Is Tamera the most disliked contestant on the DS forums since...James Arthur?

rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
Forum Member
✭✭
You could replace James Arthur with any of the contestants who have garnered dislike on this board like Christopher Maloney, however I chose JAmes Arthur because was the winner and not very well liked on these boards. I know TAmera is not the winner yet and I am no fortune teller to say she will be.

And yes I know this is another Tamera thread but hey what else is there to talk about?

I have no strong feelings about Tamera, but some of the things I have read and some of the reactions of her detractors on here are quite amazing. There are the ones who use her past like a stick to beat her down, their are the ones who claim she can't sing and then their are those who says she doesn't look her age and the list goes on.

So is Tamera the most disliked or unpopular contestant on the board. And knowing that this board does not represent the outside public opinion; is she really popular outside these boards?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think she's the only one on there who looks like she could be a real pop star. I don't really care what she did/didnt do in the past - she's in her teens and hopefully can learn from her mistakes. I'm not sure she's hated on here - hate is a strong word for a reality show contestant
  • PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Agree with FRank , she has star quality written allover her and all she needs is the right management team to guide and protect her from the Cowells of this world who will use her and then discard her.

I wish her well and hope she wins as she has the X Factor , mind you so has Sam Screwbo , but in a different way. Again Sam with the right management will do well.
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think she's the only one on there who looks like she could be a real pop star. I don't really care what she did/didnt do in the past - she's in her teens and hopefully can learn from her mistakes. I'm not sure she's hated on here - hate is a strong word for a reality show contestant

BIB, I think that is why I chose the word disliked.
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More likely the one person who could sell and be marketable: looks, good voice etc
    But she has several issues that needs to be addressed and I hope she gets the right guidance. People are angry after last night but in the end of the day, it's up to the public whether to vote for her or not. It wasn't Tamera's fault that she got through last night - being a Tamera fan I actually wanted her to leave for her own good so she can sort these issues out
  • WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could argue Cher Lloyd and Misha B were just as disliked, but Cher was so much more popular than Tamera or MIsha B.
  • Scarlet O'HaraScarlet O'Hara Posts: 6,933
    Forum Member
    For a start, I don't think she'll win. She may come third behind Sam B and Nicholas.

Secondly, I'm not seeing any huge dislike for her on here. No more than previous contestants, give or take the usual rabid fans/haters who get their knickers in a twist and don't know how to behave sanely on a forum.

Yes, there was outrage about her getting through this week. Yes, there are some who still don't like those news reports. Yes, there are some who think she's not yet living up to her star potential or lacks likeability. Yes, there are accusations of favouritism.

But personal dislike on a scale with, say, Chris Maloney, Misha B, Cher Lloyd or now James Arthur? No. In fact, I saw more consistent criticism of Hannah and Abi.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    think people need to realise the difference between disliking someone as a person and not having a high opinion of them as a singer/performer
  • Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    Maybe her popularity will rise? Now that she's become this years joke act? Bumbling her way through songs in a quite frankly, embarrassing, and cringe worthy way? Lol, well, Gary said he wanted a "wow" moment, the train wreck that was Tamera's painful rendition of "Impossible" most certainly evoked a "wow"... just the wrong kind of "wow". :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbdcay wrote: »
    BIB, I think that is why I chose the word disliked.

apologies for any confusion on that - i wasn't referring to your original question as such but rather to some of the posts on DS of late. you clearly used the word dislike from the off, sorry if I gave the wrong impression and thanks for not going off on one in response to my reply
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show has put her in a really difficult position now.

She shouldnt have got past the arena audition where she also forgot her words, she just isnt ready yet, she could be really good, but not right now, she lacks the ability to emote the lyrics of any song she sings, she can copy what shes heard from beyonce or whoever, but that isnt the same thing, a couple of years performing and practicing is what she needed, exactly the same as Alexandra, and it di dher the world of good.

But now it's too late, her vast limitations are being exposed to everyone, and because she is in the live shows this is it, she can't come back another year any longer, so syco have to keep pushing someone clearly unprepared and unable to cope with pressure performing if they want to sign her because this is the only chance to get the big exposure to launch her from.

My fear is it will backfire, and the haste to make money will see her with nothing, when I feel at 19/20 she would have come onto the show and dominated it, and now she will be the girl who really isnt as good as the judges try and pretend she is.

