Top Up TV, will it survive past 2013?

Comments

• NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oscar1 wrote: »
    Going back to the original header ---"Top Up TV, will it survive past 2013?" --- we now know the answer is a definate NOOOOO .
    Regards

never has a ds forum thread had a more definitive answer:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Is the 14 day guide on my Thomson box going to die now? It only goes up to next Wednesday. I'm not bothered myself, but my mrs won't impressed if all the series links stop working on the soaps lol.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    redmeister wrote: »
    Is the 14 day guide on my Thomson box going to die now? It only goes up to next Wednesday. I'm not bothered myself, but my mrs won't impressed if all the series links stop working on the soaps lol.

YUP. is dead. as a dodo.

sorry, I enjoyed writing that too much.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All the top up tv channels have gone on my freeview epg now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Hi all,
    loved my 2 boxes over the years and gutted that there will be no epg to record from. Never used TUTV but loved the box as a recorder of Freeview.
    anyone thought of a way to still record using time,date, length etc (like the old VCR days!)
    Failing that - what use for the boxes (once content watched)
    regards,
    Richard
  • oscar1oscar1 Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Still using my 2 boxes to record with using the EPG.
    Regards
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe someone will leak a more normal ROM for it.

USB slot?
    Forum Member
    Still using my 2 boxes to record with.
    Regards

Until Wed Oscar? or beyond? You going to share the knowledge?
    :(
    R
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Until Wed Oscar? or beyond? You going to share the knowledge?
    :(
    R

Menu

Set-up

Change your box settings

TV Guide Type

Use < > to switch between 8 day Freeview plus guide and the heritage top up tv guide.
    Forum Member
    Menu

Set-up

Change your box settings

TV Guide Type

Use < > to switch between 8 day Freeview plus guide and the heritage top up tv guide.

Ok. Ta Oscar. You can manually add a "timed" item but no EPG or programme name.
    Is that right or is there an EPG I'm missing (after Wednesday)
    R
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok. Ta Oscar. You can manually add a "timed" item but no EPG or programme name.
    Is that right or is there an EPG I'm missing (after Wednesday)
    R

Don't understand your problem. The settings described by TUTV Viewer get you the standard EPG available on the TUTV PVRs and any other Freeview box. It has always been there and will continue until the PVR dies for some other reason.
  • es6300es6300 Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    I've been getting TopUp services not available messages- please rescan.....

Not much of a problem, as I just ignore the message.

Maybe TUTV should have released a firmware update that rids the box of any TUTV stuff (lozengers, etc....)

Not a fan of the 8day EPG, and it appears that you cannot add a few mins either side of the scheduled recording.
    Forum Member
    misar wrote: »
    Don't understand your problem. The settings described by TUTV Viewer get you the standard EPG available on the TUTV PVRs and any other Freeview box. It has always been there and will continue until the PVR dies for some other reason.

I have no epg after Wed as I assumed that is what has been stopped being updated?
    Can you see progs on your EPG after that day? If so any idea why mine don't?
    cheers,
    Richard
    Forum Member
    I can see an EPG until next Sunday .........
    TV in use right now so can't check any further.
    Regards
    Forum Member
    I can see an EPG until next Sunday .........
    TV in use right now so can't check any further.
    Regards

Oh Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear!
    Sorry guys. I didn't wait long enough for 7day guide to download! What a plonker.
    It's the 14 day guide that's been pulled then? The 7day one works fine (once you are patient and wait!)
    Maybe they should put a nice message on the website before anyone goes out and orders TalkTalk youview box and contract like this idiot did.
    Oh well at least I'll have HD record and On Demand.
    Should have checked with you guys first eh?
    thanks again,
    Richard
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Guide has always worked fine on my brother's Thomson DTI 1000 - he removed his TopUp TV card a while back when he unsubscribed.
    Forum Member
    RichardLister.
    I ceased to sub to TUTV ages ago and when the hard drive died in 1 of my boxes I replaced it and found that all reference to TUTV disappeared --- this was before they went belly up.
    The box has worked faultlessly since.
    So has another box which was a heap of trouble when TUTV was being transmitted.
    There was a message of sorts on the site ---- they wanted people to sub to Sly !!
    Regards
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if anyone will buy the brand and resurrect it? WH Smith has bought the Past Times, Gadget Shop brands and most recently the Model Zone brand so I wouldn't rule some ne doing this if the price was right! Maybe a YouView or Freeview HD channel suite.
  • freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    I wonder if anyone will buy the brand and resurrect it? WH Smith has bought the Past Times, Gadget Shop brands and most recently the Model Zone brand so I wouldn't rule some ne doing this if the price was right! Maybe a YouView or Freeview HD channel suite.

The brand might have some value, I wouldn't be surprised if a company did buy rights to the name, even maybe someone like itv but I doubt we will see this brand back on our screens anytime soon.
    Forum Member
    Oh Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear!
    Sorry guys. I didn't wait long enough for 7day guide to download! What a plonker.
    It's the 14 day guide that's been pulled then? The 7day one works fine (once you are patient and wait!)
    Maybe they should put a nice message on the website before anyone goes out and orders TalkTalk youview box and contract like this idiot did.
    Oh well at least I'll have HD record and On Demand.
    Should have checked with you guys first eh?
    thanks again,
    Richard

Can someone confirm that the 14day EPG is not working and ONLY the 8Day one is or is it just me?
    I have the 8day working fine now but I just want confirmation that TUTV disappearing means the 14day guide goes with them.
    cheers,
    R
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the 8day working fine now but I just want confirmation that TUTV disappearing means the 14day guide goes with them.
    I thought that had been confirmed several times already on this very thread.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »

Why would anyone buy the brand? When you have all the other tv providers out there, its not going to be a tv provider again, so what else could you use 'TopUp TV' for?
    Forum Member
    Can someone confirm that the 14day EPG is not working and ONLY the 8Day one is or is it just me?
    cheers,
    R

Well I just tried to switch to the 14 day guide and guess what ?
    It won't let me so that answers that
    it ain't there any more.
    The 14 day guide gave me all manner of problems when TUTV were alive so switched to the 8 day ages ago to make the box as stable as I could without having to do power cycles on a regular basis.

Regards
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The brand might have some value, I wouldn't be surprised if a company did buy rights to the name, even maybe someone like itv but I doubt we will see this brand back on our screens anytime soon.

With how Top Up ended up I cannot see it being of interest to anyone any more to resurrect. I think the only way it could have been a serious contender is if it had the clout and channels that OnDigital/ITV Digital did , but once more Freeview channels appeared and Top Up reduced its service its days were numbered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone confirm that the 14day EPG is not working and ONLY the 8Day one

According To Ofcom, the licenssee for the Radio Times Extra EPG is here - this is he alternative EPG on my brother's DTI 1000 but he prefers the old one as it loads much more easily.

However as the email address is a topuptv.com one, I should think the license is about to be surrendered.