Can't Get Digital Channel through VCR

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
Forum Member
I bought a Digilogic DSTB1000 Freeview Box from Tescos, no problems, works fine. However I can't get my VCR to tune into the Digital channel, I've tried all permutations of connecting the Scart and Loop through cables, although I have connected as per Digilogics Instructions. My TV is a Mitisbushi CT-25 AV 1B and my VCR is an AIWA HV-FX5100K, could anyone tell me if there could be a reason why I can't get the Digital channel through my VCR please. According to the VCR instructions I should be able to tune in VCR Channel 6 to a satellite or cable box, I thought the Digibox would be the same.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tune to the AV channel/Line1 via a scart lead going into your VCR from the digibox
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scart wire up should be.....

TV - Freeview - VHS
    *the freeview should have 2 scarts on the back.
    **If the VHS has more than one scart, use the the main scart - usually marked "in/out".

Aerial cord hook up should be....

aerial - Freeview - VHS - TV

Best not to record from an aerial (rf) preset button like No.6. You record in mono from a digibox that way, and get a worse recording picture wise, and some Freeview boxes dont support that feature. Instead, on the VHS, select the relevent scart input, such as AV1, or Line1, or whatever its called on your machine.

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the info. but unfortunately still no joy. I tried all permutations, and as recommended, but stiil no digital channel through to VCR. I tried using different scart a rf cables just in case there was a duff one...no joy. I tried changing the VCR to my granddaughters Sony VCR...still no joy. I can only assume that if we get a good digital signal through to the TV then that same signal should be picked up by the VCR, even if I have to manually tune into it. Although, the difference between an analogue signal and a digital signal could be the stumbling block, I guess somehow the VCR has to recognise the digital signal???
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First off, does the Digilogic box have two SCART sockets on the back?

If so they are most likely labelled TV and VCR so the first thing is to connect these up as follows.

Digilogic "TV" SCART --> TV SCART
    Digilogic "VCR" SCART --> VCR SCART

You then need to find out how to select the SCART input on the VCR. It may be called something like AUX, AU, AV or E (maybe followed by a number if there is more than one SCART). Some VCR's have a button called "INPUT", "SOURCE" or maybe "AV" on the remote to select this. Alternatively on some VCR's if you use the Up/Down programme select buttons to switch from 1 to 0 then down again you often get the SCART input. If all else fails consult the manual :)

Presumably you did not have to tune the TV into the Digilogic box? If the Digilogic picture appears on the TV simply by switching it on then you are watching digital TV via the SCART input on the TV.

It is quite likely that the Digilogic does not have a UHF modulator (this generates a signal equivalent to the analogue broadcast signals you get via the aerial) which is why you cannot find it by trying to tune the VCR as you would if trying to find BBC1 say.
    Forum Member
    The Digilogic instructions show the layout and connections for the Scart and Rf cables connected to a VCR & TV so presumably the box is designed for use with a VCR.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Digilogic instructions show the layout and connections for the Scart and Rf cables connected to a VCR & TV so presumably the box is designed for use with a VCR.

Your digilogic box is designed to work with your VCR but as people are trying to tell you, not in the way you perhaps are used to.

The RF lead is connected from the digilogic box to the VCR and then onto the TV as suggested in the manual. However this signal through the RF lead only carries the terrestial channels 1-5 and this allows your VCR and TV to pick up these channels as normal. However the digilogic box does not ouput the digital channels through the RF lead as the box does not contain a modulator - it just loops the channels 1-5 through.

The digital channels are only ouput through your scart leads, one going to the TV and one going to the VCR. As chrisjr explained, when you set up your VCR to record you choose AV ( some VCRs will call this EXT or LINE1 ) instead of 1,2,3,4 or 5 as your recording "channel". You will not be able to record from channel 6 as the digilocic box doesn't send its digital signal this way.
  • samtheqtsamtheqt Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    I bought a Digilogic DSTB1000 Freeview Box from Tescos, no problems, works fine. However I can't get my VCR to tune into the Digital channel, I've tried all permutations of connecting the Scart and Loop through cables, although I have connected as per Digilogics Instructions. My TV is a Mitisbushi CT-25 AV 1B and my VCR is an AIWA HV-FX5100K, could anyone tell me if there could be a reason why I can't get the Digital channel through my VCR please. According to the VCR instructions I should be able to tune in VCR Channel 6 to a satellite or cable box, I thought the Digibox would be the same.

i have a thomson dti1000 box and a sanyo video player. on the thomson box in the menu it has tv setup and in that section it has a thing called modulator channel and on my box its set to 22. when i also tune my tv in ( beko tv ) it finds the freeview box on channel 22 without scart. perhaps u could try and see if ure box has a modulator channel and dont use a scart plug.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    The Digilogic definitely does NOT have an RF modulator.

