Huawei Ascend G300 + Android 4.0.3 ICS

2»

Comments

• finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's definitely worth rooting the G300 if you are comfortable with doing so. I never got on with CM 10.1 myself but in all fairness that probably wasn't helped by the fact I had the phone jam-packed with apps.

Now I am using Lightning ROM which is built on a slightly older version of Android (ICS, as opposed to JB), but the performance from my phone has been a lot better. But then I don't have as many apps installed either.

I am a big CM fan and AOSP fan. However as much as I enjoyed CM on my various devices I usually found something stopped them being perfect as a daily driver and would usually end up like you back with a modified stock ROM. Now I am on my second Nexus I have no issues with functionality of any ROM – CM or otherwise they all work great.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I had another look at "Settings/About Phone" and it states my phone has Android 4.2.2......it must have been updated to this when I clicked "1 Update Available" under "CyanogenMod Updates". This latest update clearly does NOT work with the "gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip" that I previously installed with the "cm-10-20130217-EXPERIMENTAL-u8815-R6.zip" ROM. My phone showed that "gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip" included "Google Play Store updated to 3.10.14" and "Google Play Services updated to 3.0.25" which is said to be compatible with Andriod 4.2.2, but this obviously is NOT the case.

Anyway, I have now corected my phone and here's what I did:

1) Powered down phone and removed battery for 15 seconds.

2) Replaced battery, held down POWER and VOLUME UP buttons for 15 seconds until the ClockworkMod Recovery screen appeared.

3) Scrolled down an selected Wipe Data/Factory Reset.

4) After resetting the phone it restarted and I found that ALL Google apps were gone from my phone.

5) I visited http://goo.im/gapps and downloaded "gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip" to my PC which was the latest version and also included "Google Play Store updated to 3.10.14" and "Google Play Services updated to 3.0.25 (yes, the same versions as 20120726 above had).

6) I went into my phones SETTINGS and clicked ABOUT PHONE, I then tapped on BUILD NUMBER (at the bottom) 10 times, which is the only way to get Developer Options to appear (Thanks to androidpolice.com for that info).

7) In Developer options I checked that USB debugging was NOT ticked.

8) I connected my phone to my PC using the USB cable.

9) I clicked on Computers (or My Computers) on my PC and then clicked on my phones icon to see the 2 removable drives.

10) I deleted "gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip" which was stored on my SD Card (the SD Card I installed myself).

11) I then CUT and PASTED "gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip" onto my SD Card.

12) I unplagged the USB cable to disconnect my phone from my PC.

13) I powered down my phone, then removed the battery for 15 seconds.

14) I re-installed my phones battery then held down the POWER and VOLUME UP buttons for 15 seconds until the ClockworkMod Recovery screen appeared.

15) I selected "Install zip from SD Card".

16) I selected "Choose zip from SD Card".

17) I selected "gapps-jb-20130301-signed".

18) I selected "Yes - install "gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip" and waited for the "Install from SD Card Complete" message.

19) I selected "Back / Return".

20) I selected "Advanced".

21) I selected "Wipe dalvik cache".

22) I selected "Yes - Wipe dalvic cache".

23) I selected "Back / Return".

24) I selected "Wipe data / factory reset".

25) I selected "Yes - Delete all user data".

26) I selected "Wipe cache partition".

27) I selected "Yes - wipe cache"

28) I selected "Reboot system now".

When my phone had rebooted ALL Google Play apps were successfully installed and working!!!

Cheers to finbaar for feedback and help on this problem:)
    Forum Member
    *** UPDATE ***

After getting my phone back to normal and managed to install Google Apps successfully (see above) I would just like to point out to other people thinking of installing 4.2.2 JellyBean (or any other CyanogenMod) on their phone that ITS NOT WORTH DOING!!! Many websites, streaming video sites, and various apps that all run perfect with Official ICS do NOT work properly with JellyBean. I've also found that the operating system is NOT faster than ICS either, its exactly the same!

All I've done over the past few days is ruin a perfectly good phone, I'm just glad I tried all this ROM updating stuff out on a cheap phone....I'll never do it again...official operating systems from now on! :mad:
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try stock rom + very solid everything works.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zool8846 wrote: »
    *** UPDATE ***

After getting my phone back to normal and managed to install Google Apps successfully (see above) I would just like to point out to other people thinking of installing 4.2.2 JellyBean (or any other CyanogenMod) on their phone that ITS NOT WORTH DOING!!! Many websites, streaming video sites, and various apps that all run perfect with Official ICS do NOT work properly with JellyBean. I've also found that the operating system is NOT faster than ICS either, its exactly the same!

All I've done over the past few days is ruin a perfectly good phone, I'm just glad I tried all this ROM updating stuff out on a cheap phone....I'll never do it again...official operating systems from now on! :mad:

I understand your pain, but your phone should not be ruined – you can always go back to stock.

As I said in a couple of posts above quite often there are issues with CM builds that can make them unsuitable as a daily ROM. Many times they get sorted and a stable build is released but the experimental releases are just that - experimental. The main purpose of CM is to let you set your phone up how you want as custom roms are much more customisable than the manufacturers stock roms. If you don’t need it don’t do it is my advice.

But if you would like a bit more speed and stability the modified/tweaked versions of the stock roms are a good bet. I have found that my Galaxy Note, SE Xperia Arc, SE Xperia X10 etc have all ran better and were more stable with modified stock. Maybe you should check those out over at modaco.com. I know the G300 is very popular there.
  • glaschelleglaschelle Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking about buying this phone but I think I'll give it a miss now! I'm not very technical and I would much rather eat a gingerbread, ice cream sandwich and a jelly bean :D
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Hi,

I had another look at "Settings/About Phone" and it states my phone has Android 4.2.2......it must have been updated to this when I clicked "1 Update Available" under "CyanogenMod Updates". This latest update clearly does NOT work with the "gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip" that I previously installed with the "cm-10-20130217-EXPERIMENTAL-u8815-R6.zip" ROM. My phone showed that "gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip" included "Google Play Store updated to 3.10.14" and "Google Play Services updated to 3.0.25" which is said to be compatible with Andriod 4.2.2, but this obviously is NOT the case.

Anyway, I have now corected my phone and here's what I did:

<loads of tech stuff>

I know you guys probably do this stuff as a hobby but is it really worth all the hassle for your average Joe who wants to actually just use a phone for y'know, calling people?:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know you guys probably do this stuff as a hobby but is it really worth all the hassle for your average Joe who wants to actually just use a phone for y'know, calling people?:p

I have absolutely no interest in speaking to people on the phone, I only do it because I have to . Before 2009 I had zero interest in mobile phones despite getting my first in '95. My real interest though started in 2010 when I went Android. Yes hacking phones is a bit of a hobby a day no I don't recommend normal users to do it as it is possible to go wrong.
    Forum Member
    AxeVictim wrote: »
    Try stock rom + very solid everything works.

Do you or anyone else know where I can download the latest ICS ROM for the G300? I've looked on MoDaCo but can't find anything that looks any good or reliable!

I would just install a more stable (earlier version) of Jellybean, but Jellybean doesn't support any available versions of Adobe Flash Player which is something I want (see link below).

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html#flash_player_archives

Cheers for all your help:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you or anyone else know where I can download the latest ICS ROM for the G300? I've looked on MoDaCo but can't find anything that looks any good or reliable!

I would just install a more stable (earlier version) of Jellybean, but Jellybean doesn't support any available versions of Adobe Flash Player which is something I want (see link below).

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/archived-flash-player-versions.html#flash_player_archives

Cheers for all your help:)

I had a look on Medico and I think you should follow Axevictims advice and install Stock+
    http://www.modaco.com/forum/650-huawei-ascend-g300-g300modacocom/

It will enable you to run flash OK. If the lack of flash was your problem with CM10.1 ROM then it wasn't the custom ROMs fault. Flash has been missing since 4.1.
    Forum Member
    finbaar wrote: »
    I had a look on Medico and I think you should follow Axevictims advice and install Stock+
    http://www.modaco.com/forum/650-huawei-ascend-g300-g300modacocom/

It will enable you to run flash OK. If the lack of flash was your problem with CM10.1 ROM then it wasn't the custom ROMs fault. Flash has been missing since 4.1.

Thanks for that, I've just checked it out and it looks a good ROM, however before reading your message I just downloaded and installed the cm-9-20130217-EXPERIMENTAL-u8815-R9.zip from http://www.modaco.com/topic/359115-ics-404-cyanogenmod-91-rom-last-updated-1702/

The above ICS 4.0.4 CyanogenMod 9.1 ROM is fantastic! Not only does the ROM looks the same as the "unreliable" Jelly Bean 4.2.2 ROM I had before (including the keypad) it seems to run a lot smoother and faster when browsing the internet. All my apps now work properly and so does Adobe Flash Player....fantastic! :)

I may try out the Stock+ B960 R6 ROM at a later date though as it looks interesting with some good features, has anyone on here tried out this ROM? if so what is your opinion of it? Also, what use is the Sony Bravia Engine, isn't that for TV's? LOL!
  • AxeVictimAxeVictim Posts: 3,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I installed stock+ on my G300 and found it the best rom for features and reliability.Every other rom I tried had problems or features that were missing.Cant say I noticed any benefit of having the bravia engine but I was only using it as a back up phone so never looked into it too deeply.