The Queen of British Pop.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again everyone is entitled to an opinion but its just that no fact.

I personally aren't a fan of Lily Allen i may have the odd opinion but i wouldn't waste my time commenting on pretty much every thread involving her name.

Most people's opinions on Geri aren't simply true either. Now when i or OP or others have listed some of Geri's achievements they are simply ignored or somehow seen in a negative light. Again like i said before Lily Allen i don't know a lot about her career so i couldn't just go on a forum hating for the sake of it & having a lame opinion. Geri a pop puppet!!! My goodness...
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    oh dear, she's been partially "dethroned" by a former work colleague.:eek: even so, she can still be happy in the knowledge that she is up there with elvis with her consecutive string of #1 hits, so she keeps that part of her "title" in tact.:D although, elvis's last string of #1 singles charted more recently than hers.:o

Er, up there with Elvis? Nooooooooo. :D
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny that in a place (DS music forum) where any old rubbish pop music is discussed and hold in a positive light - Geri is laughed at. She truely is bottom of the barrel music!
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    Again everyone is entitled to an opinion but its just that no fact.

I personally aren't a fan of Lily Allen i may have the odd opinion but i wouldn't waste my time commenting on pretty much every thread involving her name.

Most people's opinions on Geri aren't simply true either. Now when i or OP or others have listed some of Geri's achievements they are simply ignored or somehow seen in a negative light. Again like i said before Lily Allen i don't know a lot about her career so i couldn't just go on a forum hating for the sake of it & having a lame opinion. Geri a pop puppet!!! My goodness...

I never said my comments were fact, they are opinion and presented as such.. Spice Girls were a media created hype who yes sold a lot of albums around the world but they were puppets, a group signed up to release what they were told and make a record label a lot of money, Geri as a solo artist just branched off from the SG and attempted to become her own brand which failed after her first album, IN MY OPINION
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never said my comments were fact, they are opinion and presented as such.. Spice Girls were a media created hype who yes sold a lot of albums around the world but they were puppets, a group signed up to release what they were told and make a record label a lot of money, Geri as a solo artist just branched off from the SG and attempted to become her own brand which failed after her first album, IN MY OPINION

I understand your point but those girls had a lot of control going on. Song-writing concepts etc. I've listed plenty of achievements for Geri & The Spice Girls. Now they way the were marketed & endorsed products OK fine but again they did the heavy lifting in their career & so did Geri as a solo star. it would be nice for people to remember that Geri wrote her own music & is hard at work now doing the same. Yes she wasn't as successful as her first album but hey at least she didn't rely on others to write her music & she had her own ideas. I just feel that some of Geri's achievements get overlooked.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    I understand your point but those girls had a lot of control going on. Song-writing concepts etc. I've listed plenty of achievements for Geri & The Spice Girls. Now they way the were marketed & endorsed products OK fine but again they did the heavy lifting in their career & so did Geri as a solo star. it would be nice for people to remember that Geri wrote her own music & is hard at work now doing the same. Yes she wasn't as successful as her first album but hey at least she didn't rely on others to write her music & she had her own ideas. I just feel that some of Geri's achievements get overlooked.

I think everybody agrees she has done well, she had a good run of single success and #1s but were just not getting over excited and quite frankly over exaggerating her success in the way others are..

As others have said Mel C had had 11, she is the first artist to have a number one as a solo artist, duo, quartet and quintet, she also has sold 12 million records, her debut album alone sold 4 million but no one is claiming she is queen of British pop because there are artists that smash that claim to bits
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think everybody agrees she has done well, she had a good run of single success and #1s but were just not getting over excited and quite frankly over exaggerating her success in the way others are..

As others have said Mel C had had 11, she is the first artist to have a number one as a solo artist, duo, quartet and quintet, she also has sold 12 million records, her debut album alone sold 4 million but no one is claiming she is queen of British pop because there are artists that smash that claim to bits

Yes i understand that but not all success i mean as a talented song-writer as well but you've made some interesting points. Heavy lifting in her career but i just hope so people read my posts. Geri was included in the documentary Queens Of British Pop some of my posts are also about impact.

I posted about Melanie C further back too. Thank you for a polite discussion some people get quite personal etc & use ridiculous smilies as sarcasm but each to their own. They don't always wanna see other peoples points but that's OK.

On a separate note maybe when Geri releases new music if anyone wants to start up an appreciation thread I'd def post :)
  • kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a separate note maybe when Geri releases new music if anyone wants to start up an appreciation thread I'd def post :)

It's coming!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    It's coming!

I am very much looking forward to this!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not going to bash Meanie here, she is dedicated to music, she has stuck with it through good times and bad, she has a fantastic voice - branched out into musical theatre and has been nominated for an Olivier Award.

