2013 Classic Series DVD releases.

Comments

• grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Legacy box was finished and handed in to bbc worldwide months before work had started on galaxy 4. There was no way it could go on that release. The reason why it wasnt on reign.Expandng to 2 discs would cost them more money to manufactuer and as that release was already budgeted as a 1 disc release (to keep costs down)the budget wasnt there for a 2 disc release. To quote steve roberts: DW discs will only sell finite and this is already an expensive release release AND one which we need to look at carfeully to see how much of a selling point the animation is. Adding a previous unreleased episode to it (which was an expensive restoration in its own right) will only serve to muddy the waters.

Simply put they need to know sales how much animation sells for the possibility other potential animation releases and adding an unreleased episode to the dvd would make it difficult to know whether sales were for the animation or the recovered episode. As i mentioned previously Tenth planet will be an expensive restoration plus prob be full of extras due to the historical importance(the first regeneration and first cybermen story)so there most likely wont be room on there anyway .
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    This can only mean one thing: we must all buy Reign of Terror if we want more animated reconstructions ;)
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    only imo but i think galaxy 4 has been added to the se of the aztecs to prop up the sales of this re release.there is nothing wrong with the original release at all and a re release without galaxy 4 would have poor sales.as i am trying to collect all existing episodes i am being forced into buying the aztecs again something i am not happy with.

Actually there was something wrong with the original Aztecs release, because they mistakenly applied VidFIRE to some filmed inserts of Susan where it didn't belong.
    This can only mean one thing: we must all buy Reign of Terror if we want more animated reconstructions ;)

In fact, buy two 'cos they're small. :):)
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member

I wonder if I'm alone in preferring to buy the animated reconstructions to ordinary episodes? :) So far the only first doctor serials I own are The Beginnings and War Machines but I'm itching to buy Reign of Terror as soon as it's released and the only second doctor story I own is The Invasion.

The clips of animations that I've seen for Reign look amazing and for me I find that they actually add something that would be missing if we still had the original episodes. Err if that makes sense and doesn't sound at all strange?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I so hope the animated reign goes down well, I would love to see other stories released with animation such as 'The Crusade' and 'The Moonbase' if only 2 episodes can be animated due to costs. Hopefully an announcement soon about 'Ice warriors' anmd 'tenth planet' being animated, looks very likely.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tenth has to be a dead cert anyway considering its only missing one episode but they probably want this to sell well to do Ice Warriors and a few others.
  • TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    Tenth has to be a dead cert anyway considering its only missing one episode but they probably want this to sell well to do Ice Warriors and a few others.

Yeah, I think that Tenth Planet and The Ice Warriors will easily be animated. However, I don't think that they will be out in time for the 50th anniversary (unless they have already started on the animation).

Other good candidates for the animation treatment would be The Crusade (missing two episodes), The Underwater Menace (missing two episodes now that they found Episode 2) and The Moonbase (also missing two episodes).
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I would love animated versions of all the missing stories, but it aint gonna happen :(
  • cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    Yeah, I think that Tenth Planet and The Ice Warriors will easily be animated. However, I don't think that they will be out in time for the 50th anniversary (unless they have already started on the animation).

Probably a dumb question but how long does the animation take?

Let's take Tenth Planet as an example, they just need 30 minutues of animation. The Simpsons and South Park produce 24ish 25 min episdoes a year without too much trouble. They have dedicated teams I'm sure, but surely 30 minutes of animation isn't going to take that long to produce?
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »

Let's take Tenth Planet as an example, they just need 30 minutues of animation. The Simpsons and South Park produce 24ish 25 min episdoes a year without too much trouble. They have dedicated teams I'm sure, but surely 30 minutes of animation isn't going to take that long to produce?

