Gazza back in rehab

Comments

• radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    So sad.. he's a flawed genius.

Can't help but think if he had a stronger manager..

I disagree. He was a good footballer once and now... well we can all see. This does not make him a genius.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    Alcoholism is a terrible disease, unless you experience it yourself either through being an alcoholic yourself or seeing a love one who is addicted to drink then it is impossible to know the impact the disease can have on an individual and there families. The next drink for an alcoholic is as important as the next breath for a 'normal' person. Yes a person can stop drinking if they really want to and they are really determined but the odds are against it long term. 80% of people who stop drinking, will of restarted Drinking within a year.

Alcoholism has no boundaries, as a Doctor or a lawyer can as easily become an Alcoholic as someone who is out of work and living on the streets. A common misconception is that an Alcoholic is a tramp who Drinks Vodka and Cider on a street corner at 9 o Clock in the morning, when the reality is more and more middle class people who go through 2 to 3 bottles of wine a night, have a big alcohol problem.

Also a major problem for an alcoholic who is trying to stop, is that if they are Drinking high levels of Alcohol daily then they can't stop just like that, as the person could end up having seizures or even in some cases die. It is not as easy as people say, they can't just stop. A person can only have a chance of stopping drinking if they want to, no doctor, family members, work colleagues or friends can stop an alcoholic drinking if they want to continue, just like Sir Alex Ferguson could not of stopped Gazza drinking, if he had joined Man. Utd instead of Spurs all them years ago, as alcoholics are fantastic liars when it comes to drinking.

Gazza is in the fight of his life and i think it will be one that he ultimately looses as he is not ready to stop drinking and i think he is beyond help, although i hope he proves me wrong. I hope Gazza can beat his demons but sadly i'd be surprised if he does as Alcoholism is a life long illness for an alcoholic.

Sad but so true.:(
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor bugger. Can't see him lasting much longer; he acknowledges that he should stop drinking - but he can't.

His Management should not be allowing him to do anything but getting professional help. If he refuses that then he still shouldn't be allowed to give personal appearances.

There's only one way this is going to end.
    :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The guy obviously has ADHD so he should be getting treated for it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sad to see. Alcoholism is a terrible thing. I hope rehab helps him, but he's a long way gone already.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think one of the problems give Gazza is, is his head, he's still a 10 year old boy who just wants to kick a ball 24/7. He's never grown up and, since he left football, has no idea what to do to fill his days.
    He isn't reliable enough to work in coaching or be a pundit but just being involved in the game could have given him something to get out of bed for. It's a vicious circle and it's all to late now I feel.

My brother went to a football day when he was about 7-8 years old and Gazza was there. That day remains one of the best days of his childhood. He said Gazza could not do enough for the kids and, unlike some of the other players who were there because they had to be, he felt that he really wanted to be there playing with the kids.

I agree with Pru, this is only going to end one way. Sad thing is, when the inevitable does happen, the footballing powers that be will all be asking what they could have done, when really they should have been trying to do more years ago.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thing is, there are people in the business trying to help him. Tony Adams has offered support through his own charity....and he's someone who's been there and come out the other side.
    Gazza really does need to want to be helped and to help himself, as do all addicts. The support would be there if he really wanted it. From what I've been reading recently, though, his immediate circle seems to be full of 'enablers' and that won't be helping.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see a vidio of him on FB today . Made me feel very sad and ive never been a fan of the man

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4776338/Tragic-Paul-Gascoigne-on-video.html#ooid=E1aTMxOTpA6dMs_qRa0lym8klBHLD_z4
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I think one of the problems give Gazza is, is his head, he's still a 10 year old boy who just wants to kick a ball 24/7. He's never grown up and, since he left football, has no idea what to do to fill his days.
    He isn't reliable enough to work in coaching or be a pundit but just being involved in the game could have given him something to get out of bed for. It's a vicious circle and it's all to late now I feel.

I think you're right there. I'm no big football fan myself, but my OH made me watch his Life Stories episode with Piers Morgan and I learnt a lot about him that I didn't know, and found myself starting to like him. I feel very sorry for him.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see a vidio of him on FB today . Made me feel very sad and ive never been a fan of the man

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4776338/Tragic-Paul-Gascoigne-on-video.html#ooid=E1aTMxOTpA6dMs_qRa0lym8klBHLD_z4

That is so sad to see.:(
  • TipptopTipptop Posts: 991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    So sad.. he's a flawed genius.

Genius, when was he ever a genius, seems you've been reading too many newspaper reports through rose tinted glasses.