Whether she is messing up because of nerves or she just isnt taking the preparation as seriously as she should only she and the backstage team know, but the end result is the same, an absolute trainwreck two weeks in a row.
  • EdgarKEdgarK Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could argue Cher Lloyd and Misha B were just as disliked, but Cher was so much more popular than Tamera or MIsha B.

Can't say that's evident to me - Cher was famously helped by the show to her fourth-placed finish, Tamera is still there in the final five. Cher's appeal was largely, I'd guess, to a younger section of the audience than Tamera's, and to an age range that's at least thought to be responsible for much energetic voting, but she never achieved 20% of the total vote in any week.

I don't know. Cher probably remains my favourite XF contestant ever, I couldn't and can't abide Misha B, Tamera shows prodigious star potential and has enough of a voice and an expressive enough way with it that I'm at least very interested in how she develops from here. It's getting under some folks' skin that she's still in the show, I'm not sure whether that matters a lot in even the medium term. I'm glad she's still there because, perhaps alone among the remaining contestants, she's a compelling enough performer to keep me watching, besides which I'd concur that she's comfortably beyond this year's other entrants in terms of the career she's likely to have.
  • researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she's greatly disliked is she? I think it's more a case of people wondering why she's there apart from the way she looks.

People go on about her "star quality" but she doesn't have any. No charisma, average voice (or worse when she sings out of tune, which is frequently) and inability to remember lyrics.
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think she's greatly disliked is she? I think it's more a case of people wondering why she's there apart from the way she looks.

People go on about her "star quality" but she doesn't have any. No charisma, average voice (or worse when she sings out of tune, which is frequently) and inability to remember lyrics.

"Star quality" in this case means 'phenomenally beautiful', I'd wager. It certainly doesn't match up to anything else going on with Tamera currently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmpfb wrote: »
    "Star quality" in this case means 'phenomenally beautiful', I'd wager. It certainly doesn't match up to anything else going on with Tamera currently.

Beauty should be helpful in the long run, but it's hardly all she has going for her. I'm pretty sure she would still be my pick of this year's remaining entrants if X Factor were a radio show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EdgarK wrote: »
    Beauty should be helpful in the long run, but it's hardly all she has going for her. I'm pretty sure she would still be my pick of this year's remaining entrants if X Factor were a radio show.
    It really is :)
    Forum Member

Really? But there's no emotional content to her singing, it simply reeks of tedious "mimicry"...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eve Elle wrote: »
    Really? But there's no emotional content to her singing, it simply reeks of tedious "mimicry"...

Not the way I hear it, but we're a various crew here and your "emotional content" might well be my "overblown" ;)

To me, she's alert to and good at conveying the meaning and the weight of words, and fairly remarkably so for her age - I'd contrast Ella Henderson, who I often felt might as well be singing the telephone directory for all the emotional engagement she conveyed. But, there we go. We're various.
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not the way I hear it, but we're a various crew here and your "emotional content" might well be my "overblown" ;)

To me, she's alert to and good at conveying the meaning and the weight of words, and fairly remarkably so for her age - I'd contrast Ella Henderson, who I often felt might as well be singing the telephone directory for all the emotional engagement she conveyed. But, there we go. We're various.

By 'overblown', do you mean 'singing words'?

;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

;)
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

;)

Now, now. In every performance Tamera's given so far, most of the words of the song are there ;)
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now, now. In every performance Tamera's given so far, most of the words of the song are there ;)

Indeed, but the words are just like the notes.

Not all of them, and not necessarily in the right order either.
    Forum Member

Well, the old saying, "different strokes for different folks" comes to mind. Like regarding Ella, I felt she did emote quite well, but ultimately it was the constant "balladization" of every song she performed that caused people to eventually grow tired of her. But, hey ho, different strokes. ;)
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eve Elle wrote: »
    Well, the old saying, "different strokes for different folks" comes to mind. Like regarding Ella, I felt she did emote quite well, but ultimately it was the constant "balladization" of every song she performed that caused people to eventually grow tired of her. But, hey ho, different strokes. ;)

Whatcha talkin' about? :D:D:D
    Sorry your not Willis :o
    Forum Member
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    Whatcha talkin' about? :D:D:D
    Sorry your not Willis :o

I know this! Gary Coleman! :D
  • Ronell_DavisRonell_Davis Posts: 4,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she's that hugely disliked on here Sam Callahan Abi and Hannah were much more disliked overall on here I think .