I saw a show on the making of the simpsons and it takes longer than you think to make an episode as they are normally animating bits for several episodes at one time (and reuse the same shots in other episodes). Sometimes one episode takes a full year to make.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »

The date 11 months was originally mentioned for the 2 eps of reign but no idea how long it actually took
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know clawsSE was for a 2012 rlelease but i must report that The restoration on eps 2 and 3 is simply lush. Definitly a good decision to revisit.all that grainy fuzziness has virtually gone If they can achieve similar results with inferno i will be pleased.Out of the 3 new features the Making of i enjoyedwith some good stories told and the full studio recording was nice to watch as a 1 off but i dont think i will watch it again. Living with levine was the highlight of this set. Good enough to broadcast on bbc 4. Some funny and uncomfortable moments but i enjoyed it reguardless. Enjoyed the coming soon trailer for the legacy box.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    I am not normally one to complain about the special edition releases because noone is forcing people to buy them. However, this is a deliberate move to sell more Aztecs SE by putting on a NEW Dr Who episode that most fans want to see. I want to see it. I don't want Aztecs again. They are milking fans on this one.

WHat they should have released was that G4:3 will be on the Aztecs SE as an extra but will also be available later in the year as an extra on a new story DVD (Tenth Planet for example).

I would be happy to wait rather then pay for something I don't want.

Luckily I wanted Spearheard SE otherwise I would have never purchased Terror of the Autons.

I'm actually glad that this the last year of releases so fans don't continually to get screwed over.

Yes we are thankful for releasing the DVD's and the extras are amazing but putting G4:3 on Aztecs SE this was a bad move IMO.

A poll on Gallifrey Base suggests 77% of 497 people who have currently responded to the poll are still going to buy it immediately. Personally it doesn't bother me as The Aztecs is my favourite existing first doctor story, and I'm happy to pay for it again, but that poll suggests Worldwide are correct in thinking they can get people to buy this 'special edition', in spite of complaints about double dipping.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    A poll on Gallifrey Base suggests 77% of 497 people who have currently responded to the poll are still going to buy it immediately. Personally it doesn't bother me as The Aztecs is my favourite existing first doctor story, and I'm happy to pay for it again, but that poll suggests Worldwide are correct in thinking they can get people to buy this 'special edition', in spite of complaints about double dipping.

I will be picking it up whenever it is released or soon thereafter. I am also looking forward to Reign of Terror. I not only want to see the story, but I am also very curious to see how they did the animation. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking up all of the information on Vidfire and it would seem that 2006 would be about the date when they perfected it. As a result, can we probably eventually expect to see any classic Dr. Who which was released on DVD prior to that year be given the special edition treatment?
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VidFire is only used on sixties stories isn't it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gslam2 wrote: »
    VidFire is only used on sixties stories isn't it?

some pertwee as well.
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone had trouble getting hold of claws of axos special edition?against my better judgement sold on my old copy but could not get in asda and the copy i ordered from amazon seems to have gone AWOL.might end up buying back my old copy at this rate!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    I got mine from Sainsbury's after watching new Bond 'Skyfall', my friend works there and got me 15% off so got it for £11.00, a good night indeed !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anyone had trouble getting hold of claws of axos special edition?against my better judgement sold on my old copy but could not get in asda and the copy i ordered from amazon seems to have gone AWOL.might end up buying back my old copy at this rate!

My copy from play.com turned up quite late ie the wednesday after release.I think somedistributers had been getting late but I would chase amazon up
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    some pertwee as well.

So, should one wait to purchase pre-2006 released 1st, 2nd and 3rd Doctor stories until the Special Edition is released with the new and improved Vidfire process?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    So, should one wait to purchase pre-2006 released 1st, 2nd and 3rd Doctor stories until the Special Edition is released with the new and improved Vidfire process?

I thought I read that the VidFire process was only lacking in two releases, the Aztecs being one of them?

Can't recall where I read that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sohoguy wrote: »
    I thought I read that the VidFire process was only lacking in two releases, the Aztecs being one of them?

