Ellie Goulding to Re-release album as Halycon Days

LMLM Posts: 63,318
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a495921/ellie-goulding-confirms-repackaged-album-halcyon-days.html

Announced a few days ago, Ellie is re-releasing Halcyon with 10 new tracks.

One of them is called Burn which will be her next single.

Comments

• Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still incredibly annoyed. At 10 tracks just releae a new album. Plus the new single is her worst to date behind only her cover of Your Song.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Yeah I'm not happy about this, I will give it a listen upon release but I'm not really excited. Halcyon is such a brilliant record it should have been left alone. As you've said hav, it should have been an EP
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadKid95 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not happy about this, I will give it a listen upon release but I'm not really excited. Halcyon is such a brilliant record it should have been left alone. As you've said hav, it should have been an EP

It's kind of a case of most of the new material doesn't fit with the otiginal album what we have heard anyway. And at 10 tracks juts release it a s a seperate EP at a lower cost to be fair to fans who have supported her.
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    It's kind of a case of most of the new material doesn't fit with the otiginal album what we have heard anyway. And at 10 tracks juts release it a s a seperate EP at a lower cost to be fair to fans who have supported her.

It's not consistent! That's the phrase I've been looking for!!

I find re-releases tend to do more damage than good, The Fame Monster being an exception. Why do so many artists do them? Nobody ever used to do them did they? Up until the 00s (though I may be wrong)

It's basically saying we care more for commercial achievement than artistic achievement. I still really like Ellie but I have lost some respect for her
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not consistent! That's the phrase I've been looking for!!

I find re-releases tend to do more damage than good, The Fame Monster being an exception. Why do so many artists do them? Nobody ever used to do them did they? Up until the 00s (though I may be wrong)

It's basically saying we care more for commercial achievement than artistic achievement. I still really like Ellie but I have lost some respect for her

totally if youn think about she now doesn't have soley 1 album but succesion of standards deluxes and re-releses with varying dgrees of success and quality.

And it is a way to expolit fans and fill up the coiffers with no concern or care for anyhting else. It's such an annoying trend.

I just find it increible in the space of a year she ahs gone fromsongs like My Blood, Anything Could Happen, Explosions, and atlantis etc to releasing a song like Burn it's an incredible drop in quality.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's just re-releasing it to shift up sales of the original (or combine them) and to ride the momentum of I Need Your Love. She would have released a new album but she hasnt been away long enough to raise up the hype of a new album coming out in this market so it makes commercial sense for her new material to be counted as add-on sales to the last album. If it wasnt due to that loophole I'm sure she would have started promo for a new album beforehand.
    Forum Member
    totally if youn think about she now doesn't have soley 1 album but succesion of standards deluxes and re-releses with varying dgrees of success and quality.

And it is a way to expolit fans and fill up the coiffers with no concern or care for anyhting else. It's such an annoying trend.

I kind of understand it with Lights, she wanted to break America so she required an updated interest. I don't think it was needed here however, Your Song could have just been a stand alone single and Lights remix a US only considering this country didn't bat an eyelid in the end. She has her US success though now so Halcyon does not need this

You can tell by Burn that it has been rather rushed, not up to the standard of the Halcyon songs. It's annoying that these tracks will coupled together with them...though I shouldn't be so prejudice, I will need to listen to them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kind of understand it with Lights, she wanted to break America so she required an updated interest. I don't think it was needed here however, Your Song could have just been a stand alone single and Lights remix a US only considering this country didn't bat an eyelid in the end. She has her US success though now so Halcyon does not need this

You can tell by Burn that it has been rather rushed, not up to the standard of the Halcyon songs. It's annoying that these tracks will coupled together with them...though I shouldn't be so prejudice, I will need to listen to them

Whats annoying about that though is Bright Loghts never had an official US releas but a combined US version of tracks from both. I was reading another thread just now and in regards to the Halcyon era all ediotions combined there are now over 30 songs recorded. What ithink she should have done is a KP style thing in which she collects all the extra songs off all the seperate editions adds 3 new songs and calls it Halcyon the Complete collection.

