Heart Manchester...If only!

Comments

• GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    sparry wrote: »
    And given this thread, it's ironic that that was Heart before it was rebranded!

Indeed it was .....:eek:
    Forum Member
    in my ears wrote: »
    tower fm is owned by utv i think you mean imagine fm

Sorry yes I do In the great run of things despite TS nationally UTV still not in the big three but working on it no doubt.;)
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Birmingham seems to be the only city with a three way choice of an established local (well it has now become Free! rather than Birmingham based BRMB), a Heart and a & Capital.
    In Manchester it's only Key 103 vs Capital, to be honest Real just seems so dire as a concept that even I'd probably prefer Heart, Real just seems to cover the exact territory of local Bauer stations, but the Bauer stations still do it better, I preferred Century, Real is a terrible name I can't be the only one to think that.
    Forum Member
    Birmingham seems to be the only city with a three way choice of an established local (well it has now become Free! rather than Birmingham based BRMB), a Heart and a & Capital.
    In Manchester it's only Key 103 vs Capital, to be honest Real just seems so dire as a concept that even I'd probably prefer Heart, Real just seems to cover the exact territory of local Bauer stations, but the Bauer stations still do it better, I preferred Century, Real is a terrible name I can't be the only one to think that.

Agree over the name. I was in Nottingham when Radio 106 as it was then began. By virtue of its remit a regional station with talk and sport thrown in. Come 2000 re branded as Century. As a local newsagent I regularly went on air to review the papers for them.Many listeners came from gem when GWR turned in it to classic gold.They didnt stay alas as in their infinite wisdom the new owners turned it into what it is today a mish mash trying to be national and regional at the same time.
    As I mentioned earlier the Notts station after a period as heart now on its own again as Gem 106 with 90% of its programming LOCAL:D and doing nicely ta. Draw your own conclusions.....:o
  • max_dbmax_db Posts: 3,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bowland37 wrote: »
    103.4 and 97.1 cover quite a large chunk of the area.

No they don't, 97.1 gets completely wiped by 97.2 Wythenshaw FM in the south and 97.0 from Rochdale does in the north.
    103.4 is completely wiped out by High Peak Radio on 103.3 throughout the city.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    max_db wrote: »
    No they don't, 97.1 gets completely wiped by 97.2 Wythenshaw FM in the south and 97.0 from Rochdale does in the north.
    103.4 is completely wiped out by High Peak Radio on 103.3 throughout the city.

Wirral 97.1 is extremely weak even in Warrington, so not many people in Manchester are going to be casually tuning into Heart, 103.4 is probably listenable just about in some southern suburbs, Altrincham and Lymm.
  • max_dbmax_db Posts: 3,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wirral 97.1 is extremely weak even in Warrington, so not many people in Manchester are going to be casually tuning into Heart, 103.4 is probably listenable just about in some southern suburbs, Altrincham and Lymm.

Completely wiped out by 103.3 in Stretford only a couple of miles away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    Wishing for a Heart to pop up near you is utterly bonkers. It's like saying you want fine dining and then saying you cant wait for a KFC to be built.

There is a vast difference between what anoraks call good radio, (IE which presenter is better than another, who has the best jingle package) However listeners really couldn't care less about jingles and station processing. How about looking at how a station interacts with the community it serves. And for the best part of 18 hours a day Heart doesn't really it's a national station.

You say that you like Heart for the music, but then say that other stations sound too old. If you listen to Heart you'll know that their music mix is older.

If the only reason you want Global to buy out another group, costing them tens of millions of pounds and putting a load more people out of work is so you can listen to Heart in your car, may I suggest either A) Moving house, or B) Getting a digital radio fitted. Both of which are cheaper and economical, and unlike Heart, a digital radio actually does offer more variety ;)

And if you are looking for a job in radio, wishing for Heart to take over you local station is just reducing your chances.

So fail on all counts there I think
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,597
    Forum Member
    Wishing for a Heart to pop up near you is utterly bonkers. It's like saying you want fine dining and then saying you cant wait for a KFC to be built.

Actually, it's like saying you quite like a KFC and wouldn't mind one locally. Not everyone wants fine dining every day.
    listeners really couldn't care less about jingles and station processing. How about looking at how a station interacts with the community it serves. And for the best part of 18 hours a day Heart doesn't really it's a national station.

Yet, in many cases, the ratings have gone up, suggesting that continuous music and local news at the top of the hour is exactly what the audience wants. OFCOM research, at least in part, backs this up hence the recent emphasis on increased news provision in return for fewer local presenter hours.

I like Real, community radio and local radio, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking Local FM automatically equals good, popular and economically viable radio.
  • crusher19860138crusher19860138 Posts: 1,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hitmusic wrote: »
    You guys have got to be joking about REAL NW? It's dire! All over the shop, naff presenters. It sounds so old fashioned, something my dad would listen to and he's only 51!

I wanna listen to heart in my car not via my tv.

