Disney Latest Pixar movie flops.

AdamskAdamsk Posts: 1,384
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Disney's movie Planes the makers behind Cars flopped at the box office in US and UK after lack of exposers.And getting poor review for critics claiming it Pixar getting greed by recycling car and making them aeroplanes inserted,of making something new.

Comments

• Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Flop? They won't lose money, that's for sure.

IIRC, it was originally intended to go straight to DVD and has hardly been given the same promotional push (or budget) of previous stablemate releases. Nothing more than a late summer schedule filler that was never really expected to do major business anyway. It's not had a full run at the international box-office yet either. Only just opened in many places.

Straight to DVD cash-ins have been a very good investment for Disney, and doubtless this too will prove itself once it's in the market.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    It has nothing to do with Pixar, it was produced by DisneyToon...
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cars was Pixars worst film. I imagine Planes is also not great. Not surprised.

Still don't think either are flops though.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The money in the Cars franchise is in the merchandise anyway. They've sold 10 billion dollars worth of Cars branded products.

To say it's a flop is nonsense. And I seriously doubt Planes is the last film in the series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/14209968
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They need to recreate the Toy Story series and maybe have a sequel to The Incredibles.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Considering how many different Planes toys are at the store i work at and how well they are selling, the real reason this film was made is pretty clear.
  • Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All Pixar movies are financial successes.

I like all of them, maybe with the exception of the Cars series, talking cars just doesn't appeal to me.
  • Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd like to echo theonlyweeman in saying that PLANES IS NOT A PIXAR FILM.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    They need to recreate the Toy Story series and maybe have a sequel to The Incredibles.
    No, they need to stop behaving like Disney and instead behave like Pixar. Less sequels, more original concepts.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    The money in the Cars franchise is in the merchandise anyway. They've sold 10 billion dollars worth of Cars branded products.
    Jeez. I knew they sold, but not that much.

They're hardly likely to shoot a golden goose that profitable, so I guess more cars/spin-offs will be in the works from all concerned.
    edEx wrote: »
    No, they need to stop behaving like Disney and instead behave like Pixar. Less sequels, more original concepts.
    I think we can cut them a bit of slack here actually. The sequels are always huge hits and allow them more room to develop the original concepts. We're dealing with a studio with an overall exceptional quality level - having everything original might not be viable if they want something out there every year or two years. If we include the Nemo sequel and the next two originals, that's five sequels out of seventeen releases over the twenty years since Toy Story. They have an extraodinary hit rate, and sequels are understandable when you look at it that way (and an Incredibles sequel would be more than welcome).
  • BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pixar didnt make this (facepalm)

But Picar should focus more on new movies instead of sequels, no more Toy Story films, 3 was the perfect ending, The Incredibles 2 is one they could attempt depending on the plot, doubt it would match the first though

Monsters Inc 2 would of been great if they had gone for a sequel instead of a prequel, set it in the future with Bo's child or as her when she's older
  • lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people- with the exception of a few- have failed to realise that.... THIS ISN'T A PIXAR FILM!
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After Cars and Planes, they need to do Boats and have a character called Brian Ferry.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was the worst Pixar film I've ever seen.
    Oh Pixar, where did it all go wrong?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    The film is most definitely not a flop. It's budget was $50 million which is relatively small compared to other animated movies, and it's already taken over $100 million worldwide, with quite a few markets left to open. It might not be up to the usual box office standard of a Disney cartoon, but considering it was originally meant to be straight to DVD/Blu Ray, i doubt anyone at Disney was ever expecting it to be a Monsters University or Despicable Me 2 sized hit. By the end of it's run it'll likely have tripled it's production budget, and that's before it hits it's originally intended market of DVD/Blu Ray. I'd say Disney will be over the moon with it's current performance, not to mention that they're already well into production on Planes 2 for release next year.

:sleep:It's not Pixar...It's a spin off of a Pixar movie, but it's was made by Disney Animation Studios. Pixar had nothing to do with it.
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has nothing to do with Pixar, it was produced by DisneyToon...
    I'd like to echo theonlyweeman in saying that PLANES IS NOT A PIXAR FILM.
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Pixar didnt make this (facepalm)

But Picar should focus more on new movies instead of sequels, no more Toy Story films, 3 was the perfect ending, The Incredibles 2 is one they could attempt depending on the plot, doubt it would match the first though

Monsters Inc 2 would of been great if they had gone for a sequel instead of a prequel, set it in the future with Bo's child or as her when she's older
    lala wrote: »
    Some people- with the exception of a few- have failed to realise that.... THIS ISN'T A PIXAR FILM!

I think we all get the message. Wait....

Doh! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member

:confused::confused:

This film was not made by Pixar!!!!
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes this isn't a Pixar film but even so by the posters here and probably a majority of the general public think this is a Pixar film which can only devalue their studio.

Looking at Pixar's schedule 2013 and beyond:

The Good Dinosaur (2014)
    Inside Out (2015)
    Finding Dory (2015)
    Lee Unkrich's Untitled Día de los Muertos film (2016)

Planes did not flop:

Budget: $50million
    Box Office (Domestic): $70,844,000
    Overseas: $31,200,000
    Total: $102,044,000

Plus the huge amount of money Disney will make in merchandise. Seems pretty good for a film that was supposed to be Direct-to-DVD.
  • frostfrost Posts: 4,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cars was Pixars worst film

Hell no. Cars was great. Much better than Pixar films like ratatouille, Brave and Bugs life.
  • Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cars was okay, this was Pixars worst film.

Pixar better shape up as they'll be struggling if they have another flop like this one.
    frost wrote: »
    Hell no. Cars was great. Much better than Pixar films like ratatouille, Brave and Bugs life.
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Pixar better shape up as they'll be struggling if they have another flop like this one.

Sorry to repeat what has been said time and time again above, this is NOT a Pixar film. And as was also pointed out, it has not flopped. Its made its money back.

The Good Dinosaur (2014)
    Inside Out (2015)
    Finding Dory (2015)
    Lee Unkrich's Untitled Día de los Muertos film (2016)
    I'm curious about Inside Out (even if it sounds a bit like Cranium Command: The Movie) but I'm really intrigued as to just how they're going to do the Dia de los Muertos film. Bet the ad-men are already panicking about how to promote that one. ;)

Planes did not flop:

Budget: $50million
    Box Office (Domestic): $70,844,000
    Overseas: $31,200,000
    Total: $102,044,000

Plus the huge amount of money Disney will make in merchandise. Seems pretty good for a film that was supposed to be Direct-to-DVD.
    I agree, I'm no expert but those numbers say anything but flop! lol :D

Its sort of like what happened with High School Musical - it was only a DCOM, no doubt it had high hopes but no where near what it actually became. Certainly one of those 'catching lightening in a bottle' moments.
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    frost wrote: »

A Bugs Life is my fave Pixar film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member

I suggest you actually read people's responses rather than just blindly posting the same inaccurate information...in capitals this time:

THIS IS NOT A PIXAR FILM, THEY HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. IT IS ALSO NOT A FLOP.

All clear?
  • stumcdstumcd Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    This forum has confirmed my fear that Pixars reputation would get tarnished with this movie. I've also seen many people on twitter making the same mistake in thinking this movie was created by Pixar.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »

Well, that would be preferable but they do not seem to be producing the creativity to produce new material.