Can't recall where I read that

Hmmmm.... from the Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Doctor_Who_DVD_releases

These are all of the dates of DVD releases for the first three doctors which took place on or before 2006 - 2006 really does seem to be the cutoff date for Special Editions (better Vidfire) (all dates are Region 1 - some 2013s are assumed) and where they have been made into Special Editions (with the appropriate Vidfire processes) when applicable:

First Doctor:

The Beginning Box Set - 2006
    001 - An Unearthly Child (4 episodes)
    002 - The Daleks (7 episodes)
    003 - The Edge of Destruction (2 episodes)

006 - The Aztecs - 2003
    The Aztecs Special Edition - 2013

010 - The Dalek Invasion of Earth - 2003

013 - The Web Planet - 2006

Lost in Time Vol.1 - 2004

Second Doctor

037 - Tomb of the Cybermen - 2002
    Tomb of the Cybermen Special Edition - 2012

045 - The Mind Robber - 2005

048 - The Seeds of Death - 2004
    The Seeds of Death Special Edition - 2012

Lost in Time vol. 2 - 2004

Third Doctor

051 - Spearhead from Space - 2001
    Spearhead from Space Special Edition - 2012

054 - Inferno - 2006
    Inferno Special Edition - 2013

057 - The Claws of Axos - 2005
    The Claws of Axos Special Edition - 2012

065 - The Three Doctors - 2004
    The Three Doctors Special Edition - 2012

066 - Carnival of Monsters - 2003
    Carnival of Monsters Special Edition - 2012

069 - The Green Death - 2005

However, the Special Editions don't stop there:

Fourth Doctor

076 - The Ark in Space - 2002
    The Ark in Space Special Edition - 2013

078 - Genesis of the Daleks - 2006

082 - Pyramids of Mars - 2004

087 - The Hand of Fear - 2006

090 - The Robots of Death - 2001
    The Robots of Death Special Edition - 2012

091 - The Talons of Weng-Chiang - 2003
    The Talons of Weng-Chaing Special Edition - 2011

092 - Horror of Fang Rock - 2005

098-103 - The Key to Time - 2002
    The Key to Time Special Edition - 2009

105 - City of Death - 2005

110 - The Leisure Hive - 2005

Fifth Doctor

120 - The Visitation - 2005

122 - Earthshock - 2004

130 - The Five Doctors – Special Edition - 2001
    The Five Doctors - 25th Anniversary Edition - 2008

134 - Resurrection of the Daleks - 2003
    Resurrection of the Daleks Special Edition - 2012

136 - The Caves of Androzani - 2002
    The Caves of Androzani Special Edition - 2012

Sixth Doctor

139 - Vengeance on Varos - 2003
    Vengeance of Varos Special Edition - 2012

140 - The Mark of the Rani - 2006

141 - The Two Doctors - 2004

143 - Revelation of the Daleks - 2006

Seventh Doctor

152 - Remembrance of the Daleks - 2002
    Remembrance of the Daleks Special Edition - 2010

157 - Ghost Light - 2005

158 - The Curse of Fenric - 2004

Eighth Doctor

160 - Doctor Who: The Movie - 2001 (Region 2 only)
    Doctor Who: The Movie Special Edition - 2011

So, after looking at everything, every single classic Doctor has some dvds released prior to 2007 and, as a result, every single classic Doctor has at least one Special Edition.

If we take out of the list the serials which have already seen special editions, that leaves:

1st:
    The Beginnings Box Set
    006 - The Aztecs (coming in 2013)
    010 - The Dalek Invasion of Earth
    013 - The Web Planet
    Lost in Time Vol.1
    2nd:
    045 - The Mind Robber
    Lost in Time vol. 2
    3rd:
    054 - Inferno (coming in 2013)
    069 - The Green Death
    4th:
    078 - Genesis of the Daleks
    082 - Pyramids of Mars
    087 - The Hand of Fear
    092 - Horror of Fang Rock
    105 - City of Death
    110 - The Leisure Hive
    5th:
    120 - The Visitation
    122 - Earthshock
    6th:
    140 - The Mark of the Rani
    141 - The Two Doctors
    143 - Revelation of the Daleks
    and 7th:
    157 - Ghost Light
    158 - The Curse of Fenric

I think, at this point, that as well as working on the animations for the missing episodes, that we will see the Special Editions (better Vidfire) versions of all of the above DVDs be released within the next four or five years. (I think that I will personally refrain from adding any of the above to my collection until the Special Edition is released so that I do not have to purchase it twice.)

What do y'all think?
  • bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what do i think?ever decreasing circles:sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what do i think?ever decreasing circles:sleep:

Could you clarify, please?