You wanna listen to Heart?never heard anyone say that!:D

Heart is stale now,its time has gone,i never liked it from the start,and there is much better,non repetitive stations available nowadays.;)
  • Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 82,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Sadly wherever you listen to it HEART is the same. Only difference is Breakfast and Drive LOCAL hosts but NATIONAL playlist.:D
    GMG Bauer Global take your pick Ladies and Gentlemen...
    Magic,Smooth,Real,Gold other than ads Traffic and a couple of minutes Local news they are all National
    GWR sure as hell have a lot to answer for ......:cry:

Even if it is the same playlist, I shall listen to Heart Wirral for some weekend breakfast shows to hear Fiona Sadler presenting it. How much other coverage is national is interesting to know all the same.
    Forum Member
    Even if it is the same playlist, I shall listen to Heart Wirral for some weekend breakfast shows to hear Fiona Sadler presenting it. How much other coverage is national is interesting to know all the same.

Breakfast and drive local but everything else network.But even with the local presenter talking to you all ther music played at the same time from London.
    For example when we still had Capital Gold Mike Sweeney presented the breakfast show from Manchester/Salford but every single track was played at the same moment on their London feed. Wonder how this pans out with PRS payments ?:confused:
  • chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I have to say that I do like 'bits' of Real Radio at the moment, some work really well - I love Debbie Mac in the afternoon, and not wanting to be controversial I really like On Air with Ryan Seacrest. The breakfast show is just dire though, anyone who has to refer to themselves as 'a bit mad' is usually dull as dishwater.

So yeah wouldn't be against a rebrand to Heart if they did keep Debbie & Ryan!

I do listen to Heart now and again, and do quite like it, it's just Heart on DAB in Manchester is the London variant and it feels a bit wron listening to the station for another area, I don't want to know about problems on the tube!
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Breakfast and drive local but everything else network.But even with the local presenter talking to you all ther music played at the same time from London.
    For example when we still had Capital Gold Mike Sweeney presented the breakfast show from Manchester/Salford but every single track was played at the same moment on their London feed. Wonder how this pans out with PRS payments ?:confused:

On occasions I used to listen to bits of Mick Brown through the TV and then switch to Sweeney on my personal radio it was usually the same song, sometimes one I had just heard, but I never switched to hear the same song played at exactly the same moment, usually a minute or so behind or ahead.
    Forum Member
    chandleo wrote: »
    To be honest, I have to say that I do like 'bits' of Real Radio at the moment, some work really well - I love Debbie Mac in the afternoon, and not wanting to be controversial I really like On Air with Ryan Seacrest. The breakfast show is just dire though, anyone who has to refer to themselves as 'a bit mad' is usually dull as dishwater.

So yeah wouldn't be against a rebrand to Heart if they did keep Debbie & Ryan!

I do listen to Heart now and again, and do quite like it, it's just Heart on DAB in Manchester is the London variant and it feels a bit wron listening to the station for another area, I don't want to know about problems on the tube!

When Lbc and Heart arrived here on DAB they did have opt-outs for traffic from the now defunct Traffic channel which you may recall was also on DAB here.:D
  • HitmusicHitmusic Posts: 2,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And if you are looking for a job in radio, wishing for Heart to take over you local station is just reducing your chances.

So fail on all counts there I think

Why is it utterly bonkers to want a radio station that I love to be on fm in my area?!

Who on earth said I wanted to work for Heart? Or radio for that matter?
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it utterly bonkers to want a radio station that I love to be on fm in my area?!
    If GCAP had not panicked to reduce debt and sold Century in 2006, just before GCAP was taken over by Global in 2007, then you might have had Heart on FM in Manchester instead of Real!
    http://www.business-sale.com/news/article/gcap-sells-century-radio-stations-amid-suggestions-that-further-brands-may-be-up-for-sale-26446.html
    Yes I can listen online, tv dab, smart phone and all that jazz BUT it's not on NORMAL radio.....you know how most normal people listen to radio. In the car etc
    There are several DAB sets and adaptors for the car which will get Heart in Manchester, last week it was confirmed the signal will be boosted 31st May!
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1655744
    chandleo wrote: »
    As digital listening starts to increase I suspect Global will provide a fully national version of Heart, Capital, LBC etc for those not in London and do not want London traffic reports?
  • SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly wherever you listen to it HEART is the same. Only difference is Breakfast and Drive LOCAL hosts but NATIONAL playlist
    Incorrect. Wirral runs a separate log during local hours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incorrect. Wirral runs a separate log during local hours.
    I thought you'd gone?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1638382&highlight=
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised the "North West and North Wales" cluster don't take the London log as the two licences don't have the "contemporary and chart" requirement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now All over the southwest......maybe soon to be in the northwest!
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Now All over the southwest......maybe soon to be in the northwest!

In another thread you say that Heart London sounds tired and needs some new imaging. Yet you want much the same station in the North West. Then, in another thread, you slag off Real Radio.

So what makes you think a localised Heart would be any different?

Or are you just trolling?
    Forum Member
    In another thread you say that Heart London sounds tired and needs some new imaging. Yet you want much the same station in the North West. Then, in another thread, you slag off Real Radio.

So what makes you think a localised Heart would be any different?

Or are you just trolling?

I think the latter Mapperley like yourself.:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIGHT.....To people in London heart is sounding tired as its been on air there for years with the same voices, music etc. I personally am not tired of Heart. I love it!

I would like nothing more than there to be a heart in the NW AND whats wrong with slagging off Real radio? It's dire.
  • Martin KongMartin Kong Posts: 2,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was bad enough that we had some guy who's obession was for GMG to purchase Heart Glos off Global and turn it into Real Radio Glos.

How wrong I am?