This Is Jinsy - Sky Atlantic - Wed 8 Jan

Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Tomorrow night at 10pm I shall be standing by my tesselator ready to Sing, Sing, Sing!

Yay! the second series of this surreal comedy about life on a fictional island is back with visiting guests like Stephen Fry (as the curator of a hair museum) and Ben Miller.

I'm particularly fond of the musical interludes and I hope to see a return of Sandy's Choice - a competition where a dog judges if the music is 'woof' or 'enoof'.

Bonkers but I love it! Any other Jinsy fans out there?

Nightly 'bye folks.

Comments

• snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Jinsy - I lament that the BBC turned it down and barely anyone sees it on Sky Atlantic, despite the big guests. There's Cult (not quite a million watching a new comedy on BBC2) and then there's barely registering (Jinsy pulled less than 100,000 for several episodes).
  • Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We may be thin on the ground snossis but I'm glad you love it too and I'm not totally alone!

Yep, shame about the BBC but at least it wasn't allowed to die off completely which is what I feared.

I've just been watching the Licky Licky song on Youtube and now I've got it on the brain! It's far too foot-tapping catchy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Brown Corduoys was my favourite from last series!
  • Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snossis wrote: »
    Old Brown Corduoys was my favourite from last series!

Ah, Melody Lane....:) I hope she's in the new series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've obviously not seen the preview clips!......

http://www.youtube.com/user/thisisjinsy
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very very very surprised (but delighted!) that it's received a second series, taking into account the minuscule viewing figures of the first.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I was surprised that it's back for a second series.

I was amazed at some of the guest stars. Either they have a big book of friends or Sky are paying out big bucks to get them in.
  • James_MonnellyJames_Monnelly Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About as many viewers as the population of Jersey!
  • rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Ep 1 has been available on Anytime for a few days now - pretty amusing too.

Ratings will continue to be minuscule (anywhere near 100k would be amazing) but that's not really what Sky Atlantic is primarily about - and certainly not the immediate overnights.
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to this- hasn't it been two years, rather than one, since the first?
  • rammie96rammie96 Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    It was September 2011, so well over 2 years.
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was amazed at some of the guest stars. Either they have a big book of friends or Sky are paying out big bucks to get them in.

If I recall correctly, the creators are quite influential comedy folks so I'd imagine it's the former.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Despite struggling through the first series with hardly a laugh I thought id give it a second try.

Its like pulling teeth. So bitterly unfunny I cant even begin to describe it. Stupid and pathetic rather than eclectic and weird, which I actually do find funny. I cant believe how many big names are in it, what where they thinking?? Its like Movie 43, but for TV comedy.
  • spectraspectra Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rovex33 wrote: »
    Despite struggling through the first series with hardly a laugh I thought id give it a second try.

Its like pulling teeth. So bitterly unfunny I cant even begin to describe it. Stupid and pathetic rather than eclectic and weird, which I actually do find funny. I cant believe how many big names are in it, what where they thinking?? Its like Movie 43, but for TV comedy.

Very decent and brave of you to give it another go. As a matter of interest, why did you?
    If I had "struggled" through a whole series with "hardly a laugh" I would just have thought it was not for me and let it go as obviously it does not suit my sense of humour (not everything appeals to everyone after all)

There must be other stuff for you to watch before you have to watch progs that you really don't like. Please don't put yourself through this agony anymore and give up on it. Pulling teeth is really painful I know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was more consistently funny than the first run actually. There were a lot more wry smiles than guffaws last time - but I love the premise so much I still enjoyed it.

Last night the 'Acco's' in particular made me chuckle, Stephen Fry's performance was fun, and.....'What are their names again?'

I yearn to see Sporall investigate off island life a bit more - he was getting curious about what was beyond the protective nets at the end of S1......
    Forum Member
    spectra wrote: »
    Very decent and brave of you to give it another go. As a matter of interest, why did you?
    If I had "struggled" through a whole series with "hardly a laugh" I would just have thought it was not for me and let it go as obviously it does not suit my sense of humour (not everything appeals to everyone after all)

There must be other stuff for you to watch before you have to watch progs that you really don't like. Please don't put yourself through this agony anymore and give up on it. Pulling teeth is really painful I know.
    For me it was an interest in how and why these big names of British tv/comedy are cameoing.

I feel the folk music sketches are a rip off of Vic & Bob.
    Forum Member
    The old man talking jibberish seems to be a ripoff of Stanley Unwin.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    utterly barking, and didn't watch the first series!!!

but why did sky atlantic stuff it on at stupid o'clock now???
    Forum Member
    10pm?
    It's pretty standard time for a comedy show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    This thread took a turn for the disappointing.

I love This Is Jinsy! I'm not sure what all the "A is a ripoff of B" is about. I can promise you virtually nothing is original anymore, and I charge you to give an example of anyone today doing something that no one has ever done before. You lot remind me of Arbiter Mavin's invention, the poo stick, from the first series.

Are there any Jinsy fans still checking this thread?

I haven't seen eps 7 and 8 yet, but so far the only thing I've found wanting is Sandy's Choice. The musical episode seemed to drag a bit, but by the end I felt it was all worth it.
    Forum Member
    I gave up after episode three (I think). The one with where the mayor finds his double
  • slimcea girlslimcea girl Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Woof or enoof?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Woof or enoof?

WOOF!

I also enjoyed this recent, post-series 2 interview:
    http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/this_is_jinsy/interview/chris_bran_justin_chubb/