Britain's Brightest

Comments

• bargepolebargepole Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    exactly. surely if you know you're going on a show like that you'd have your times table down pat? 15x15 is hardly advanced mathematics, its not even gcse level.
    True, but doing it against other contestants and against the clock is totally different from pontificating from your armchair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    exactly. surely if you know you're going on a show like that you'd have your times table down pat? 15x15 is hardly advanced mathematics, its not even gcse level.

Possibly, not sure what they were expecting, although 15*15 was one of the tougher ones even with the technique and isn't a normal one to do. You don;t tend to go past 12 times table with mental arithmetic even before calculators.

Plus pressure in the studio...the guy who got it in the pilot just knew it but maths was his strong point...and basically just pressed the button as soon as he saw the equation.

I'm pretty good at maths but that one took some time to sort out.
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    britains dumbest more like.

biggest load of drivel i've ever seen. admittedly clair was pretty impressive at her times table, but that's something anyone with any reasonable level of practice could get down pat with the minimum of practice. hardly high-level brainpower stuff. throw in the poor mans catchphrase rip-off round, and it became embarrasing at times.

I even laughed when one poor old biddy couldn't get 15x15- and she's supposed to be a contender for britains brightest! laughable.

I'd love to see you have a go at some of those games. It was a great show.
  • elgransenor1elgransenor1 Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe as a gambler i'm used to sums like 15x15 :D

why not have some lateral thinking puzzles- maybe they think that would stretch the viewer too much, in any case simple multiplication sums seem very tedious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seemed like a very poor man's Krypton Factor with out the physical exertion.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people are focusing too much on the intelligence part, the show is not called Britain Best Genius, intelligence only counts for a small portion of the show.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I could easily work out 15x15, BUT, I doubt I could do it in a TV studio in a race against time. These people were not dumb. Give them a little credit. It was refreshing to see a game show that wasn't a talent contest, a singing contest or celebrities families! It featured members of the public focusing on difficult challenges in a TV studio against the clock.

That's what I thought. You could see some of them struggling to input the answer correctly as it was all a race against time as well as the audience's gaze bearing down on them.

It didn't even look like Clair used Rachel Riley's tip. Even at 85 x 85 and the one above that, she did them instantaneously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    people are focusing too much on the intelligence part, the show is not called Britain Best Genius, intelligence only counts for a small portion of the show.

In the pilot the guy explained that the rounds tested different types of intelligence e.g. the working out how old people are by looking at them.

Bright infers intelligence - and you hardly needed to be a genius to do the rounds. The problem is they all, at the start, were tested for different things and then the same things so as people have said if you have a certain leaning towards maths you might get through a bit easier.

It was a very bitty, messy programme even in it's cut down format. It seems they may have kept more people in later rounds than in the pilot I can't quite remember.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    It didn't even look like Clair used Rachel Riley's tip. Even at 85 x 85 and the one above that, she did them instantaneously.

Using the tips you could start to enter the answer as you were working the solution out even when you say instantaneously it still takes a few seconds to enter the answer which is enough to do the sum by the technique.
  • MikayMikay Posts: 10,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I thought. You could see some of them struggling to input the answer correctly as it was all a race against time as well as the audience's gaze bearing down on them.

To be fair, a maths graduate and teacher should be able to do 8*9 instantaneously.
    Forum Member
    Mikay wrote: »
    To be fair, a maths graduate and teacher should be able to do 8*9 instantaneously.

Yeah I guess so. She certainly had a clear advantage given the nature of the rounds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    IMO the only quiz show I know of where the questions are generally hard sometimes (i.e. actually require you to think properly), is University Challenge.

There was one recently that had something to do with maths, and all I remember at the end was "... expressed in multiples of pi".
    Forum Member
    N3DSFan wrote: »
    IMO the only quiz show I know of where the questions are generally hard sometimes (i.e. actually require you to think properly), is University Challenge.

There was one recently that had something to do with maths, and all I remember at the end was "... expressed in multiples of pi".

It's probably the toughest quiz show I've seen on telly, but then general knowledge doesn't really test intelligence. All you need to succeed at general knowledge quizzes are a good memory and the ability to recall facts quickly.

Britain's Brightest is trying to come up with questions that test intelligence but it's also trying to be a generic Saturday night entertainment show. For me, they seem to have got the mixture wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's probably the toughest quiz show I've seen on telly, but then general knowledge doesn't really test intelligence. All you need to succeed at general knowledge quizzes are a good memory and the ability to recall facts quickly.

If you want lateral thinking AND general knowledge then Only Connect is the show that gives that.

The people who appear on that would walk all over the people on Britain's Brightest.
    Forum Member
    alfster wrote: »
    If you want lateral thinking AND general knowledge then Only Connect is the show that gives that.

The people who appear on that would walk all over the people on Britain's Brightest.

If they could swap Clare Balding for Victoria Coren I'm sure the viewership would increase substantially! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

On the other hand, there's a reason why Only Connect and University Challenge aren't on prime time Saturday night scheduling
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the pilot the guy explained that the rounds tested different types of intelligence e.g. the working out how old people are by looking at them.

Bright infers intelligence - and you hardly needed to be a genius to do the rounds. The problem is they all, at the start, were tested for different things and then the same things so as people have said if you have a certain leaning towards maths you might get through a bit easier.

It was a very bitty, messy programme even in it's cut down format. It seems they may have kept more people in later rounds than in the pilot I can't quite remember.

I'm sure by the next series they will have the format tweaked a bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DFI wrote: »
    On the other hand, there's a reason why Only Connect and University Challenge aren't on prime time Saturday night scheduling

Too intelligent?...or the people who sort out the schedules aren't intelligent enough to realise that people might like that sort of thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    I'm sure by the next series they will have the format tweaked a bit.

Oh god no, not another series.

If they tweaked it so we saw at least a hint of Clare Balding's bum I might watch the show. Lucky ol' Alice Arnold...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they could swap Clare Balding for Victoria Coren I'm sure the viewership would increase substantially! :D

:p

I second that thought...although the last time I had a deep think about Victoria Coren, or one part of her (well technically two parts of her) I ended up with a broken arm...no, not due to doing that...)
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I only saw from the famous name game bit. The show was ok, for me the best bits were the taxi bit and the girl off of countdown teaching how to easily multiply by 11 which i had never heard of so i enjoyed that round. I also liked the last round with the two men battling against the clock as it was one you could join in at home.

What happened before the bit where they were guessing the names? What sort of words came up in the spelling round?

I will probably tune in again mainly because there wasnt a lot else on that sort of time.
  • juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    DFI wrote: »

:D:D:D

Genius ...thanks:)
  • GibmanGibman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no thanks. The smugness would be overwhelming. Her and Mitchell make a good pair in that aspect.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gibman wrote: »
    no thanks. The smugness would be overwhelming. Her and Mitchell make a good pair in that aspect.
    Coren makes a good pair by herself.

Aye thank yew. :D