Talksport Chat (Part 12)

Comments

• mgnsmgns Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Venetian wrote: »
    Surely not? There's a core of about seven regular posters on here, hardly representative of the wider audience.

Of course "to each their own" is an obvious statement but it's not like Talksport presenters are easy to like.

When the same opinions get repeated in every separate Talksport thread, year after year you start to think everyone must feel the same.

You hope things might 'improve' but when nothing changes/RAJARs come out, you get the reality check.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another nightmare day for the talkSPORT haters, who just can't bring themselves to press the 'off' switch and get on with their lives :D
    Maybe 90% of Talksport listeners as registered with RAJAR are infact the very people listening you describe! :p
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy244 wrote: »
    Me too I was there on the opening day and have listened ever since.
    I can do better than that Billy. I even listened to the test transmissions prior to day one on 14th February 1995! :o

Well for a few moments each day anyway. ;-)
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Previous to my earlier comments about how maddening the terrible TS jingles have become, I have now not listened to the station for about two weeks and feel quite good about it! I actually have gone to LBC, which is something different for me and I'm enjoying the change. I know they still have ads on there but they don't seem so intrusive - the only thing that does annoy me is the constant use of the tagline 'Leading Britains Conversation'.

Unless TS change their policy on jingles....the fact they have way too many and also that they are so damned annoying....I can't see me coming back aside from particular specials and maybe the occasional Saturday results shows.

i agree , the biggest turn-off for me and the reason I stopped listening to the station is because off the ads and jingles that unlike the shows you can't switch off.
  • Billy244Billy244 Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I can do better than that Billy. I even listened to the test transmissions prior to day one on 14th February 1995! :o

Well for a few moments each day anyway. ;-)

We better call it a draw then Rich cos I did too! .... this is one of my own original recordings from that time. :D

http://bit.ly/1ogWwpF

What two or three people on our thread possibly get wrong [not you] is think I hate this station and enjoy slagging it off for the sake of it, I loved this radio station before they ruined it with blanket regurgitated premier league football content and I'm determined to still be here when UTV have been bought out and gone, when it's put back to how it was with a mix of sport and general debate under new owners.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    We better call it a draw then Rich cos I did too! .... this is one of my own original recordings from that time. :D

What two or three people on our thread possibly get wrong [not you] is think I hate this station and enjoy slagging it off for the sake of it, I loved this radio station before they ruined it with blanket regurgitated premier league football content and I'm determined to still be here when UTV have been bought out and gone, when it's put back to how it was with a mix of sport and general debate under new owners.

billy i for one will be you when that happens,but im afraid could be a long time comeing,ive always said there must be some law that says you cant play that much ads,name checks,promos in 1 hour
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    What made me laugh with Boozio Brazil was that he had food poisoning from a lobster......but didnt stop him going for a FREE meal with mark bosnich that lunchtime.....Freeloader.
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What made me laugh with Boozio Brazil was that he had food poisoning from a lobster......but didnt stop him going for a FREE meal with mark bosnich that lunchtime.....Freeloader.

Ah but Big Al is a firm believer in the hair of the dog Paul;-) Not that I drink much these days but my handover cure is a crispy bacon sarney with tomato sauce (NOT brown sauce) .. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah but Big Al is a firm believer in the hair of the dog Paul;-) Not that I drink much these days but my handover cure is a crispy bacon sarney with tomato sauce (NOT brown sauce) .. ;-)

Oops, I was too late to edit my obvious mistake there, of course I meant hangover cure. But on reflection a 'handover' cure might be appreciated at TS?;-)
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,812
    Forum Member
    Don't hear from Ray Haughton very much...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely not? There's a core of about seven regular posters on here, hardly representative of the wider audience.

Agreed Ven there is a very small core of regular posters on here that are not happy with how things are on this station but I think it's only fair to also mention the hundreds upon hundreds of past posters on here no longer with us that were all up in arms regarding the state of the station. Factor in the masses of very unhappy people next door on TF, add the Facebook and Twitter pages set up in protest and disgust.
    Take into account they brag about 3.4m listeners when if it was run a lot better with a more sensible commercials policy and better presenters on every show that figure could be arguably more like double and 6.8m in a football-mad country of over 60m and they the only wall to wall football only national radio station in the entire land.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think AB was in the mood for a grandfunkmaster supping session yesterday after he went off air, last day of the week before the weekend and I know he promised Bosnich months back he'd give him a lesson how to make booze disappear next time he came to London [and we're not talking Ronnie Irani style here pouring it into ornamental plant pots when nobody's looking] bet Bozzy had a right XXXXing hangover this morning. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to reports elsewhere Mr Brazil is now banned from broadcasting from home in Suffolk it came from the man himself while on air talking to Johnny Vaughan sometime last week.
    What's he been doing wrong to get that treatment?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to reports elsewhere Mr Brazil is now banned from broadcasting from home in Suffolk it came from the man himself while on air talking to Johnny Vaughan sometime last week.
    What's he been doing wrong to get that treatment?.

