tv headphone question

Comments

• Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with Nigel on this.

I have yet to come across a TV SCART socket where the audio line feed was/is variable. It's certainly possible with TVs that had phono audio outputs. But that's not what we were discussing in respect of the OP's TV.

For the sake of completeness, I agree that a lot of ancillary boxes such as Freeview tuners do alter their SCART socket line out volume. However, that's going off topic. The point is we were discussing using SCART as a connection method from a TV. It wasn't a discussion about the SCARTs on PVRs and STBs. As such, Nigel's point stands.
  • misarmisar Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    However, that's going off topic. The point is we were discussing using SCART as a connection method from a TV. It wasn't a discussion about the SCARTs on PVRs and STBs.

If you want to play that game, the entire SCART discussion is off topic because the OP's TV does not have a SCART connection. :D
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    misar wrote: »
    If you want to play that game, the entire SCART discussion is off topic because the OP's TV does not have a SCART connection. :D

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64796802&postcount=10 :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm with Nigel on this.

I have yet to come across a TV SCART socket where the audio line feed was/is variable. It's certainly possible with TVs that had phono audio outputs. But that's not what we were discussing in respect of the OP's TV.

For the sake of completeness, I agree that a lot of ancillary boxes such as Freeview tuners do alter their SCART socket line out volume. However, that's going off topic. The point is we were discussing using SCART as a connection method from a TV. It wasn't a discussion about the SCARTs on PVRs and STBs. As such, Nigel's point stands.

Nigel made two comments about Humax and Topfield not implementing scart correctly. As I said it's very common for the TV scart on set top boxes/pvrs and vcrs, are they all doing it wrong ? Pretty sure my old Sony vcr also does this so you can potentially add Sony to the list. I will check when I have a few minutes.

EDIT

Just looked at the vcr remote, it has a volume up/down control, why would that be there ? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    hi
    don't know if anyone can help me but,I recently bought this tv bed from dreams

www.dreams.co.uk/bed/tv-beds/san-diego-tv-bed-grey-2/

but forget to check if it has a headphone socket;which it doesn't

and was wondering if anybody knew if there was a way around
    this

thanks

Subtitles or earplugs for your partner ? :D

There are several "if's" with such a setup.

If it's possible to run a cable from the back of the TV to near where you sit without it getting snagged/trapped by the mechanism that lifts it.
    If there's a couple of power sockets near to where you will sit that won't cause a trip hazard or look unsightly.
    If you have a nearby bedside cabinet or flat surface to stand an amplifier :

Then you could run a digital-coaxial cable from the back of the TV to "behind the bedside cabinet" :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plated-Coaxial-Cable-Digital-Composite/dp/B0020G4DWS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1363515503&sr=8-5

Then connect the cable to a mains powered converter to convert the digital signal to a analogue stereo signal :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Digital-Analogue-Stereo-Converter/dp/B002AKXG5E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363515581&sr=8-4

Then connect the stereo cable :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-Phono-Cable-Metre-Equipment/dp/B004TXBPBM/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1363516744&sr=8-8

to a headphone amplifer :
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tech-BT928-Headphone-amplifier-Headamp/dp/B002J91WMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363516838&sr=8-1

and then plugin the headphones of your choice.

Not exactly an elegant solution, but if your TV doesn't have a headphone socket, this works and costs less than £100.
    You could get a cheaper setup running a cable from a SCART-audio output connecter as mentioned in this thread but you would still need an amplifier at the headphone end of the cable...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Alternatively:
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64795469&postcount=4
    Or any of the specs here:
    http://www.dreams.co.uk/beds/tv-beds/
    If anyone cares, we will never know for sure unless the OP looks at the back of their TV and reports the sockets they find.

Anyway, apologies for continuing yet another pointless debate - although that never stops the regulars enjoying a good punch up. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone,for your input so far

would it be easier if i posted a pic of the back of the tv with all
    the sockets?

and if so,how?
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    Nigel made two comments about Humax and Topfield not implementing scart correctly. As I said it's very common for the TV scart on set top boxes/pvrs and vcrs, are they all doing it wrong ? Pretty sure my old Sony vcr also does this so you can potentially add Sony to the list. I will check when I have a few minutes.

EDIT

Just looked at the vcr remote, it has a volume up/down control, why would that be there ? :confused:

The volume directly works the TV volume (as it should) - point it at your Sony TV and try it :D

It's nothing to do with the VCR.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone,for your input so far

would it be easier if i posted a pic of the back of the tv with all
    the sockets?

and if so,how?

That's a very sensible suggestion but hope you realise it will stop us enjoying another pointless debate. :)

Seriously, if you do have a SCART socket most Pound shops (or Maplin for much more) have SCART to phono (audio) adapters and you can plug various audio options in to that. You do need to be careful that headphones match the TV output and you would definitely need ones with a volume control.