However, it's true that both Geri and Melanie C have both sold similar amounts as solo artists, vastly more than any of the other Spice Girls, though as a solo artist, Melanie has only actually achieved two number 1 solo songs, the rest were either as a featured artist and then her 9 with the Spice Girls.

Geri had 7 number one songs with the Spice Girls and 4 consecutive number one solo singles.

Anyway - they are both great, although very different, at what they do and so I don't want to start some silly competition.

I'm thrilled to see Melanie and Matt Cardle's new song doing so well on radio playlists right now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You really need to look into how the Spice Girls fought their way to a record deal, secured unprecedented control with regards to the ownership of their brand in their contracts with Virgin and the way that Geri in particular was in ultimate control of the group between 1994-1998.

To call The Spice Girls 'puppets' is just so lazy and couldn't be further from the truth.
    Of course they were marketted to death, but the 'individuality' aspect, which went on to become their iconic nicknames, came from the girls who recognised that nothing like that had been done before, 'Girl Power' was hijacked by Geri herself, and as for the advertising, marketing and media saturation, although masterminded eventually by the genius Simon Fuller, the girls said from day one that for two years they wanted to do as much as they could, make as much money and as Vicky B famously said in the early days "We want to be as famous as Persil Automatic."

The Sex Pistols were chained to a concrete contract with EMI which left them with barely any control... The Spice Girls negotiated contracts with Virgin that got a lot of people in the industry talking, and worrying! They managed to do this because by the time they signed with Virgin they had all but one of the major UK record labels desperate to sign them... it was pretty much a case of 'name your terms' when it came to signing the contracts.

Every person THEY hired was working for them - the group were not 'owned' by anyone. How else was Geri able to (foolishly) fire Simon Fuller at the peak of their success?

'the 'puppets' tag is actually offensive!
    if you actually took the time to find out the story of the group - you would surely have more respect for the sheer guts and balls they had... regardless of what you thought about their music or whatever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    Er, up there with Elvis? Nooooooooo. :D

Geri and Elvis Presley are, bizarrely, the only two solo artists to have achieve four consecutive number ones on the UK chart...

Obviously nobody would compare the two artists but the fact remains, and it's something Geri should be, and is very proud of!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very much looking forward to this!! :D

I don't think you'll be disappointed!

She has worked with some of the tried and tested Spice and early Geri producers as well as branching out to write with some amazing and respected writers and producers, Sam McCarthy, Dee Adam and Ed Sheeran's writing partner Amy Wadge.

Very eclectic but all very Geri.

It's more than my life's worth to give too much away! But I have heard a coupe of genuinely great pop songs which could be top 20 at least.

But as I said, I think her first single should be released to radio under an alias... Radio 2 would be all over it without the "eugh.. Geri Halliwell" tag.

G's not so keen on the idea.

We'll see.

Exciting times ahead!

But first, watch out for Geri on Australia's got Talent. It's hilarious and she comes across very well.

Australia's Got Geri
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you'll be disappointed!

She has worked with some of the tried and tested Spice and early Geri producers as well as branching out to write with some amazing and respected writers and producers, including Ed Sheeran's writing partner.

Very eclectic but all very Geri.

It's more than my life's worth to give too much away! But I have heard a coupe of genuinely great pop songs which could be top 20 at least.

But as I said, I think her first single should be released to radio under an alias... Radio 2 would be all over it without the "eugh.. Geri Halliwell" tag.

G's not so keen on the idea.

We'll see.

Exciting times ahead!

But first, watch out for Geri on Australia's got Talent. It's hilarious and she comes across very well.

Australia's Got Geri

Geri's never disappointed me so & i am very excited for this.
    I understand that with radio but with things like youtube etc i tunes nowadays you can get a reasonable hit without to much radio support. Back in the day with Desire they didn't support that so nowadays is slightly different but i agree with you perhaps a surprise would be great. I am looking forward to new Geri music & hopefully a new gig or mini concert :D
    I'm glad Australia are loving Geri! :)
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

i agree, the over exaggerations have been nauseating in parts of this thread for me, but no one has offered anything more than their opinion and most people agreed she had a good run of #1 hits. the thread has created a lot of constructive replies, because people aren't buying into this "queen of british pop" claim and so far very little has been revealed about her being "back". the thread largely fails from the opening post in that respect.

on a separate note, what a cheek some people have by insisting other forum members get personal in their comments.:eek: especially, when these people in glass houses suggest other forum members are "hating", wasting too much time writing "lame opinions" and have even been known to suggest other posters are in "denial" when the conversation isn't going their way.:rolleyes:
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People fanboying for Gerri Halliwell. Is this really what DS has come to? Ok, she had 4 number ones. But how many of those songs are actually remembered? Adele has had one number one but it's certainly going to live longer in the memory than any of Halliwell's efforts. Amy Winehouse never had a number one but she had an iconic album with three or four definite classics on it as well as a tragic story meaning she'll be remembered as a solo artist for far longer than Gerri. That's just two names I can think of in recent years but there are many more I could come up with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Using a broader range of objective criteria - the extent of the artist's creative input alongside critical acclaim, commercial success, and longevity - I would think the title 'Queen of British Pop' has to belong to Kate Bush. Among many other things, she's the only female artist to have hit singles and hit albums in each of the five decades since the 1970s.