Yep, can verify that Billy, heard Big Al say that with my own ears. Also heard from Big Al's own lips last week that he has become a granddad to a little girl, which is lovely news:)
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also heard from Big Al's own lips last week that he has become a granddad to a little girl, which is lovely news:)

I heard him say that yesterday, but cant remember the girls name ! :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hope it's not Greek.
  • The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope it's not Greek.

it was !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was !

He's knackered then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Athina. Greek for sure:D
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Don't hear from Ray Haughton very much...

The reason why you never hear very much of Ray Houghton on talkSPORT during World Cups and European Championships is because he is RTE's main co-commentator, with them being the television broadcaster of those tournaments in the Republic of Ireland.

Unfortunately, Ray had to be taken to hospital with a blood pressure related illness ahead of the Netherlands v Costa Rica quarter-final that he was due to do co-commentary on and had to fly home early from Brazil, missing the semi-finals and final that he would have covered for RTE.

I think the last time we heard Ray on talkSPORT was when he co-hosted one of the World Cup Drive shows from Rio with Adrian Durham during one of the rest days before his illness. While I didn't listen to the Weekend Sports Breakfast this morning, I'm really pleased to hear that he was back presenting on the station and seems to be in better health now. I'm sure we'll hear much more of him on talkSPORT when the football season gets underway, he is often the co-host of Kick Off on Tuesday or Wednesday nights when it is a discussion programme, Around the Grounds or a League Cup night. He also does the odd co-commentary for them, mostly on their FA Cup coverage.
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackyork wrote: »
    i agree , the biggest turn-off for me and the reason I stopped listening to the station is because off the ads and jingles that unlike the shows you can't switch off.

For me the humorous promos are the best thing about the station. I heard a hilarious one parodying the Dr Brian chap the other day. They're original, inventive, quirky, well executed, interesting and genuinely funny - in fact all the things that much of TalkSpurt (sic) is not, with a few honourable exceptions like Danny Kelly.

Unfortunately TalkSpurt won't change for a very long time if ever. Commercial stations in the deregulated UK market aren't generally concerned with quality - they're far more worried about feeling the width. Their energy is therefore naturally going to be concentrated into maximising the sort of results which can be measured by RAJAR. As a consequence TalkSpurt often sounds to me like the Speech equivalent of Global Radio's music stations - very clever at what they do in terms of maximising a target audience, but highly unlikely to be remembered fondly in twenty years time as a stellar creative achievement. Essentially this sort of radio is a mass-market commodity, just like a cheap brand of hairspray. Does the job, as far as it goes, but is disposable with a capital "D".

Put it this way - come the 50th anniversary of the likes of TalkSpurt and Heart, you can no more imagine entertaining and absorbing retrospective documentaries and articles fondly recalling their legacy than you can imagine similar fond memories about the heyday of Tesco's selection of frozen yogurt.
  • carnivalistcarnivalist Posts: 4,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with the sentiment, but unless the regulatory regime radically changes varied formats are not going to return in any form of commercial radio. Do you believe LBC will ever return to it's heyday of the eighties?

I'm told that the old IBA used to have quite stringent requirements even for such things as sound quality whereas OFCOM is essentially little more than a business regulator. Radio doesn't exist in a vacuum - it's hardly going to be immune to the rush to capitalist free-market fundamentalism that has transformed all areas of life since Thatcher.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first ever post on DS was in a Talksport thread, I was probably praising H&J, I'm incredibly dull and rarely change.

Sorry that post was apropos of nothing really.:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first ever post on DS was in a Talksport thread, I was probably praising H&J, I'm incredibly dull and rarely change.

Sorry that post was apropos of nothing really.:blush:

Sean you are incredibly loyal to H&J that is fact and is to be admired, as you well know I just can't see anything in them myself even though I've tried hard but I will always respect your view on them just wanted to say that. :p
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the sentiment, but unless the regulatory regime radically changes varied formats are not going to return in any form of commercial radio. Do you believe LBC will ever return to it's heyday of the eighties?

The regulatory requirements for the INR3 licence (1053/1089 AM) haven't altered since the station launched in 1995, the only requirement is for a minimum of 51% speech. Beyond that it's up to the licence operator what they do with it. UTV might sell it if they get the right offer, but it's more likely to go to one of the US sports radio companies such as ESPN, as that's where the big profits are for this licence.

Varied formats are not going to return because there is no need for them, you don't need an hour of classical music or an hour of rock on an ILR station, you can just dip into Classic FM or Planet Rock if that's what you want to listen to. If someone wants to launch a commercial news/current affairs station they can do that on Digital 2 next year, and it might even be UTV.
This discussion has been closed.