong the middle part of Davison's first Season really was.

• gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good, strong, clever and witty story. Features some excellent performances from a brilliant cast - including (as you say Davey) some soon-to-be stars. Interesting, one of the biggest future stars in Johnny Lee Miller playing one of the Kinda children (according to the DVD commentary).

The only let down for me (apart from the snake - and yes the CGI version makes up for this) is the fact the jungle scenes are so obviously filmed in the studio - another trip to Black Park in Iver could have compensated for this.

Perhaps 'Kinda' should be remade for the new series, and given a decent budget - though we'd lose the superb cast that the original version had.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well with The Bill at an end Simon Rouse and Jeff Stewart are available :)

I must admit having being going through a DVD marathon of classic Doctor Who I'm finding the studio sets to be less and less off of an issue they are alien planet and they shouldn't be like earth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    definitely Janet Fieldings best story..
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One last thing about this story is that I like is that it has so many future big names in it. I've said about The Bill duo, but there was also Adrian Mills from That's Life, Anna 'Lou Beale' Wing from EastEnders and in a very small role as one of the Kinda was Glen 'Dibber' Murphy from London's Burning.
    Well with The Bill at an end Simon Rouse and Jeff Stewart are available :)

There's a third future Bill star in Kinda as Graham Cole aka Tony Stamp appears uncredited as a Kinda tribesman. This was his 4 of 8 uncredited appearances in Doctor Who
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I love love love this show. Came out on video in that wonderful period of 1991-1995 (before the infamous TV movie). Back then my enthusiasm for DW was at its zenith. I was starting secondary school and this video was a treasured addition to my collection, and for some reason even outshone the Snow White remastered release from Disney.
    As much as I respect Caves of Anzrozani this for me is Peter Davison's masterpiece, where his Doctor was in character (the Doctor in Caves is a bit more sarky etc), and the guest cast as already outlined before are superlative. The lack of completely explaining the plot and loose ends means this story is very very rewatchable - something that few 1970s stories can match, much as I rate that decade highly in general.
    Yep - best of the Davison era and in the top 4/5 of the 1980s overall.
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    Kinda is one of my favourite Doctor Who stories. The possessed Janet Fielding is superb and dare I say beats Sarah-Jane's 'Eldrad must live' moment hands down.
    Good to see that Anna Wing's small part has already been mentioned: those scenes are really creepy to this day.
    adams66 wrote: »
    I can't help thinking that Kinda would work much better as a story in the modern series. And it could be done in a way that releases it from the painfully studio bound jungle sets...

I think the storyline is definitely worth revisiting.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is one of the greatest Who stories ever - right up there with the golden age of series 13 and 14. The story itself is great, but what really lifts it so high for me are two great performances - Janet Fielding as Tegan and Simon Rouse as Hindle.

This story is Tegan's best ever, and Janet really takes the chances with both hands. The scenes in the dark with Tegan being tormented by the Mara are brilliant (the actor playing that appearance of the Mara is terrific too), and she's also first rate when possessed.

Hindle is a genuinely frightening character, because you feel he might do absolutely anything. Yet he's really not a villain at all, simply a man who has become mentally ill under stress. The fact that the Doctor is so clearly scared of him adds to the menace.

Some people criticise the snake at the end, and I'll grant it's not great, but it's the only thing about this brilliant story that isn't. Absolutely love it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    It's a fantastic piece of Who- i would say Davison's best story. Rouse and Fielding steal the show here.
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is one of the greatest Who stories ever - right up there with the golden age of series 13 and 14. The story itself is great, but what really lifts it so high for me are two great performances - Janet Fielding as Tegan and Simon Rouse as Hindle.

This story is Tegan's best ever, and Janet really takes the chances with both hands. The scenes in the dark with Tegan being tormented by the Mara are brilliant (the actor playing that appearance of the Mara is terrific too), and she's also first rate when possessed.

Hindle is a genuinely frightening character, because you feel he might do absolutely anything. Yet he's really not a villain at all, simply a man who has become mentally ill under stress. The fact that the Doctor is so clearly scared of him adds to the menace.

Some people criticise the snake at the end, and I'll grant it's not great, but it's the only thing about this brilliant story that isn't. Absolutely love it!

Yes yes everything above ^^ fantastic execution ( bar snake at the end) and a complex storyon a par with Moffat :). Wouldnt be out of place in Nu Who( Can you imagine how it could look with today's budget)
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 5,977
    Forum Member
    Glad other posters seem to like it as well, I do rate this story. There is a multitude of themes in it and I never tire of the dialogue or how well all the actors do here. Lots of energy and skillful acting. Can't pick which is my favourite part, probably al the mind Void stuff. Very creepy, surreal and chilling at times. Apart from Earthshock in PD's first season this is my second favourite. A highlight of the Fifth Doctor era and indeed JNT's 80s Doctor Who. Even the Snake!!! Sorry Mara :-p
    Tegan's best performance also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    doublefour wrote: »
    Glad other posters seem to like it as well, I do rate this story. There is a multitude of themes in it and I never tire of the dialogue or how well all the actors do here. Lots of energy and skillful acting. Can't pick which is my favourite part, probably al the mind Void stuff. Very creepy, surreal and chilling at times. Apart from Earthshock in PD's first season this is my second favourite. A highlight of the Fifth Doctor era and indeed JNT's 80s Doctor Who. Even the Snake!!! Sorry Mara :-p
    Tegan's best performance also.

I thought Snakedance was better in that regard.......

• highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    I remember when Simon Rouse was a subject of 'This Is Your Life'. They played a montage of some of his work from over the years and it included his Kinda "You can't mend people" speech.
    He was mortified and really embarrassed.

I thought he was great but he'll always be Meadows from 'The Bill' for me.
  • DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when Simon Rouse was a subject of 'This Is Your Life'. They played a montage of some of his work from over the years and it included his Kinda "You can't mend people" speech.

A bit of a shame he was embarrassed, as he'd no cause to be. He was terrific.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Obviously not so embarrassed that he did an interview on the DVD release but you're right, as one of his early roles, he should be proud of it really.

Forum Member
    Obviously not so embarrassed that he did an interview on the DVD release but you're right, as one of his early roles, he should be proud of it really.

It may well have been something to do with how young he looked! :D
  • ocoxocox Posts: 2,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nerys Hughes, what a fantastic pair of legs:):o:):o
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I walked past Simon Rouse at the theatre the other night - I was tempted to go up and say 'You can't mend people' to him!
    Forum Member
    gslam2 wrote: »
    I walked past Simon Rouse at the theatre the other night - I was tempted to go up and say 'You can't mend people' to him!

Ooh, I wonder how he would have reacted?

I remember in an episode of "Father Ted" when Ted went up to Richard Wilson and did his "I don't believe it" catchphrase....He got battered!! :D
  • doublefourdoublefour Posts: 5,977
    Forum Member
    Seen Kinda just recently and what a fantastic story I find it. There is a claustrophobic atmosphere, from the base to the studio based jungle also heightened by the scenes in Tegan's subconcious. The scenes set in Tegan's subconcious mind are among the best in the story and indeed of the whole 5th Doctor era. From the eerieness of the music score and effects, to the superb dialogue between the figments in her own subconcious, in particular the Male character who possesses a creepy, sinister and arrogant manner. As much as anything I applaud the idea, culminating in the dilemma Tegan finds herself in and allowing the Mara to possess Tegan. Nyssa is sidelined in the opening scenes, but it is more than understandable with focusing on the characters at the base. All excellent performances from an impressive guest cast, firstly Hindle who fantastically portrays the nervous breakdown throughout this story. Again I applaud the idea, and the subsequent quality of the issues portrayed. A throughly convincing performance by the actor Simon Rouse, played with the ferocity and range of expression which reflects the turmoil and unpredictabilty of his mental state. One second shouting Silence at the Doctor then changing his mind "Alright speak out what is it" in a instantly more pleasant and polite manner. In the same scene he is apparantly ruthlessly in charge then on hearing the noise of the machine bringing Sanders back is shouting in childlike manner "Make it go away".Sanders bringing the Box of back brings and moves the plot on, as well as the Mara being released into the Deva Loka jungle. Hindle locks them up in a cage and demands them to open it, staring quite menacing from his monitor. Hindle's paranoia results him in arming the Dome with a Self Destruct, while he plays building a city with Sanders like children, so continuing the sinister unbalanced nature through the rest of the story. They continue to regress towards children while making cardboard people, talking to each other saying they've done there best for them (the cardboard people) with Sanders agreeing. Hindle's reaction to the head being torn off one of the cardboard people is again Superb, ranting you "You can't mend people, can you". The rather comical but disciplianarian Saunders played by Richard Todd, His jogging on the spot while talking to Todd always brings a chuckle. His view of the Kinda tribe being of 'ignorant savages'. Contrast his change after opening the Box of Jana, reducing him to the mind of a child or a bit of a simpleton. That is one of thethings about this story is it has many threads and issues, usually it can get a bit cluttered but I think the story has an easy flow to it, plenty of interesting ideas being explored coming together in a situation that is claustrophobic and well built up. In Episode Two we first start to learn of the Kinda, again quickly we get to learn of there ways. Such as through Hanna, Karuna and Aris, terms such as the notwe all help in the world building of this story. We get more into the Kinda tribe in Episodes Three and Four, I love the section where they meet up with the Kinda Jester. Central to the Kinda are Hanna and Karuna, the blindness being another issue which is thrown into the mix of this multi-issue story. The Doctor's own performance is sublime Davison, this being the 5th Doctor's third adventure he really is establishing the character and traits of the 5th incarnation. Some of his dialogue is good "An apple a day keeps the, nevermind", " Paradise is a little to green for me", and of course his reaction to being labelled an idiot by Hanna.The story builds up to the end, with The Mara possing Aris intent on attacking the Dome. The Doctor finding Tegan and of course the Doctor defeating the Mara complete with the well documented special effects of the time it is still a satisfying end to a superb story. That and the opening of the Box mending Hindle and Sanders mental state by bringing the mind back into phase brings another aspect of the story to a satsfying conclusion. This is grown up thought provoking television, with plenty of issues bravely tackled and portrayed. Obviously then a story I would whole heartedly recommend, and one to rewatch with interest everytime. I must mention the documentary of the story 'Dream Time' on the DVD as an enlightening look at the story from the writers, actors and director.