All her albums and singles (aside from two tribute covers and 'Don't Give Up') have been self-penned, i.e. entirely composed by herself - not co-written by others - Kate has never needed or had to rely on co-writers; most of her albums and singles have also been entirely produced by her. Of her eleven albums, three reached No.1, three No.2, three No.3, and the remaining two reached number 5 and number 6. Her least commercially successful album achieved silver status and her three most successful albums went multi-platinum; most of her albums achieved at least platinum status.

She was the first female artist to have a No. 1 single with a self-penned song. Her 1980 album Never For Ever was the first studio album by a female artist to reach No. 1 and the first album by a female artist to enter the chart at No. 1. I think she's also the only female artist to have been nominated for a 'Best Producer' BRIT Award (1990). (Contrary to an earlier comment, Kylie clearly doesn't hold "every record and award going".)

Kate's been winning loads of awards, polls, etc since the commencement of her career. Here are some of her most recent achievements in this regard: Q Magazine Classic Songwriter Award (2001); Ivor Novello Award for Outstanding Contribution to British Music (2002); the South Bank Sky Arts Award for Best Album (2012 ) - the same 2011 album was also nominated for the Ivor Novello Best Album Award; in the BBC's Culture Show (2006) Kate came seventh in a poll for 'British Living Icon; in 2008 a Sunday Telegraph poll had her as 2nd 'Best British Songwriter of All Time'. This year she was awarded a CBE (a higher award than OBE or MBE).

Kate has also had significant input into her videos, even storyboarding and/or directing some of
    them. She is hugely respected and admired by her peers and continues to be a massive influence on a vast range of artists.

An original, pioneering, hugely gifted artist who, 35 years on since the start of her career, continues to enjoy critical acclaim, commercial success, the admiration of peers and music fans alike - and does it all on her own terms. Kate Bush: Queen of British Pop - and so much more besides!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comparing Geri and Kylie's solo careers is truly laughable. I don't even mind Geri but she had a tiny solo career. Number 1's or not.

Passion should have done better but by then Geri truly did not have a fan base left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't Kylie's last single peak at number 96?

Roaring fan base there!

Anyway Geri and Kylie had their own little debate on who was queen bee
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Kylie's last single peak at number 96?

Roaring fan base there!

Anyway Geri and Kylie had their own little debate on who was queen bee

yes, but the accompanying album was certified gold, not bad for a collection of reworked old material. geri would be lucky to chart that high with whatever she eventually releases.:yawn: rihanna got to #70 with a recent single, are you going to suggest she doesn't have much of a fanbase either?:sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reworked old material... I have to agree, that pillow face is just. no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reworked old material... I have to agree, that pillow face is just. no.

oh dear kenny, surely this is beneath even you?:o afterall, you did insist you are all about letting the "facts speak for themselves" and wouldn't "attempt mockery out of frustration".:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    oh dear kenny, surely this is beneath even you?:o afterall, you did insist you are all about letting the "facts speak for themselves" and wouldn't "attempt mockery out of frustration".:D

Nothing to do with being frustrated, Kylie was very successful in parts of the world for a long time. Good artist.

Although in my personal experience, she is quite a nasty piece of work!

Harsh comment before - but it's well deserved. She really does need to stop with the filler and botox. Awful.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Queens of British pop:
    1. Kate Bush
    2. Kylie (if she qualifies despite not being British)
    3. Dusty Springfield
    4. Annie Lennox
    5. Amy Winehouse

Adele hasn't been around long enough yet to get in there. Any discussion of any Spice girl is quite frankly a bit embarrassing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Queens of British pop:
    1. Kate Bush
    2. Kylie (if she qualifies despite not being British)
    3. Dusty Springfield
    4. Annie Lennox
    5. Amy Winehouse

Adele hasn't been around long enough yet to get in there. Any discussion of any Spice girl is quite frankly a bit embarrassing.

Dusty Springfield
    Sandie Shaw
    Marianne Faithfull
    Suzi Quatro
    Siouxsie Sioux
    Kate Bush
    Annie Lennox
    Alison Moyet
    Kylie Minogue
    Geri Halliwell
    Amy Winehouse
    Leona Lewis

The chaps over at the Beeb clearly didn't feel embarrassed to include, on prime time BBC One, one of the most iconic and influential females of the 90's in their timeline of 'Queens'....