CITV to show classic kids TV shows 5/6 Jan 2013

Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,424
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Digital Channel CITV is to dedicate the weekend of 5th & 6th Jan 2013 to showing vintage kids tv shows to celebrate its 30th Anniversary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20780372

Comments

• nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to this! Though suspect my kids will not appreciate it and ask me to turn over to Cartoon Network or Disney..... I think I will go and hide upstairs that day and watch by myself!
  • CoriakinCoriakin Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    This should be interesting. As has often been said by people who grew up in the 70s and 80s, especially before remote controls became commonplace, you tended to be either an ITV kid or a BBC kid and I was mainly a BBC kid so I realise there were quite a lot of things that I missed. I wonder what my nephews will make of it (if they are even interested)

I can't help but be struck by the irony of this exercise. CITV celebrates its 30th anniversary by filling a schedule with past programmes when ITV hasn't even made any programmes for about 5 years.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Coriakin wrote: »
    This should be interesting. As has often been said by people who grew up in the 70s and 80s, especially before remote controls became commonplace, you tended to be either an ITV kid or a BBC kid and I was mainly a BBC kid so I realise there were quite a lot of things that I missed. I wonder what my nephews will make of it (if they are even interested).

I didn't know that I think I tended to be 50/50 even if pushed I can't even think of what I watched the most
  • James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should put Knightmare on too, one of the best childrens shows ever, I hated Blue Peter but loved Knightmare, Childrens Ward et al
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really excited by this as I am an 80s/early 90s kid so seeing shows like Children's Ward, Press Gang, Rainbow, Super Gran, The Raggy Dolls, Count Duckula et all which were from my era will take me right back to my childhood.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,974
    Forum Member
    Should give CITV their best all day share ever :D
  • benjiman_LFCbenjiman_LFC Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard they are going to show Supergran. that will bring back some memories.
    Forum Member
    They should put Knightmare on too, one of the best childrens shows ever, I hated Blue Peter but loved Knightmare, Childrens Ward et al

I wonder how many actually won I know a few did on the last episodes of a series but that's was often because they gave them a "short cut" back.

I remember one group though died in the first few seconds they walked into the first room and fell into a hole on their first few steps
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    I'll be sure to watch the CITV channel that weekend.
  • ian001ian001 Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll be watching this. I had forgotten how many great children's programmes ITV used to make, like Press Gang.
  • Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday, January 5

09.25 Mike & Angelo
    09.50 Super Gran
    10.15 Wizadora
    10.30 T-Bag Strikes Again
    10.50 Engie Benjy
    11.05 The Raggy Dolls
    11.15 Puddle Lane
    11.35 Count Duckula
    12.00 The Sooty Show
    12.25 Art Attack
    12.40 The Big Bang
    13.00 Finders Keepers
    13.30 Fun House
    14.00 Knightmare
    14.30 Fraggle Rock
    15.00 The Worst Witch
    15.30 Woof!
    16.00 Dramarama
    16.30 Press Gang
    17.00 The Tomorrow People (90′s Version)
    17.30 Children’s Ward

Sunday, January 6

09.25 Mike & Angelo
    09.50 Spatz
    10.10 Huxley Pig
    10.30 Rainbow
    10.50 Button Moon
    11.05 The Riddlers
    11.15 Rosie & Jim
    11.35 Dangermouse
    12.00 Sooty & Co
    12.25 How 2
    12.40 Finger Tips
    13.00 Jungle Run
    13.30 Fun House
    14.00 Knightmare
    14.30 Fraggle Rock
    15.00 My Parents are Aliens
    15.30 Woof!
    16.00 Dramarama
    16.30 Press Gang
    17.00 The Tomorrow People (90s Version)
    17.30 Children’s Ward
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people replying to this news item via facebook have got a nerve. Saying this will be the adults tuning in and the kids tuning out.

Well excuse me but last time I checked it wasent the kids that dictate what gets watched on tv its the parents.

Like it or lump it kids it will be 2 days of fantastic tv for a change. This will deffinately be on all day. Cant wait.

I wonder which episodes they will be airing.
    Forum Member
    Some people replying to this news item via facebook have got a nerve. Saying this will be the adults tuning in and the kids tuning out.

Well excuse me but last time I checked it wasent the kids that dictate what gets watched on tv its the parents.

Most kids will have their own TV anyway so it won't make any difference even in my day I had one.

On a side note I'm not sure I want to watch some of these take T Bag as that to me is the kind of show where you have to watch it through if I just watch one I know I will want to watch the rest
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is fantastic news.