The only way to get it on a VCR is to connect the two with a Scart lead and select the external input on the VCR.

When your VCR instructions tell you to tune in Channel 6 they are assuming that the external box has an RF modulator.

The Digilogic does have two Scart sockets so connect one to your TV (which you presumably have done already) and the other to the VCR. You then need to switch the VCR to the external input in one of the ways people have already mentioned.

All the above assumes your VCR has a Scart socket :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    The Digilogic definitely does NOT have an RF modulator.

The only way to get it on a VCR is to connect the two with a Scart lead and select the external input on the VCR.

:

Or get one of these:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=33050&doy=6m8
    Forum Member
    I sent an e to AIWA support, the manufacturer of my VCR, and from the clear instructions I received by prompt reply from Allan Haines of their customer support Department I am now recording successfully from my STB inc. Video+. :)

My VCR is around 5 years old, I wasn't expecting a reply to my query but I did get a personal e mail back. My advice is --- Buy AIWA!!!.

Many thanks for the advice I received from this forum.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sent an e to AIWA support, the manufacturer of my VCR, and from the clear instructions I received by prompt reply from Allan Haines of their customer support Department I am now recording successfully from my STB inc. Video+. :)

My VCR is around 5 years old, I wasn't expecting a reply to my query but I did get a personal e mail back. My advice is --- Buy AIWA!!!.

Many thanks for the advice I received from this forum.

It may help others if you posted the method that Aiwa told you ????? :)
    Forum Member
    SORRY, PLEASE FIND BELOW THE CONTENT OF THE E I RECEIVED FROM AIWA SUPPORT.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the HVFX5100.

Although I do not have a manual for this unit personally, I believe that
    this unit has two scart sockets. I will describe a way of connecting your
    unit under the assumption that it has two. If it has only one, please do
    not hesitate to contact us again.

STB and VCR connectivity:

1.) Scart connection from bottom socket of the VCR (AV1) to the TV (any free
    scart socket you may have on the TV)

2.) Scart from STB to VCR top socket (AV2)

3.) Scart from STB (if you have another socket) to the TV (if you have
    another socket)

Go to your VCR channel on your TV (the channel you go to when playing
    videos).

If you wish to record from the STB, simply press "Input select" on the
    remote for the VCR (if there is no input select press "AV") until "AV2" is
    displayed on the VCR.

You will then be able to see the freeview channels going through the VCR to
    the TV. Whatever channel the STB happens to be on, you will now be able to record.

Please be aware that you are still able to do timer recordings manually and
    by using video plus, just remember that the "channel" you are recording on
    the video, is "AV2" and not 1, 2, 3 or 4 etc. Your freeview will appear on
    channel AV2, and therefore this is the channel you must set the recording to
    occur on.

This should give you all the information you need to record from Freeview, a
    lot of diagrams and instruction manuals tend to complicate things, but the
    above should break it down.

If you have any further questions or problems please do not hesitate to
    contact us.

With regards

Allan Haines
    For and on behalf of
    Aiwa Business Division
    Forum Member
    I'VE EDITED THE TEXT A LITTLE TO MAKE IT MORE UNDERSTANDABLE.

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the HVFX5100.

Although I do not have a manual for this unit personally, I believe that this unit has two scart sockets. I will describe a way of connecting your
    unit under the assumption that it has two. If it has only one, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

STB and VCR connectivity:

1.) Scart connection from bottom socket of the VCR (AV1) to the TV (any free scart socket you may have on the TV)

2.) Scart from STB to VCR top socket (AV2)

3.) Scart from STB (if you have another socket) to the TV (if you have another socket)

Go to your VCR channel on your TV (the channel you go to when playing videos).

If you wish to record from the STB, simply press "Input select" on the remote for the VCR (if there is no input select press "AV") until "AV2" is displayed on the VCR.

You will then be able to see the freeview channels going through the VCR to the TV. Whatever channel the STB happens to be on, you will now be able to record.

Please be aware that you are still able to do timer recordings manually and by using video plus, just remember that the "channel" you are recording on
    the video, is "AV2" and not 1, 2, 3 or 4 etc. Your freeview will appear on channel AV2, and therefore this is the channel you must set the recording to occur on.

This should give you all the information you need to record from Freeview, a lot of diagrams and instruction manuals tend to complicate things, but the above should break it down.

If you have any further questions or problems please do not hesitate to contact us.

With regards

Allan Haines
    For and on behalf of
    Aiwa Business Division