Flying to NYC on Monday. F**king petrified.

Comments

• RegTheHedgeRegTheHedge Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iNCY wrote: »
    Is it really a good idea to take valium? Even though its very unlikely in an emergency situation I'd like to be fully alert.

If it calms - why not .Personally I keep a stash of Valium for very purpose of sleeping on planes and have done for years .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I found out recently why passengers are instructed to lean forward in the event of an imminent crash. It's nothing to do with safety - it's to protect your skull and teeth should they have to identify you via dental records after the crash / fireball.

And that's absolutely true.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenbonjovi wrote: »
    Alcohol is the best cure for fear of flying. ;) I flew to Dubai and got so drunk I don't remember most of it, now I never fly sober.

Agree. I try never to fly sober. Even on a 6am flight.

The best thing alcohol does for you is knock you out so that you can sleep. Flying to terribly boring otherwise.
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On his first time flying my son (aged 10 at the time) took some episodes of his favourite program to watch on his MP4 player during the flight.

Air crash investigation.

There's relaxed, and there's really relaxed.

:D He is like me! I love that show and also a black humour enough to watch them on a flight.

Bet many others would share my humour.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Imagine revisiting this thread if his plane really did crash.
  • PlebbianPlebbian Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    If you are flying with BA in the world traveller or world traveller plus cabin, you should be able to watch a film from the moment you get to your seat now, if this helps distract you.

And you can only do that flying in those two cabins as club and first still need to stow their screens during take-off and landing!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casual wrote: »
    I'm sure that's not allowed on airplanes :eek:

PMSL, sorry about that, silly iPad keyboard auto-correct. Of course I meant to say 'invited me' :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plebbian wrote: »
    If you are flying with BA in the world traveller or world traveller plus cabin, you should be able to watch a film from the moment you get to your seat now, if this helps distract you.

And you can only do that flying in those two cabins as club and first still need to stow their screens during take-off and landing!

However, on the other hand, if you are flying Club or First they serve you champagne from the moment you sit down.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RonnieL wrote: »
    I found out recently why passengers are instructed to lean forward in the event of an imminent crash. It's nothing to do with safety - it's to protect your skull and teeth should they have to identify you via dental records after the crash / fireball.

And that's absolutely true.

Now, now, stop winding up the OP.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Or is the OP winding US up?? :eek: :cool:
  • lyndalahugheslyndalahughes Posts: 270
    Forum Member

I'm world traveller plus, I don't like to be too extravagant, but I also don't want just the basics.
  • PlebbianPlebbian Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    However, on the other hand, if you are flying Club or First they serve you champagne from the moment you sit down.

Starbucks at T5 sells mini bottle of Moet for those in WT or WTP interested ;)
    Forum Member
    Starbucks at T5 sells mini bottle of Moet for those in WT or WTP interested ;)

Wow, thanks for that info, I may grab a few bottles.
  • flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can get medication from your doctor ! The only fear is fear itself because yu have no control over what happens (ie takeing off and landing). i certainly would not drink alcohol whatsoever,especially if on medication !
    The problem with flying is that it really gets very boreing and the mind tends to wander but i would say that in 99.9% of all flights the most exciting things that happen is getting on and off the plane .
    I have flown many times and maybe one flight we had a few bumps before landing. wow ! that was it .
    Basically flying is like a long distance coach ride without the view of the road and a down sight safer too ! Coach journeys is something i hate and just dont like the feeling i get from travelling on the road.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Ok so I'm flying to New York JFK on Monday from London Heathrow and I cant take my mind of it. I don't know what to do I'm just so anxious. I havent flown since I was 12...

It's a hulking boeing 747 to make things worse...

I guess what scares me most is take off, the motion, the angle when the plane banks... ugh

I've never had a panic attack before but this anticipation is killing me. I thought I'd be okay but this is getting worse and worse. Theres no going back.. I need help

I have got one good bit of advice for you. Wear your seat belt throughout the entire flight (other than visiting the bog etc. obviously), in the unlikely event of there being severe air turbulence on the way, so you literally won't be bounced around the cabin.
    HALibutt wrote: »
    OP, whatever you do before you go, do not, repeat, DO NOT watch FINAL DESTINATION 1.

Ok?

Or Passenger 57, Airplane, Die Hard 2 or Snakes On A Plane etc. :D Ideal in flight movies I reckon.
  • markmagmarkmag Posts: 3,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first ever flight was to New York so I know what you're going through.

Just do whatever helps you relax (could be as simple as put an elastic band round your wrist and pull on it, or play a tune in your head). If the timing works then don't sleep before hand so you'll fall asleep on the flight. Don't drink coffee, drink plenty of water, and remember it's the absolute safest form of transport - you'll be fine.

I had loads of turbulence and was sick, but survived to tell the tale...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, thanks for that info, I may grab a few bottles.

Although, technically it is against airline (and CAA) rules to drink your own alcohol on board just as pubs don't allow you to bring your own drinks. If you are discrete it shouldn't be a problem but maybe popping champagne bottles would be noticeable.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Although, technically it is against airline (and CAA) rules to drink your own alcohol on board just as pubs don't allow you to bring your own drinks. If you are discrete it shouldn't be a problem but maybe popping champagne bottles would be noticeable.

Oh, you're right. I'd best not risk it. The booze is complimentary, maybe they'll have cava for the lower classes? :)
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I once read Nando Parrado's autobiography (the Ethan Hawke character in Alive) at an airport departure lounge and then on the plane, lovely cover shot of a plane crashed into mountains & all. It took me til halfway across the Atlantic before I realised why people kept glaring at me.

OP, you'll be fine. Tell the cabin crew you're nervous, they'll look after you.

I love flying! Wish I was jetting off somewhere.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I once read Nando Parrado's autobiography (the Ethan Hawke character in Alive) at an airport departure lounge and then on the plane, lovely cover shot of a plane crashed into mountains & all. It took me til halfway across the Atlantic before I realised why people kept glaring at me.

Just as a bit of trivia. Wesley Snipes in the film Passenger 57 is reading a book called 'The Art Of War' on board the plane, a film he also starred in.
    imdb wrote:
    While on the plane Wesley Snipes reads the book 'The Art of War'. Snipes later stared in the film The Art of War that was loosely based on the book.
  • zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't flown on a plane before and I really don't want to. School trips abroard usually require flying as transport which is why I didn't want to go on them. Luckily, in March, I am going to Belgium but going on a ferry and returning by Eurostar. The cabin crew should look after you. I would feel the same way. I would have major panic attacks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    Ok so I'm flying to New York JFK on Monday from London Heathrow and I cant take my mind of it. I don't know what to do I'm just so anxious. I havent flown since I was 12...

I guess what scares me most is take off, the motion, the angle when the plane banks... ugh

I've never had a panic attack before but this anticipation is killing me. I thought I'd be okay but this is getting worse and worse. Theres no going back.. I need help

Just remember, every hour of every day, there are hundreds of people safely completing plane journeys. Even as you read this post, planes full of people are safely taking off and landing somewhere. You may think of it as something exceptional but in fact its as everyday occurrence.

Remind yourself that flying is a totally mundane, ordinary thing that thousands of ordinary people are doing constantly, every day and hopefully some of the pent up stress will go.

Have a great trip to nyc! I'm very jealous!
  • PaleHorsePaleHorse Posts: 5,681
    Forum Member
    whatever you do, just don't imagine the plane inexplicably blowing up and all of the passengers flying through the air ablaze, their charred remains sending a sprinkling of ash across the night sky.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sure you'll be ok and this isn't your final destination.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can i have the tickets if you change your mind? :D