Playing it Straight making a return

Comments

• Monster101Monster101 Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know one of the twins so here's a spoiler:
    Sam is gay. He's also one of the most vile, horrible people I've ever met in my life. Was quite funny seeing him on this show as he's nowhere near as nice as he comes across on tv. The big shock...his twin brother Ben is also gay. This is where I think she'll mess up as I bet she's expecting one of them to be gay and one of them to be straight.
    oh my gosh. twins who are both gay? how bizarre. perhaps that would be further proof that you are born gay..
  • RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed this last night :)

Not too keen on Alan Carr's narrations, but he'll grow on me. I love the random singing mexicans :D
  • MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
    Forum Member
    I remember the original which I really enjoyed. I don't find it offensive. Didn't that guy leave cos he was already seeing someone ay home? I wish they would have got the original singer back he was hilarious...and Junen Pingpong.
    I've seen the original bird on an advert recently.... Isn't she presenting Take Me Out?? Ew just had a flashback to the guy breaking his arm on the last series arm wrestling
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Does any know who Kyle is? Like does he Facebook ha ??
  • javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does any know who Kyle is? Like does he Facebook ha ??

This is his twitter
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this last night! Alan Carr's commentary is just too funny! Had me in stitches throughout most of the show! :D

It's definitely cheese at it's best! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Don't know enough names etc but I'm surprised everyone thinks Sven is gay. The nonsense question about her childhood was straight out of some fast seduction/game book, I think he's a sleazy straight guy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    How could anyone not be keen on Alan Carr's narration he's amazing, he's making the show.

If I had to guess myself Andrei, Danny and Sven are probably straight. The rest are gay. I would put money on Ben being gay. Poor girl's gaydar is shit. You'd spot it from space.
  • magsy56magsy56 Posts: 2,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone fill me in on the last 10 minutes of the 1st episode - my Sky Plus did its own thing again.
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Where is the alternate version of this to counter discrimination of gay people?

Where is "Playing it Gay" - A show where straight males pretend to be gay and have to woo and convince a group of gay men that they are gay.

Wouldn't happen would it? Clearly showing that in this "Let's spot the gay" competition it is out and out discrimination of gay people.
    Forum Member
    MaxCherry wrote: »
    I remember the original which I really enjoyed. I don't find it offensive. Didn't that guy leave cos he was already seeing someone ay home? I wish they would have got the original singer back he was hilarious...and Junen Pingpong.
    I've seen the original bird on an advert recently.... Isn't she presenting Take Me Out?? Ew just had a flashback to the guy breaking his arm on the last series arm wrestling

Why not?

Why is it that gay people have to pretend to be what is seen as the correct sexuality?

It's a game in which they weed out the gay person, only in this version they stop short of putting them in the gas chambers as they did in WWII.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neda_Turk wrote: »
    Why not?

Why is it that gay people have to pretend to be what is seen as the correct sexuality?

It's a game in which they weed out the gay person, only in this version they stop short of putting them in the gas chambers as they did in WWII.

Oh give over, it's a tongue in cheek show :rolleyes:, I don't find it offensive at all. They don't exactly discriminate against gay people. If anything, it's good for showing that gay people don't follow a stereotype of being camp and feminine.
  • Caro07Caro07 Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is the alternate version of this to counter discrimination of gay people?

Where is "Playing it Gay" - A show where straight males pretend to be gay and have to woo and convince a group of gay men that they are gay.

Wouldn't happen would it? Clearly showing that in this "Let's spot the gay" competition it is out and out discrimination of gay people.

Sorry to take the wind out of your sails but there was such a programme it was called "Boy meets Boy", a gay guy had to wade through some straight guys to find the gay man of his dreams.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KillerJoe wrote: »
    Oh give over, it's a tongue in cheek show :rolleyes:, I don't find it offensive at all. They don't exactly discriminate against gay people. If anything, it's good for showing that gay people don't follow a stereotype of being camp and feminine.

Agreed.

On an unrelated point, I think Danny is gorgeous :o
  • bananashakebananashake Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam is gay. He's also one of the most vile, horrible people I've ever met in my life. Was quite funny seeing him on this show as he's nowhere near as nice as he comes across on tv. The big shock...his twin brother Ben is also gay. This is where I think she'll mess up as I bet she's expecting one of them to be gay and one of them to be straight.
    I'm not surprised. As they're identical twins they would be exposed to the same amount of testosterone in the womb - too much or too little testosterone is, apparently, why people are homosexual! And it's the shock factor the show needs. By the way - just out of interest - how do you know them?
    Forum Member

Either a gay man is camp or not as the case may be.