Gazza thinks the world owes him a big favour and does his best to publicise the fact as often as he can, wife beater, drunk, drug taker, ah but it's poor Gaza poor thing he's misunderstood.
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw him in Newcastle train station a couple of years ago, he looked tiny and very vulnerable, like a gust of wind could take him away. It's very sad.
  • Pickle2012Pickle2012 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I read his autobiography a few years ago and as someone said earlier, he has never really grown up. What I found really sad tho was those that he should have been able to trust where just using him, taking his money etc, if you cant rely on your own family who can you rely on. He had no support whatsoever, everyone in his life has used him, its so sad. Im not a football fan but I do feel really sorry for him and he needs someone who will look after him and be thinking of him rather than thinking of themselves and what they can get out of him. Lets hope he gets the help he needs.
  • AudioRebelAudioRebel Posts: 32,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not looking good for him.Shame really.
  • Pickle2012Pickle2012 Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Another thing, why does his ex wife and her children (who aren't his kids) keep his surname? Again using his name for a bit of fame and to make money off him! If my mother had been battered by an ex partner and then divorced him there is no way I would take or keep his surname.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor bugger. Can't see him lasting much longer; he acknowledges that he should stop drinking - but he can't.

His Management should not be allowing him to do anything but getting professional help. If he refuses that then he still shouldn't be allowed to give personal appearances.

There's only one way this is going to end.
    :(

I can't believe they actually let this go ahead. How could they possibly have throught this was a good idea? Even allowing for sympathy and goodwill towards him, this is just totally irresponsible. Just too sad to watch.
  • Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's said in the past he doesn't want to end up like George Best. Sadly it looks as if that might happen.

The difference between Gazza and Best is that Best was a drunk who didn't want to stop, but Gazza is a man with many mental health problems - bi-polar, depression and perhaps Tourette's.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »

My brother went to a football day when he was about 7-8 years old and Gazza was there. That day remains one of the best days of his childhood. He said Gazza could not do enough for the kids and, unlike some of the other players who were there because they had to be, he felt that he really wanted to be there playing with the kids.

I agree with Pru, this is only going to end one way. Sad thing is, when the inevitable does happen, the footballing powers that be will all be asking what they could have done, when really they should have been trying to do more years ago.

That's really sweet. Despite all his obvious publicised problems, I've always thought he had a good heart. Yes, OK, there's no excuse for domestic violence etc and I'm not putting that in the same bracket, but I think he genuinely is a lost soul.
  • My Sweet LifeMy Sweet Life Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoLuc wrote: »
    I have. My mother.
    She ****ed up 5 sons.
    I have no sympathy with any selfish alcoholic.
    So shove it!!!

Since this thread has been bumped I have had the opportunity to read this reply to my earlier post.

I lost three close family members in ten years and alcohol played a part in each. Thanks a bunch. Not entirely sure what you want me to shove, or where, but thanks none the less.
  • Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since this thread has been bumped I have had the opportunity to read this reply to my earlier post.

I lost three close family members in ten years and alcohol played a part in each. Thanks a bunch. Not entirely sure what you want me to shove, or where, but thanks none the less.

I'm so sorry for your losses My Sweet Life,from personal experience too i wish alcohol wasn't so readily available,people don't realise the thin line between enjoying having a drink and having a problem with alcohol :cry:-i do hope you are ok x:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're right there. I'm no big football fan myself, but my OH made me watch his Life Stories episode with Piers Morgan and I learnt a lot about him that I didn't know, and found myself starting to like him. I feel very sorry for him.

I saw that show it was good..but i felt sorry for his ex wife, his kids... and the people around him.

We are all to blame those that book him for appearances and fuel his habit. Im sure if the media was "so concerned" about him they would stop papping him stop booking him and cut his money off... let him get to rehab sadly I feel he is past the point of saving...
  • Ella71110Ella71110 Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i read this post on the Daily Mail comments and its about basically what i wanted to say but the person worded it perfectly to how i think...

Addiction does not discriminate, an addict is an addict whether they are getting their kicks in the house, down the pub or in the park. The only difference between the one lying comatose in the park and the respectable neighbours next door is that the neighbours probably can afford better quality wine. It is not easy to give up an addiction, that is the whole point of the word. There is always an excuse to have another drink, whether its because you are feeling down/happy/going out/staying in/reading a book/family coming round/just received bad news/good news. The list is endless. He looks on the edge ready to fall off. He may think he is invincible because his liver is still functioning - just. Or does he have cirrohsis and is now past caring?He must have had a liver scan by now, so must know what state his liver is in. Being an addict is not something you choose to do, it just happens. One glass becomes 2, a bottle a week becomes a nightly one. Hope he battles through this :(
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There but the grace of God go I. I may not wish to drink that much but I could afford to even if I did so who knows what I would be like if I was rich.

PJ
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found that video so upsetting to watch. :(

I've always had the opinion that Gazza is a very good hearted person, despite his demons and problems over the years. It's tragic to see him in such a bad way.

I really hope he can get help once and for all but sadly I think it's probably too late for him. :(