I tended to be about half and half with CBBC/CITV and watched many of the shows which are due to be repeated.

I'd better clear some space on my hard drive!
  • philenglandphilengland Posts: 8,176
    Forum Member
    would be a good idea to maybe extend CITV and show things like this in the evening for is older folk to watch things we grew up with! (wait .... wasn't ITV3 set up for showing classic series??)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    would be a good idea to maybe extend CITV and show things like this in the evening for is older folk to watch things we grew up with! (wait .... wasn't ITV3 set up for showing classic series??)

I'd also like the CBBC channel to repeat shows broadcast more than 10 years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most kids will have their own TV anyway so it won't make any difference even in my day I had one.

On a side note I'm not sure I want to watch some of these take T Bag as that to me is the kind of show where you have to watch it through if I just watch one I know I will want to watch the rest

Not every kid has a tv in their bed especially not a 5 year old. Thats where parents go wrong and they wonder why they confine themselves to their bedroom at a later age.

I never watched T-Bag when it was on the telly all those years ago. I guess whatever time it was on I was probably watching something on CBBC like Ulysses or something.

I do miss the times when Nick Jr on sky would do a classics hour at 9pm a few years ago where you could regulary catch Button Moon & Rainbow each night. Most of these shows havent been seen in years and its about time they came on regulary.

Then again if I had my way id ban all loan and insurance adverts and replace them with PIFs from the 1980s because tv people these days dont really care about kids when they should be putting Dont talk to Strangers or look left, look right but you never see them these days.

The kids shows sometimes had great messages for kids as well as learning too but todays programmes seem to have forgotten the message or they simply dont care.
    Forum Member
    Liparus wrote: »
    I'd also like the CBBC channel to repeat shows broadcast more than 10 years ago.

20 in my case
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not every kid has a tv in their bed especially not a 5 year old. Thats where parents go wrong and they wonder why they confine themselves to their bedroom at a later age.

I never watched T-Bag when it was on the telly all those years ago. I guess whatever time it was on I was probably watching something on CBBC like Ulysses or something.

I do miss the times when Nick Jr on sky would do a classics hour at 9pm a few years ago where you could regulary catch Button Moon & Rainbow each night. Most of these shows havent been seen in years and its about time they came on regulary.

Then again if I had my way id ban all loan and insurance adverts and replace them with PIFs from the 1980s because tv people these days dont really care about kids when they should be putting Dont talk to Strangers or look left, look right but you never see them these days.

The kids shows sometimes had great messages for kids as well as learning too but todays programmes seem to have forgotten the message or they simply dont care.

The trouble with repeating T-bag is that each episode was part of a story, unlike say Mike and Angelo which told one off stories each week.

I agree very much with the last paragraph. Raggy Dolls which is being shown that weekend sold the message that you don't have to look a certain way to be successful or get by.
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish a channel would show SMTV : LIVE ! right from the beginning
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish a channel would show SMTV : LIVE ! right from the beginning

No, no, you want Live and Kicking right from the beginning.
    Forum Member
    Wacaday for me TV had not been the same since Timmy Mallett left our screens
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    No, no, you want Live and Kicking right from the beginning.

No, no. I want the gorgeous Cat Deeley. I want Wonkey Donkey. I want C*H*U*M*S.
    :D
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday, January 5

09.25 Mike & Angelo
    10.15 Wizadora
    11.05 The Raggy Dolls
    11.35 Count Duckula
    12.25 Art Attack
    13.00 Finders Keepers
    13.30 Fun House
    14.00 Knightmare
    15.30 Woof!

Sunday, January 6

09.25 Mike & Angelo
    09.50 Spatz
    10.10 Huxley Pig
    11.05 The Riddlers
    11.15 Rosie & Jim
    11.35 Dangermouse
    12.00 Sooty & Co
    12.25 How 2
    12.40 Finger Tips
    13.00 Jungle Run
    13.30 Fun House
    14.00 Knightmare
    15.00 My Parents are Aliens
    15.30 Woof!

I've left in the shows I'll be interested in watching.

I loved Jungle Run and My Parents Are Aliens when they started, I hope it's early episodes of these.

Mike and Angelo was awesome as well, one of the best opening credits I remember as a child
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10.30 Rainbow
    10.50 Button Moon
    11.15 Rosie & Jim
    14.30 Fraggle Rock (American)

If I am not mistaken some of these were ITV lunchtime for pre-school kids, not CITV, I was a typical BBC1 viewer, though I did watch How?, Danger Mouse Count Duckula etc...