Common approach is to upload your photo to one of the free photo sharing web sites and post the link they provide here.
    Forum Member
    There is a scart but it underneath and difficult to get a photo of
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sadly none of those is a SCART socket and I suspect that all the connectors on the right are inputs to the TV, although others will know better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you are sure, just try a Pound shop for assorted adapters and leads that might let you connect headphones. Before buying any headphones you need advice on suitable ones (the SCART sound output is usually connected to an amplifier or HiFi).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only way is to use the coaxial s/pdif output at left - assuming it's an output which seems likely. All the other sockets are inputs except for possibly the usb which may allow recording to separate drive.

Connect to one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002AKXG5E/ref=asc_df_B002AKXG5E12406933?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B002AKXG5E&hvpos=1o4&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=82597637223687181&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Connect the above adaptor out to either

A pair of cordless headphones base station - easiest solution as the volume control is on the headphones

or

A headphone amplifier used to power conventional headphones.
    Forum Member
    Only way is to use the coaxial s/pdif output at left - assuming it's an output which seems likely. All the other sockets are inputs except for possibly the usb which may allow recording to separate drive.

Yes the coaxial will be an output (no reason or point in an input), all the rest are inputs - it's pretty unlikely the USB will be for recording as well as playing back.

So as you say, no 'simple' solution, your suggestion above seems the best idea.

Looks like the TV probably isn't a UK/EU model, which is why it has no SCART.
    Forum Member
    have just purchased 'LINDY SPDIF Digital to Analogue Stereo Audio Converter' from amazon

thanks for all your entertaining input hope i didn't cause too much of a disagreement:D

will let you know how i get on
    Forum Member

thanks for all your entertaining input hope i didn't cause too much of a disagreement:D

It's a 'discussion' not a 'disagreement' :D

Please do so - it's a great shame that many TV's sets have dropped headphone sockets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have just purchased 'LINDY SPDIF Digital to Analogue Stereo Audio Converter' from amazon

What are you going to connect the output of the converter to ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nigel made two comments about Humax and Topfield not implementing scart correctly.
    He may well have done.... But I think that was after your post (post #20) where you wrote:
    Scart adaptor connected to a cheap pair of cordless headphones (the adaptor may well come with the headphones). <SNIP> You need to check that the scart socket outputs audio with the TV volume muted or turned down. There is often a setting in the TV setup menus to select a fixed level audio output from scart.

I read that and thought whoa there!. Nigel beat me to it posting that TV SCART sockets are rarely variable.

What happens with VCR, PVR and STB SCART sockets is irrelevant to the OP and their TV. In short, it's not right to suggest that TV SCART sockets have variable line level audio out. I'm not ruling it out. But in 30 years in the AV industry I have yet to come across a brand that does this.

It's just my opinion but I wouldn't give someone the false hope that they can use the TV's SCART out as a way of controlling volume to another device.
    Pretty sure my old Sony vcr also does this so you can potentially add Sony to the list. I will check when I have a few minutes.

EDIT

Again it's a point Nigel answered; it allows a VCR remote to control the TV set's volume directly. It's the TV reacting to the remote control and not the SCART socket line out level altering.
    Forum Member
    What are you going to connect the output of the converter to ?

wireless headphones
  • ThePenkethPedanThePenkethPedan Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Forgive me if I`ve missed something vital on this longish thread, but I noticed a newspaper ad today for Wireless headphones, £19-99, which enable you to " enjoy listening to your favourite TV or radio programmes anywhere around the house or garden. Simply pug the transmitter into the `audio out` jack on any TV, record deck,PC,MP3 or CD/DVD and the .... stereo headphones will receive interference-free sound as far away as 10m (33 ft) away." They include a self-tuning AM/FM radio.
    Any good? And has anyone tried these and if so have any comments?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgive me if I`ve missed something vital on this longish thread, but I noticed a newspaper ad today for Wireless headphones, £19-99, which enable you to " enjoy listening to your favourite TV or radio programmes anywhere around the house or garden. Simply pug the transmitter into the `audio out` jack on any TV, record deck,PC,MP3 or CD/DVD and the .... stereo headphones will receive interference-free sound as far away as 10m (33 ft) away." They include a self-tuning AM/FM radio.
    Any good? And has anyone tried these and if so have any comments?

I'm not sure what they mean by "pug" ;) That always inspires confidence doesn't it :D

Anyway, the wording from the ad is a bit vague as to what constitutes an "audio out". They're probably referring to the headphone socket at a guess, and that's the problem for nicolefilan. She hasn't got a headphone socket on her TV. :)
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    I think it's very likely (but not guaranteed) that the scart will include a fixed-level audio output, electrically suitable for feeding most wireless headphone transmitters, via a scart-rca converter such as this commonly available at pound shops.
    Which is some £36 more expensive than the scart-rca adapter.
    Forum Member
    nvingo wrote: »
    I think it's very likely (but not guaranteed) that the scart will include a fixed-level audio output

Almost certainly - IF it had a SCART - the pictures he posted appear to show it doesn't.
    Forum Member
    have managed to get one of those scart things and wireless headphones but can't get any sound
    don't know if any1 can advise me as to where i'm going wrong?:confused: