• Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    Joni M wrote: »

Are you joking? She looks hideous in that photo, much worse than on the show.:eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I've been watching this but it hasn't impressed me much. There's no real storylines, I don't care for any of the characters other than possibly Agnes and Leclair, and every episode seems to have some historic moment thrown in as the focus. It was okay to watch but it's not like I'm going to miss it.
  • Options
    moondewmoondew Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Mr Crabbe was teaching the women to curtsey, he reminded me of Captain Mainwaring in Dad's Army :D

I'm looking forward to the next series - my grandmother worked in Selfridge's during WWI, so it will be interesting to see what the store was like then.
  • Options
    rapunzel4rapunzel4 Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puterkid wrote: »
    Roger Grove is the most odious man, willing to ruin the lives of two women to satisfy his own selfish wants. At least Harry has some redeeming character traits.

such a ratbag! hope he fires blanks and doris dumps him
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone earlier in the thread said that the actress (Amanda Abbington) who plays Miss Mardle is Martin Freeman's long-term partner. I hadn't realised that before.

*Edit* - Hadn't clicked the link to the article posted above - it says that as the headline. :D
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the brillilant Call the Midwife finished last night until next year.:(

Well Christmas anyway, or the end of the Week since their is a mini CTM for Comic Relief.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't realise that it was the last one. Between this one and the previous episode, I prefer the penultimate one but this was still an okay episode.
    Mr Groves and the shop girl! Poor Miss Mardle, talk about the ultimate kick in the teeth. For some reason I thought childbirth from older woman was more or less normal in them days, but I could be wrong. And Miss Love and Frank really had the last laugh on being let down by Harry; she definitely was the lady in the red dress (I believe it was partly shown hanging in her dressing room).
    And Henri's letter to Harry, I could have sworn it was addressed to 'Henry' instead! ;)
    The actress that plays Miss Mardle is 38.
    Daily Mail puts her as 41.
  • Options
    bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Lots of women had their last babies well into their forties at the time. It was just as dangerous to have them in their twenties, in any case. Maybe Grove decided he wanted a flock of kids from a nice young wife and a bit on the side. Maybe he was trying to copy Harry S.
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »

Perhaps acting jobs should be on PAYE.....
  • Options
    mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    I had to laugh when Miss Mardle was all upset about Mr Mardle getting married.
    It was hard not to think "You know full well that you can keep your tax bills separate if don't get married"
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where did the romance between Mr Groves & the shop girl suddenly spring from? did I miss it somewhere along the line?
    Did Mr S only go to the play cause the King was there? surely he knew the plays content with all his connections.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Where did the romance between Mr Groves & the shop girl suddenly spring from? did I miss it somewhere along the line?
    Did Mr S only go to the play cause the King was there? surely he knew the plays content with all his connections.

It was a bit of a jump from having afternoon tea one moment to being engaged the next. It was always on the cards - certainly from when Miss Mardle said she had given the best years of her life to Mr Grove.

I don't think Mr S had a clue about the content - which had been made much more personal by input from his ex-friend.
  • Options
    teacup333teacup333 Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Can there be another series to this?

Did this one follow real life at all and so is there more to his story?
    He took up with the Dolly Sisters & died bankrupt

The DS were the Cheeky Girls of their day :D
  • Options
    ShevkShevk Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I felt really sorry for Ms Mardle (and Doris) in the last episode. And Rosalie! It must be hard to find out your mum has been struggling with an attraction to the man you saw as a potential suitor.

Tweet from Katherine Kelly, if anyone is doubting Lady Mae's involvement in series two - "Last ep of Mr Selfridge tonight! We best crack on and make some more!!"

I think this proves she isn't leaving as Zoe Tapper is an example of one cast member who has confirmed her exit.

I think series two would be a fitting time for her elusive husband to appear, given the mauling she recieved in her ex-lover's play.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The actress that plays Miss Mardle is 38.

And according to the paper yesterday, bankrupt.
  • Options
    fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not a big fan but....
  • Options
    fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a bit hit and miss. I thought mr grove was a right bastard. Hope Miss Mardle tells Doris wot a creepy sexist toe rag he is. :(I like Agnes and her dopey brother and Rose too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have to say, my Sunday evenings do have a whole in them...
  • Options
    Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if anyone has spotted this. It may be of interest.

'Seduction in the City: The Birth of Shopping' is on at 9.00pm on Wednesday 27th March on Yesterday

http://uktv.co.uk/yesterday/item/aid/655993

In 1852, a French entrepreneur, Aristide Boucicaut created the world's first department store, Le Bon Marché. His genius idea? To target the new middle class woman and attract her to a fantasy land where all types of goods were available and where she could go un-chaperoned. The concept was so successful that it was very quickly copied all over the world. Stores like Selfridges in London, Myer in Melbourne, Macy's in New York all invented ever more enticing ideas to attract customers and sell goods in huge numbers - price tags, discounts, public toilets, easy credit and return policies.
  • Options
    NailzNailz Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was this show repeated ?
    I wanted to see what it was like but its not on ITV Player or any of the ITV channels.

With series 2 starting next month you would think ITV would try and get more viewers watching the show.
  • Options
    DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    Was this show repeated ?
    I wanted to see what it was like but its not on ITV Player or any of the ITV channels.

With series 2 starting next month you would think ITV would try and get more viewers watching the show.

You may have to buy the DVD (£8 at Amazon) or see if your local library has it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nailz wrote: »
    Was this show repeated ?

They did repeat Series 1 a couple of months ago as I remember getting interested in it (I missed the original run). It may have been on one of the other ITV channels though - I can't remember.

I agree it would be a good idea to repeat Series 1 just before Series 2 (like they usually do with Downton Abbey) but with Series 2 starting on Sunday 19th, it seems that's not going to happen.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    They did repeat Series 1 a couple of months ago as I remember getting interested in it (I missed the original run). It may have been on one of the other ITV channels though - I can't remember.

I agree it would be a good idea to repeat Series 1 just before Series 2 (like they usually do with Downton Abbey) but with Series 2 starting on Sunday 19th, it seems that's not going to happen.

It was repeated on ITV3 at 8pm on Monday's, although I don't think it rated above 500k since it was against Corrie.