But also in that thread it said she would be releasing Halcyon Days as a stand alone for thos ewho have Halcyon i hope so. i never understand why they don' though. Surely for those who have Halcyon will welcome and buy new material sperately at a lower cost, And then newbies and die hards will spend more for a doble collection of what amounts to two albums.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I generally despise the trend of re-releasing unless it's done in a really special way like Lana Del Rey did with her Paradise edition. For the most part it is the most insulting way to treat music buyers ever. The day re-releases became a thing everyone started doing a bit of heart died somewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I generally despise the trend of re-releasing unless it's done in a really special way like Lana Del Rey did with her Paradise edition. For the most part it is the most insulting way to treat music buyers ever. The day re-releases became a thing everyone started doing a bit of heart died somewhere.

But as a UK fan that riles me even more as we are never treated to the seperate EP. Re-releases in any form are way to short change and exploit music buyers. It's a sure fire way to help the illegal down load trend as people will think why should i buy it whn you'll re-release anyway.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    List of all songs on various editions of Halcyon:

Don't Say A Word
    My Blood
    Anything Could Happen
    Only You
    Halcyon
    Figure 8
    Joy
    Hanging On
    Explosions
    I Know You Care
    Atlantis
    Dead In The Water
    I Need Your Love
    Hanging On (Feat. Tinie Tempah)
    Ritual
    In My City
    Without Your Love
    The Ending
    High For This
    Stay Awake
    Burn
    Goodness Gracious
    You My Everything
    Hearts on Chains
    Got It Under Control
    Flashlight
    How Long Will I Love You
    Tessellate
    Midas Touch
    Lights*
    Your Song*

* According to wiki, these two songs appear on deluxe versions of some international releases of Halcyon.

31 songs!!
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don't see the fuss personally. an ep would only be about £3 or perhaps £4 cheaper really, so beyond that minimal expense, i don't understand the negativity really. the album has gone platinum, but the momentum is likely to burn out at some point in the not too distant future with no other singles planned.

this way the campaign can continue a while longer and encourages more sales. also, people blaming ellie are being a bit harsh in my honest opinion. the record company would have sanctioned this re-release and beyond refusing to comply, which would be in breach of her record deal, there is little she could do about it really. the music industry is a business first and foremost and of course the labels care more for commercial achievement over artistic achievement. also, if a new ep was released at this point separate from the album, then it would probably kill interest in the album, which was only released last year and surely that cannot be the best way forward.

the fans have plenty of choices. buy the album again upon release and foot the extra cost or wait until there is a deep discount later on, you can buy both versions of "lights" and a copy of "halcyon" currently on amazon for just £14.46. if the material is not up to scratch, then simply don't purchase the updated album or just cherry pick the best new tracks from itunes or amazon. i don't agree fully with re-releases personally, but there is more choices these days for fans to purchase the music they want.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the industry suits who despair at illegal downloading need to look no further than unfair US - UK differences in releases and re-released albums. I'm convinced if they were fairer and didn't take the true music fans for morons illegal downloads would reduce a hell of a lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the industry suits who despair at illegal downloading need to look no further than unfair US - UK differences in releases and re-released albums. I'm convinced if they were fairer and didn't take the true music fans for morons illegal downloads would reduce a hell of a lot.

what exactly are these unfair differences between the uk and the us?
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Putting the financial incentives of re-releases aside, I think it's because for artists the different albums have distinct different feelings and to put all these new tracks on a new album wouldn't fit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    what exactly are these unfair differences between the uk and the us?

