Why does my left ear hurt when I sleep on it?

The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
Forum Member
✭✭✭
More often than not I wake up, having been sleeping on my left side, with my left ear in pain, and hurting to the touch?

To make the pain go away I press on the middle bit in the ear.

You know what i'm talking about...

Why does it happen? It's not pins and needles.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    I have had that before but not for a while - I always thought it was just pressure. Is your pillow hard? I used to have feather pillows but always use man made fibre ones now and I haven't had this for a while - don't know if there is a connection.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Build-up of wax? Small infection? Ingrowing hair? Big pus-sy spot or boil in its birth throes? :eek: :D

Go and see your GP.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The top of my left ear hurts when I sleep on it. I put it down to being "smacked 'round the ear" when I was a kid! :D
  • The Magic MonkeyThe Magic Monkey Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Build-up of wax? Small infection? Ingrowing hair? Big pus-sy spot or boil in its birth throes? :eek: :D

Go and see your GP.

None of that.

My pillow is pretty hard. That might be why I suppose.
  • noddylpdnoddylpd Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of that.

My pillow is pretty hard. That might be why I suppose.

How do you know it is none of 'that'?
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More often than not I wake up, having been sleeping on my left side, with my left ear in pain, and hurting to the touch?

It's probably a bit obvious, but does it happen with the right ear if you sleep the other side ?

Not that it matters - I still don't know the answer - it happens to me sometimes and is very painful
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you put your head under water a lot, or get shower water in your ears, sometimes it gets stuck in little crevices, and can really hurt, it feels like loads of tight pressure is inside.

DISCLAIMER - I am not a Dr, my advice is just an opinion
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i get it aswell sometimes and its really annoying, thought it was a weird thing no one else got though!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get it too, and just assumed that the ear had kind of "folded over" in my sleep, or something? :confused:

Very uncomfortable though.
  • digispecdigispec Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could have an ear infection. I had a similar problem last year. I went straight to the Doctors, ad they told me that I had a middle ear infection. They gave me antibiotics, and it cleared up after a few days. If you are not sure what the problem is, and it persists I would recommend that you see your GP. Ear infections should not be treated lightly, as they can lead to further complications.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get it too, and just assumed that the ear had kind of "folded over" in my sleep, or something? :confused:

Very uncomfortable though.
    Exactly how mine feels! Wow - I'm not odd after all!!! ;)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had that on occasion, although not as often as the numb arm/hand thingy.
  • Joe'sgirlJoe'sgirl Posts: 10,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NatsD wrote:
    Exactly how mine feels! Wow - I'm not odd after all!!! ;)

Yes, it's a sort of 'squashed gristle' thingy. It is thru' lying awkwardly on your ear. Maybe the 'gristle at the back of the ear gets bruised.

I have had that in my time...come to think of it I have had most little oddments and ailments in my time! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe'sgirl wrote:
    Yes, it's a sort of 'squashed gristle' thingy. It is thru' lying awkwardly on your ear. Maybe the 'gristle at the back of the ear gets bruised.
    Sounds lovely! :p
  • Dancing QueenDancing Queen Posts: 9,917
    Forum Member
    It's because you sleep soo heavily you squash yer ears - afterall your head is the heaviest part of the body :eek: Try and sleep on your back ;)