The Harry Hill Movie

JCRJCR Posts: 24,028
Forum Member
✭✭✭
And the Academy Award for best picture goes to.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_2Yde9RYiY

Out December 20th. Unclear at this point if it was made for tax write off purposes or not. ;)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    That looks diabolical, it actually makes the equally ill advised Keith Lemon movie look bearable...

I'm not a fan of his though, his nonsensical jabbering over the clips on You've Been Framed are painfully unfunny.
  • paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this tonight and it was actually not as bad as I thought it would be!

Absolute nonsense but a great ninety minute escape from reality.

There were even a few laugh out loud moments and any film that stars Julie Walters can't be too bad!
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    The trailer for this played to a packed house before my viewing of Anchorman 2 this week and it got ZERO reaction.

Looks absolutely diabolical, I don't know why Julie Walters would get involved in it.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks shocking. Im all for a bit of silly fun but this looks like it is aimed at pre school kids, and even they wouldnt find it funny.

The problem is, that you take Harry Hill out of tv burp, and his actual "comedy" is painfully unfunny. Look how he went down like a lead balloon at the Royal Variety a few weeks back.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This looks like this years Keith Lemon: The Film :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    The problem is, that you take Harry Hill out of tv burp, and his actual "comedy" is painfully unfunny

.. or maybe it isn't ..
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .. or maybe it isn't ..

In my opinion.............it is !
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV Burp was passable but his stand-up is woeful, but at least he's consistent, checkout the YouTube clip below of him doing stand-up back in 1992. Even then he wasn't funny, even with hair!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZYT-1tYRGc&feature=related

And his new movie looks shit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    TV Burp was passable but his stand-up is woeful, but at least he's consistent, checkout the YouTube clip below of him doing stand-up back in 1992. Even then he wasn't funny, even with hair!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZYT-1tYRGc&feature=related

And his new movie looks shit.

It is , believe me , it is.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping it's less itv, more channel four.....
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look how he went down like a lead balloon at the Royal Variety a few weeks back.

People weren't laughing?
  • RelugusRelugus Posts: 12,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This looks like this years Keith Lemon: The Film :D

The Keith Lemon movie sucks, and the Harry Hill movie sucks...but which is worse...there's only one way to find out...FIIIIGHT!!!
  • EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Kermode gives his opinion, unsurprisingly the words "not" and "laughing/funny" are used often in the same sentence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR3IcLeh8AY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVILSPEAK wrote: »
    Mark Kermode gives his opinion, unsurprisingly the words "not" and "laughing/funny" are used often in the same sentence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR3IcLeh8AY

'You mean he's saying things like, 'I was laughing not mirthless' and 'this film was funny, not like a lot of other films specially written for comedy TV stars'?

EDIT: I've just watched the review. No, he isn't saying stuff like that-quite the opposite in fact!
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Harry Hill and he's one of a few people that make me laugh these days but this movie makes me worried.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion.............it is !

Well in my opinion, as a long time fan of Harry, it isn't.

Isn't the subjectivity of humour a wonderful thing ? :)
  • drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....to those who've seen it

i'm a harry fan

esp the wacky channel 4 sketch show of the 90s...so will i enjoy the movie??
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    always amazes me how someone can build up alot of good will, with the audience, the industry, and critics, and then blow it on some vanity project like this.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    always amazes me how someone can build up alot of good will, with the audience, the industry, and critics, and then blow it on some vanity project like this.

Yeah, I'm a big harry hill fan but was filled with dread as soon as I heard about the film project. The musical he's doing next year sounds just as worrying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, I'm a big harry hill fan but was filled with dread as soon as I heard about the film project. The musical he's doing next year sounds just as worrying.

X Factor the Musical, isn't it? Talk about playing to the lowest common denominator. Wonder if the Knitted Characters or Wagbo will be in it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried watching this this afternoon. Huge, lifelong fan of Harry - saw him live many times before he really hit the big time and even spoke to him on a number of occasions (*gush* :D).

I was either half asleep or it was just absolutely god awful. It brought back horrible memories of Noel Fielding's show on E4. Just horribly, horribly unfunny.

I gave it 45 minutes and I had to stop. I might try it again one day, but it'll be a long, long time before that happens.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching trailers or clips from this, you could quite easily convince yourself that it might possibly be the worst movie ever. It's a horrible concept and a potential train wreck. As a fan of Harry from his Channel 4 show in the late 90s, right through the TV Burp years, I always felt like I had to go and see this, and I'm glad I did. Harry's humour has always been quite surreal, but over the years, probably as a result of his early evening ITV timeslot, he's also got a lot more childish. This movie had a combination of surreal, and childish, but was funny enough to get away it.

The plot is arbitary, and is really just there for a series of sketches or set pieces, but at less than 90 minutes you can just sit back and let the silliness in. The songs are daft, and there is some pretty awful acting, but it really doesn't matter - it's an rubbish movie, but it's tough to criticise it when that's what it's trying to be, and I actually really quite enjoyed it. There are also a couple of gags in there for the long term fan, which I also appreciated.
  • mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    harry was a cult comic who via tv burp found a way of appealing to a mass audience.but would a mass audience have enjoyed his channel 4 series?
  • broker2304broker2304 Posts: 776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sat down and watched this yesterday afternoon as I'd seen the mixed reviews and wanted to see for myself.

One thing struck me as I sat watching the end credits with the reams and reams of so called film professionals scrolling up the screen. Why could one of them not take Harry aside and say " Look, this really isn't working ". Are they all yes men ? Probably more of a case of keep your head down and just pick up the cheque.

A truly awful film made by people who (in theory) should know better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treefr0g wrote: »
    this movie makes me worried.

Why? Does Harry look like he's succumbing to cancer in it?