It's the fact a US audience will nearly always get the choice of EP or double disc re-release see The Fame Monster and LDR's Paradise. I undrstand what your in regards to the price disparity between both EP and new album being of relatively little difference. But overall it would be less and you wouldn't end up with duplicate albums. I hate having to buy analbum twice for new music when it is just so easy to release it sepeartely.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the fact a US audience will nearly always get the choice of EP or double disc re-release see The Fame Monster and LDR's Paradise. I undrstand what your in regards to the price disparity between both EP and new album being of relatively little difference. But overall it would be less and you wouldn't end up with duplicate albums. I hate having to buy analbum twice for new music when it is just so easy to release it sepeartely.

ok, lets use lana del ray`s "paradise" as an example, the ep is on sale at amazon for $9.99 (£6.70) in the us, compared to £8 for "the paradise collection" over here and the same 2cd collection is selling at $19.56 (£13.13) in the us. so in this instance, the price difference between buying a new cd ep over there or buying the updated album over here is actually just £1:30 and the updated 2cd album is significantly cheaper over here. also, there is the option of purchasing the new tracks digitally or with this example, people can purchase an imported cd at the cost of £9.97 on amazon and £9.99 on ebay.

i appreciate that the cost is only one factor of frustration here and people want the choice like they have in the us, so perhaps that is something that should be addressed, even though we do have plenty of options already.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You have to wonder though

Is this Ellie's doing or her label? I respect people's opinions but let's not diminish her as an artist because this may not of even been her decision or idea. Labels can do what they want with albums whether the artist agrees to it or not. It's just up to that artist whether they promote or not.

Maybe Ellie is happy with the album, but the label want more commericial type songs and ordered her to do more songs. You never know really. An artist can't really stand up to the label without the fear of losing what they have achieved already, until they have fullfilled the contractual obligation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    ok, lets use lana del ray`s "paradise" as an example, the ep is on sale at amazon for $9.99 (£6.70) in the us, compared to £8 for "the paradise collection" over here and the same 2cd collection is selling at $19.56 (£13.13) in the us. so in this instance, the price difference between buying a new cd ep over there or buying the updated album over here is actually just £1:30 and the updated 2cd album is significantly cheaper over here. also, there is the option of purchasing the new tracks digitally or with this example, people can purchase an imported cd at the cost of £9.97 on amazon and £9.99 on ebay.

i appreciate that the cost is only one factor of frustration here and people want the choice like they have in the us, so perhaps that is something that should be addressed, even though we do have plenty of options already.

You guys pay more for music than we do anyway. A single for us is $1.29 (87p), but you pay 99p ($1.48). I never understood how that was fair.

Btw, did a single used to cost less for you? We used to pay 99cents up until maybe a few years ago.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 new tracks is a whole new album!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I quite like Burn so I will buy it, don't see why she didn't just release a new album though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    You guys pay more for music than we do anyway. A single for us is $1.29 (87p), but you pay 99p ($1.48). I never understood how that was fair.

Btw, did a single used to cost less for you? We used to pay 99cents up until maybe a few years ago.

Yes it used to be 79p :)

And GPK i think it is to do with choice. i always look at like this collectively i've bought the first single at 99p then the deluxe album at £12 and than i have to go out and buy the new collection for £8-10. It all adds up and you end up paying for the same thing twice. As a matter of choice and cost all new tracks off a re-release should be mad einto an EP.

Also it contributes to illegal DL no one wants to pay twice for the same product. So what will they do simply rip the new tracks. Because at the end of the day i have Halcyon i only want the new songs and if i can only get them buy repurchasing an already owned album then i'm sorry i'm just gonna rip em as buying them seperately off Itunes amounts to the same cost.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    I think some of the anger should be aimed at the label not Ellie herself. Just after she released Figure 8 she was asked about her next single (Excluding the unexpected success of Explosions) she said she has her fav song on the album and already have a video planned at set in Ski Lanka. If Ellie had a choice i'm sure she would of released that song (Probably My Blood or Only You) but obviously the label has had our ideas. Happens with a lot of artists with release dates, which songs have albums and so on. Shame really
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although according to reports there will be a stand alone EP released alongside the extended repackage of Halcyon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope she considers changing label once her contract's up. She's saying on twitter she's writing songs in her hotel room, why is she STILL on tour?! Seriously, is there anywhere she hasn't played this last year?