This is pretend you are fully straight as that's the correct way to be.

And it's offensive to men who are camp (whether straight or gay as that is portrayed as wrong)

It's still a "Spot and weed out the gay person" show, a reflection of what happens in real life - If you are out of touch with reality go look on here on every possible forum for the 100s of "Is XXXXX Gay?" Threads where people are obsessed with unearthing the gay, never the straight person.

Object all you like, I have reality on and fact my side whilst you just have a tacky show that you want to defend at any cost to anyone else.
  • Caro07Caro07 Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She now seems to think that
    both Sam and Ben are gay, but as you suggested she is not sure as it seems she was expecting one to be straight and the other gay - she is confused.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caro07 wrote: »
    She now seems to think that
    both Sam and Ben are gay, but as you suggested she is not sure as it seems she was expecting one to be straight and the other gay - she is confused.
    See I think it's obvious that Sam is gay, but maybe that's just because I know/knew him. I don't think he'll last much longer though as I think he's very camp.

I think Andre is definitely gay...maybe Dean too. The most difficult one for me is Danny...is he just an Essex boy or is he gay?!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is pretend you are fully straight as that's the correct way to be.

No. The show doesn't ask gay people to pretend to be straight because of any false ideas on "correctness", they ask them to pretend to be straight because they happen to be trying to play the game against a straight female. As another poster said on here, there have been shows where the reverse was shown (gay people trying to figure out who is straight).

The show sends a great message in my opinion, that you can't tell who is gay and who isn't based on any pre-conceived ideas about how a gay person might act. As someone who is actually gay myself, I think it's a fun show with a silly but harmless (possibly even helpful!) concept behind it.
    It's still a "Spot and weed out the gay person" show, a reflection of what happens in real life - If you are out of touch with reality go look on here on every possible forum for the 100s of "Is XXXXX Gay?" Threads where people are obsessed with unearthing the gay, never the straight person.

1. So what? People wondering about aspects of other people is natural. There is nothing inately wrong with wondering whether a person might be gay. That would be like calling someone racist for harmlessly wondering about another person's heritage. These are harmless questions, it's how people react to the answers that's important, and nothing about this show is sending a negative message with regards to that.

Pointlessly creating a climate of anxiety around topics like these (the "omg you can't ask that!" attitude) is actually a very good way to ensure taboos and misinformation thrive!

The only reason people wonder who is gay rather than wondering who is straight, is because gay people are a minority group. There is nothing wrong with that. If most people in a population are gay, people would wonder who might be straight, instead.

2. Shows like this help to show that speculating on another person's sexuality is a pretty fruitless pastime when it comes down to it, by showing that you cannot tell by observing someone's behaviour whether they are, or are not, gay. That's a helpful message for the gay community in my opinion.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,083
    Forum Member
    I remember the last series about 6 years ago...

I flicked onto the itv2 spin off show for take me out the other night and saw Zoe Harman presenting..it was driving me nuts trying to work out what show I had seen her on..last night the penny dropped..she was the first female on the UK show..too many things on a MOnday night..have been missing this..cant sky+ anything else...
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest, I'm watching it back as I recorded. I find that more of them seen more gay than straight, much moreso then the old series. It was impossible to guess the last time, but here I genuinely don't know who is straight in this! They all seem gay, bar 1.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vet seems to be the only nice guy in it. I can't tell whether he is gay or not.

They are ALL camp
  • Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched this last night! Alan Carr's commentary is just too funny! Had me in stitches throughout most of the show! :D

It's definitely cheese at it's best! :D

This, his commentary has made the show.

Did your last boyfriend buy you shit presents too? :D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    Sam & Ben are stunning, as is Danny... Hope all 3 are gay haha
  • Abigail88Abigail88 Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My gay friends got with two people from playing it straight :D He's a slag but he's hot, hoping for a hatrick this time round probably...

Anyway I have a fantastic gaydar...

Andrei, Sven, Dean, Levi STRAIGHT

Sam, Ben, Danny, and the other remaining guy are gay